What to do with egg YOLKS?

Options

Replies

• Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol doesn't affect blood cholesterol.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Eat them....or google for recipes
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Eat them. You can make mayonnaise with them, or custards. But the best is just to eat those delicious little liquid chickens :tongue:

:sick: Horrible way to think of an egg!
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of egg whites, and prefer the real thing to eggbeaters and such... which means I waste a lot of egg yolks!

Do you have any recipes for healthy things to do with the discarded egg yolk? I'd love to not feel so wasteful about it.

Use them for your hair. I found a recipe in a magazine for shiny hair:
    1 egg yolk
    2T rum
    2T grapeseed oil
    2T olive oil
    You mix it up, put it on your hair, wrap it in a warm towel for 30 minutes and rinse it out. It is supposed to make your hair really shiny and soft. I haven't tried it yet but there's an egg yolk sitting in the fridge at home waiting for me. :-)
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    Those saying, "give it to the dog", do you give raw?

I put my raw ones in the trash, but sometimes I eat them when boiled. If not, I give the boiled yolks to the dogs.

It became such a big deal if they even SMELL me open the egg container they start giving me the "oh pleeeassse!!" eyes!

Wonderful, thank you.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I eat them! ^_^

Sometimes I poach them in water until they're basically hard boiled, then I can sprinkle them on salads or mix them into tuna or salmon salad.

You can also freeze them for later. You just have to stabilize them first... for savory, mix with salt - for sweet, mix with sugar. Then you can defrost them for sauces or custards later.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Gone are the days where people believe the yolks are bad for you they aren't!!!! Eat them and enjoy every minute of them!!! Good and good for you!!!!
  • Jolkapolka
    Options
    I avoid eating eggs (whites and yolks) altogether because of factory farming practices and because the balance of scientific evidence indicates that they are not a healthful food to eat. (If you would like to learn more about it, you can read/watch it here: http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/eggs/ ). However, I also really hate to waste anything, especially food. I did a quick search on the internet and found that a good non-edible solution might be to make your own cosmetics (like a face mask). Just do a search for "Egg Yolk Face Mask Recipes" and you'll be able to find many recipes. Maybe you can make extra masks for your friends.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Eat them or give them to your dog(s).
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Eat them. You can make mayonnaise with them, or custards. But the best is just to eat those delicious little liquid chickens :tongue:

LOL. yep! =)
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Throw them away! Yuck!!
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    eat them...they're delicious
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I had about a dozen yolks by themselves this weekend. I love to eat them, but damn they cause some gnarly protein farts lol!

LOL haha nice
  • samasche1
    samasche1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had about a dozen yolks by themselves this weekend. I love to eat them, but damn they cause some gnarly protein farts lol!

Giving them to your dog is a great idea--but if you think human protein farts are gnarly-you have another thing commin'! You have been warned! ;)
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    Eat them
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Those saying, "give it to the dog", do you give raw?

I give my Doberman a whole egg complete with the shell just cracked in her bowl and she eats the lot! She in on raw meaty bone diet and I am sure she just thinks the shell is a weak, easily cracked, bone :laugh:

She is 8.5 years old, healthy as a horse, and at 32kg a perfect weight so it's not doing her any harm :happy:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just eat them right along with the whites.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Eat them
    Make custard
    Eat them . . .
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    Does nobody else just buy the egg whites in the carton? I'll pick up regular eggs on occasion, but this is just more economical.

edit: herpity derp not reading the whole thread.