How are YOU beating the heat, runners?

Options

Replies

• cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm beating the heat by not running this week!

I'm down to the last 4 weeks of training before my half marathon, and I'm confident enough that I don't want to risk the injury potential that comes with pushing it out there in the intense heat we are having right now. I went out every day two weeks ago when we had the first heat wave, and by the middle of the week I was a mess. I was having problems focusing and even talking straight. So taking a few days off this week, and calling it a reset week before hitting the home stretch.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    usually i pour myself a glass of wine, and fire up the internet...
    i'll go to one of my frequented sites of smut, and wrap my left hand around the base of...

holy crap this is embarrassing...TOTALLY thought you were wondering how runners are beating the meat. fack...sorry.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    same. running at 6am. i dont mind it much.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i'll go to one of my frequented sites of smut, and wrap my left hand around the base of...

holy crap this is embarrassing...TOTALLY thought you were wondering how runners are beating the meat. fack...sorry.

seriously??? a glass of wine??
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm not beating it. It's beating me every day. But that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • skullshank
    Options

seriously??? a glass of wine??

what can i say....im a romantic with a sophisticated palate.
  • cubizzle
    Options

lefty eh
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Like you, I'm getting up earlier. 5am here in Nebraska to run in the 70's!
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes run in this crap (in Boston where it's pretty hot these days). I'm not a morning person - so going out at 4:30 or 5 is not my thing. Today I did the treadmill and a spinning class to break up the monotony of running on a machine.
  • skullshank
    Options

lefty eh

yeah...why bother messing with the mouse settings...it's like learning to write with your non-dominant hand...it may not be necessary, but in the end, its a skill you can really put to use.
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    I use the treadmill at an incline of 2. The incline was suggested by my trainer so that it would be more like running on the road. Good luck in your journey!
  • cubizzle
    Options

lefty eh

yeah...why bother messing with the mouse settings...it's like learning to write with your non-dominant hand...it may not be necessary, but in the end, its a skill you can really put to use.

just go with the MAC man. It's much easier to use the left hand with the mouse. At least that's what I've been told.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have tried for at least 2 weeks to get up at 6 in the morning and can't get awake enough to stay awake, so I go running after my class in the evening. I also alternate with walking (on the days I don't run), dancing, and strength training. sadly in Ohio, its been reaching between 90-100 so its like crap!

The only days I have been awake at 6 or before was for my 5Ks.
  • RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been running on the treadmill. I know I need to get outside and run, but I'm definitely not a morning person. Also when I do exercise in the evening my legs are restless when I go to sleep. Although sometimes its just the trick and I pass out...

To beat the 'dread' of the treadmill, I always change up the settings. I change the speed every two minutes and try to increase throughout the run. It seems that 3-4 miles is good for me before I start getting bored. I did 6 once and that was pretty boring. Can't wait to get back out there on the road!
  • evalt1
    evalt1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Drink water. Bring some with you if you have to. My NEW route passes by a couple of parks with fountains. Last week it was 100 and I cut my run short. First time I stopped running and walked this year. I’m much slower in the heat. I believe we can adapt and it will get easier. Drink water.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Yep, like most others, I'm getting up early. I start my runs at about 5 am. It helps wake me up in the morning, which is something I need anyway. I think I'll actually be sad when it starts getting too dark.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    During the week, I hit the treadmill or just suck it up and run in the heat. I'm typically pretty shaky after more than 3 miles in 100 degree weather but not dying and not hating it either. I always hydrate all day and I run with a buddy. On Saturdays, I get up "early" normally between 7-8 AM and go get my distance in, but looking at next Saturday's forecast of 108, I better be up and running by 6 AM.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm running at 0500 on the indoor track at the Y. Feel a bit like a rat in a maze, but it's working for me.
  • scott1080
    scott1080 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    up and running by 6 am for me