How are YOU beating the heat, runners?

Options

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I run (also in Tulsa) at 5am. This morning I even noticed a nice cool breeze while I was out! I just carry a small bottle of pepper spray in my sports bra since it is dark at that time, but it doesnt bother me at all. Saturdays I do a long run and just make sure to hydrate like crazy, wear a mesh hat and techy fabric like addidas climacool gear.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My preferred time to run is 05:00 but I have a race coming up in a few weeks which means running a couple of times a week in the heat to acclimate my body.

Make sure you're well hydrated, try to find a shady area to run in, wear a hat, take water with you if your run is going to be 90 minutes or more and slow down a bit. My 10K run yesterday took 1:05, slow but manageable for the heat
  • mangohead100
    Options
    -early morning runs. i also change things up with indoor cardio classes at the gym and swimming at the public pool (great cardio and much easier on my joints!)
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I am in Baton Rouge, LA and we are definitely no strangers to heat! The heat index here can get around 110 degrees as well as 90% humidity. But with that being said, I do my best running in this miserable heat. I run at around 5pm when I get home on weekdays and on weekends I run around 7am. I just pace myself and save my "best times" for when it's not as hot outside. Just stay hydrated and I find it best when I walk a while after finishing my run before going straight into the air condititoned house! Good Luck!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The heat and humidity has been horrible here in Nebraska too. I've been going out before dawn and getting my runs in. Humidity is still bad but it's tolerable. Drive on! Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run early because I can. If that didn't work in my schedule, i would run whenever I could. The heat is just another obstacle to overcome. When it's hot, you just have to slow down. Anywhere from 30 second to a minute per mile slower than usual. And hydrate ALL.DAY.LONG. If you wait until you start to run to worry about hydration, it's too late.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning.

And I try to hit as many sprinklers as possible :)

Hahaha! Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this.

I run late at night, between 7-8 pm. I also try to run a little slower and at the same pace. However...the heat wave a couple of weeks ago was CRAZY! I had to stop and walk quite a bit.
  • DeidreWestover
    Options
    I wait unti 7pm, or get up at 5am if I can. I drink plenty of fluids, including home made sports drink. I wear tank tops and shorts.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I get up at about 5:30, wait until I'm officially awake and then go around 6:30 in my sports bra, shorts and shoes.

I know a lot of runners say wear a moisture wicking shirt when running but I just can't.. that extra layer kills me!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Anyone else actually run in the heat? Instead of trying to avoid it??
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Joined the gym. I hate running on a treadmill though so I have cut back my miles considerably. I have been focusing on a lot of cross training.

Edited to add that I do still run in the heat. I just try to do it earlier in the day.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Evening runs and treadmill runs. :heart:

I LOVE running, but I don't want to have heat stroke when I'm getting it done. :bigsmile:

I also have started doing a Brazilian Butt Lift Treadmill workout...25 minutes of hill intervals. Kicks my *kitten*!!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I started walking every day at lunchtime in January, and we haven't stopped yet, so we are pretty acclimated to the heat. However, I won't run in the heat of the day. We still take our afternoon walk, and then on run days, we wait until the sun starts setting. I can handle the heat--and even the humidity to some degree, but I cannot handle the sun beating down on me when it's 90+ degrees.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Anyone else actually run in the heat? Instead of trying to avoid it??

I have. And hated every minute of it. It made me want to not run. Totally counterproductive.

However, I know of more than a handful of people who really thrive in the heat and run in it all summer.
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Try being in UK no heat but LOTS of rain, beating all time records. I could swim instead of run. It is supposed to get better next week but I will wait and see..
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    morning runs are what works for me...I supervise our neighborhood playground from 8:30-2:30 every day in the summer and my energy is just gone by the end of the day....so i HAVE to get up in the morning and do it or it wont get done.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Drink a powerade zero and hope for the best. I prefer to go around 7pm, which here in Missouri is still 102 tonight, with the humidity at "I'm sweating indoors..."
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    By living in London.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    so jealous. i am in the midlands in england, we haven't had a dry day since last september...but today it was stiflingly humid..and humidity is so not good for running :-(
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I can't stand getting up early, let alone working out right when I wake up. I really prefer night jogging myself. I get to look at the stars, it's cooler out, and no one can see how horrible I look except my neon tank top haha!

Neon tank top for the win!!