Expressions you hate..

Options

Replies

• jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My roommate in college, her favorite expression was "*kitten* me hard with chain saw!" That's a little much. Oh and another one I can't stand is "rode hard, put away wet." Ick. What does that even mean???

Your college roomie musta liked it rough is all I can say!

The rode hard and put up wet saying has origins in the old days when people used horses to get around, and if you didn't cool your horse off, unsaddle him, and dry the moisture off the skin, it could cause them to smell or look bad.
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Use of the word "yeah" at the beginning of a sentence in order to say "no". "yeah, no that's not gonna happen".
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    It's not fair! Well guess what? Nothing is F@cking fair! It's called life, no one gets the same piece of the pie, no matter how you cut it. I told my kids the word fair has no meaning at all.

Even some stranger who decided to interviene one day at the beach cuz my son was playing and the other kids didn't like it, thus proceeded to tell me how it wasn't "fair" that he was destroying things they worked very hard on in the sand....Hello lady? It's SAND! He wasn't hurting anyone and waited till they moved onto the next sand castle before demolishing it. All I can say is life isn't "fair" those kids better learn early that no matter how hard they work some A-hole will always be there to stomp your stupid sand castle.

What wasn't "fair" is not allowing my 2 yr old developmentally challeged son to play the way he wants at a public beach but you didn't hear me whining how "it's not fair."

I go off when I hear ppl say it!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I hate "Just sayin'..." or ending a somewhat contraversial statement with "IJS." It seems like they think adding IJS will absolve them of any responsibility if what they've said offends somebody.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    when im pumping gas and some assbag says "workin hard or hardly workin" and im like, sweating. booooooooo

ASSBAG! There's my new word!

Hey how about douche bag. Hate that one.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    "actually..." (said in a snotty way) when they're correcting you, like what they're about to say is superior to what you've just said...
    "just saying..." (loathe that one)
    "just so you know... " (not a favorite either)
    Never ever listen to me talk...ever. Or my son, who has picked up every one of these habits.

Same here... I say "I'm just saying" a lot because my mom would always accuse me of complaining... when "I was just saying" :laugh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    It's not fair! Well guess what? Nothing is F@cking fair! It's called life, no one gets the same piece of the pie, no matter how you cut it. I told my kids the word fair has no meaning at all.

Even some stranger who decided to interviene one day at the beach cuz my son was playing and the other kids didn't like it, thus proceeded to tell me how it wasn't "fair" that he was destroying things they worked very hard on in the sand....Hello lady? It's SAND! He wasn't hurting anyone and waited till they moved onto the next sand castle before demolishing it. All I can say is life isn't "fair" those kids better learn early that no matter how hard they work some A-hole will always be there to stomp your stupid sand castle.

What wasn't "fair" is not allowing my 2 yr old developmentally challeged son to play the way he wants at a public beach but you didn't hear me whining how "it's not fair."

To be fair, I'd be kinda pissed off if someone's kid destroyed mine/my child's sandcastle.
  • case87
    case87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's been said yet, because I haven't been able to read through all of them, but here are the ones that bugs me:

"Unthaw"- Most people use it as a replacment for "thaw", when it means quite the opposite
    "Irregardless" - This is almost never used correctly
    "Pacifically" - As in, "I pacifically told you to do that!" The Pacific is an ocean. :)
    "There ya be!" - I worked in a party store and a lady said this every time she handed out the bag she said this.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    "Irregardless" - This is almost never used correctly

How would someone use that correctly? Even if it was a word, it would mean the same thing as regardless.
  • PuppetHead
    Options
    pretty much any corporate jargon makes me want to punch someone in the throat. "push the envelope" "hit it out of the park" "take a stab at it" "dog and pony"

Also, i'm a graphic designer and if someone asks me to "just jazz it up" one more time, i'm going to jazz my foot up their *kitten*.

Oh yes. To keep yourself from gouging your eye out with a pen during management presentations, you can play Buzzword Bingo with your co-workers. Some suggestions for the bingo board:
    "...going forward"
    "within the organization"
    "outside the box"
    "from a (marketing/revenue/cost) perspective..."
    "...to drive (sales/revenue/etc.)"
    "...impact..." (as a verb)
    "...leverage..." (as a verb)
    "right-size" (euphemism for company death spiral)
    "human capital"
    "core competency"
    "align"
    "the culture (of the "organization")"

It's fun. You may get lucky and bingo in one sentence, "Now that we have right-sized the organization, going forward we will leverage our remaining human capital by aligning with each group's core competencies to drive sales and impact revenue. Going forward."
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    "Unanswered points" in sports, especially football, when the other team hasn't had the opportunity to score yet. You can't say "unanswered" until the other team had a chance and failed.
  • karenharper88
    Options
    YOLO, or You Only Live Once.. meant as an expression of youth, hope, freedom, and all that deep stuff, but people just use it as an excuse to do dangerous things. It's also the single most used (+abused) phrase among young people today.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    "drill down" This is used at my work so often and I can't stand it! We're always having to "drill down" something! GRRRR!!!!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    see ya when i see ya
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    Okay it is not an expression but a word. I hate the word "nice". It lacks depth, description, meaning, potency - you name it. It is a weak little word and in my mind it is the veritable 98 lb weakling on the word beach. I despise it. I effin' hate that word. And all variations thereof. I particularly hate it when combined with "very." "Very Nice" should be deemed illegal and anyone who says it should be flogged. Just my opinion.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options

To be fair, I'd be kinda pissed off if someone's kid destroyed mine/my child's sandcastle.

Someone destroyed my sand castle I built when I was like 5 or so. I cried and told my parents, they just told me to rebuilt and stop whining. lol
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    nom nom nom

I dont know where they get this crap from but its stupid.

Did you.... Did you just hate on the Cookie Monster!!??

When people say "Literally" when they mean "figuratively."

"I'm literally starving to death."

But.. you would never say "I'm figuratively starving to death."

I agree. They are obviously being hyperbolous.
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Cannot stand when some one ends every sentence with "like seriously" or "like really" drives me up the walls.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    "Hey shawty." Or any phrase with the made up word "shawty" in it.

"What's up dawg." Or any phrase with the made up word "dawg" in it.

Pretty much any phrase that was made up by rappers I absolutely hate because nothing annoys me more than rap.

Do you live in 1997?
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    "Everything happens for a reason." I feel like it's just a way to help someone deal with a situation and for some reason drives me bananas.

Hahaha....my husband posted this on facebook today "Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes that reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions"
    I might have to steal that:)