How are YOU beating the heat, runners?

Options
I recently got pretty addicted to running since starting C25k three weeks ago. HOWEVER, it regularly reaches over 100 in this part of the country (Oklahoma). I've started getting up at 6 am, which I have to say, is a miracle for me to get used to. How are you all beating the heat?

Replies

• SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Tenoreo, where are you? I'm in Stillwater.

I'm not running right now, partially due to the heat, but mostly due to a foot injury.

That said, last year (remember? Taht hottest summer ever? ACK!) I did the vast majority of my running on the Dreadmill. I usually run at 5:30am, but even at that time, it was 80 most mornings. It's currently running (no pun intended!) about 72 at that time of day.

I'm a wimp with the heat. I won't run if it's over about 72. I *could* ... but I hate it and then I get de-motivated. De-motivation es no bueno.

FTR, I'm still working out, but I"m lifting weights, doing short distances on the treadmill, Zumba, Boot camp, Aqua Zumba, walking, etc ...
  • kfbayard
    kfbayard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Waking up early is mainly but what I've been doing. Also giving myself permission to walk parts of the run. Oh and lots of water before and after.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    early morning and late evening runnning!
  • Sarah0289
    Sarah0289 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am very jealous! Here in central England is the exact opposit problem, you can't run because it rains so much these days you might drown!!! Swap you a hot sweaty run for a freezing cold, drenched through to the skin one :)
  • Dionysus35
    Dionysus35 Posts: 74
    Options
    Yeah, I go for my runs at 0500. It's still muggy, but not unbearable.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I can't stand getting up early, let alone working out right when I wake up. I really prefer night jogging myself. I get to look at the stars, it's cooler out, and no one can see how horrible I look except my neon tank top haha!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I run till my HR hits about 190-195, than walk until it drops back to about 160, then repeat. This cycle just goes alot faster in the heat! I also run in the evening, so outrunning the mosquitoes provides great motivation
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I get up and run at 4:00 am (was still sweating from my shins this morning--how is that even possible?!)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I run @ 4pm when I get home.
    Going to be almost 100 today.

Slow Down
    Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate!!!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Treadmill in the gym :) Oh yeah..Plus here it's like 60 degrees a little chilly sometimes rainy and windy..
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not, it's beating me! ;)

I can't do it, I just can't. It's often 100 here for long stretches. I would run late at night/early AM but I don't really feel safe in the dark. If I was single or didn't have kids I'd be more cavalier about running during those hours.

So until I have a treadmill (or am a more impressive/seasoned runner) it's all indoors. Pilates, yoga, weights.

FWIW, I don't mind riding in the heat, even with a helmet/breeches/boots. Not sure why -- maybe because it requires so much concentration that I don't notice the heat.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I run in the early morning before the sun comes up or if I must run in the afternoon, I do so immediately after or during a light rain. (As long as there is no lightning.)
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Joined Planet Fitness! $10 a month and running in AC. Can't beat it! Of course I'm afraid I won't be able to run "for real" when this heat lets up some and I go back outside.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning.

And I try to hit as many sprinklers as possible :)
  • Dionysus35
    Dionysus35 Posts: 74
    Options
    I get up and run at 4:00 am (was still sweating from my shins this morning--how is that even possible?!)

4:00am? I thought I was doing well at 5. Well done..... well done.
  • tetracat
    tetracat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My sister and I have been doing our runs at night, around 10pm. With all the creepers that are out in the dark...
    I did the treadmill today on my lunch break. It's 96 outside right now!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm in Kansas - a little better, but not much. I am not a morning person either, but 5am is a beautiful thing in the summer. It's the coolest part of the day, and no one else is up so at least I don't have to talk to anyone. LOL
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I beat the heat by running faster so not only am I exposed to the elements less...but I get to feel more of the cool wind rushing over my body.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Me, too, with my dog...actually, more like 5:30. But the shin sweats?! The knee-cap sweats?! Really!?!?
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Early morning or late evening or treadmill at the gym. Running with bottles of ice sometimes helps too. Coolness and water to drink as the ice melts.