What to do with egg YOLKS?

Options

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something here? You plan to eat them in another form... uhm, ever consider eating them WITH the white, as in just eat the whole egg...? :flowerforyou:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Three Words - Key. Lime. Pie.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    why would you not eat them and then ask what you can do to eat them? eat em up! i hear that the yolk isn't the demonic creature it was once believed.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I give them to my dog.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of egg whites, and prefer the real thing to eggbeaters and such... which means I waste a lot of egg yolks!

Do you have any recipes for healthy things to do with the discarded egg yolk? I'd love to not feel so wasteful about it.

EDIT: Never mind, I see a string of questions like mine.

There is a bunch of conflicting research as to whether LDL ("bad") cholesterol numbers are actually affected by the ingestion of cholesterol. Personally, I eat the whole egg. Always have. Nearly every day. And my LDL numbers (last tested about 40 pounds ago) are low (in fact, my overall cholesterol was low, so I needed to work on raising my HDL levels).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat them or use them on your face for a quick facial. you can also add a bit to your conditioner to make a protein rinse, just be sure to rinse off with cool water or else you'll get scrambled eggs
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My Pomeranian is 14 years old and about to be 15 (yes he's that old.)
    He's really skinny and needs to gain weight so I've been feeding him egg yolks and HE LOVES THEM
    They're great for dogs and I think they should help him a lot with gaining weight and getting him to eat.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Egg yolks are very nutritious, you sure you don't want to eat them? The cholesterol isn't as damaging as saturated fats are. Plus your body needs some cholesterol.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    eat them or use them on your face for a quick facial. you can also add a bit to your conditioner to make a protein rinse, just be sure to rinse off with cool water or else you'll get scrambled eggs

LOL
  • SweetPickle007
    Options
    If you choose to give them to your k9 friend should they be cooked ..just wondering.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    So obviously no one has cholesterol problems here?
    Thank you! I was wondering when someone was going to bring up how one egg yolk contains more than two-thirds of the recommended daily intake of 300 mg of cholesterol...good for you my butt.

I like ice cream/baked goods more than egg yolks, so I like to spend my cholesterol intake on that instead of the yolks!

But yes I feed yolks to my dog. He sits patiently drooling for it every morning.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Eat them. All the nutrition of the egg is in the yolk. And saturated fat and cholesterol are very, very important and very, very healthy...especially for women. (if you look at all the evidence from all the statin trials you will find that the best cholesterol range for lowest all-cause mortality - this is heart related issues, stroke, and cancers - for women is between 250-300. (Men is between 200-250)

The egg is the perfect health food. (It's got to be. The forming baby chick has no access to mama's nutrition. Saturated fat, protein, and cholesterol. Everything needed for the perfect baby chick!)

This is also the main ingredients in Mama's breast milk. Saturated fat is stable and protective (why our body makes sure to keep about 40% or our fat storage saturated. Cholesterol is critical to life.)

Take a look at my diary - I think it's public. This is what I have eaten thus far - I only logged to make sure I'm getting enough fat. Dinner is always my biggest meal. I have to make sure to eat enough fat or my weight starts dropping too low.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I make vanilla custard ice cream. You need 8 yolks for a 1.5 quart batch.

You can also freeze egg yolks for up to a month. Same with whites.
  • leelavic
    leelavic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lemon curd: http://americanfood.about.com/od/desserts/r/lemcurd.htm
    Feed to cat - nice pretty fur.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The only time I separate my white from the yolk is if I am doing a hair / face mask (or my recipe calls for it). Mix Egg Yolk and Olive Oil with Honey and it makes a great mask for hair and skin, use more Olive Oil and less honey for the hair or you get a sticky mess. I leave the hair mask on for about 30 minuets in a damp warm towel (about 20 for the face mask); also don't rise it out / off with hot water use lukewarm or you get cooked eggs. :wink: :laugh:
  • Fasbold
    Fasbold Posts: 29
    Options
    Way back egg yolks were evil because of cholesterol. More recent studies debunk that idea. I eat them.

The only thing I know of to separate them for is merenge and certain types of frosting, which I don't like anyway. ;)
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    HA! I'm allergic and would LOVE to be able to chow down on any part of an egg including the yolk. I'd not throw any of it away. :D
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I hate egg yolk so I throw them away, or once in a while will make my husband an omelet.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    eat them...