Military Question.....

Options
1235»

Replies

• HerHusbandTheirDaddy
    Options
    I just wanted to share what I wrote on my FB page this morning. Inspired by your situation....

MY status update: After giving my opinion to a person who was trying to choose between the Army and Navy and reading other people’s opinions, I am very thankful that my dad, xxxxx xxxxx, talked me out of joining the Marines. That is not a knock against another service, but the AF has sure provided a great life to me and my family so far. Maybe I would be just as happy in another service, but we will never know.

Comments:

FRIEND 1: My story is so similar! I was considering the Marines too and a security guard for the store I worked in at the mall was a Navy reservist and talked me out of it. He said the AF was the way to go! I am so thankful for him and his advice...I just wish I could remember his name to thank him. He doesn't even know how he changed my life. :)

FRIEND 2: If you are a family person-the Air Force is definately the way to go! They are much more family oriented & include them in everything. My hubby was in the Marines for 4 years (before we were married) and he always says he couldn't have stayed in & had a family. He's in the AF reserves now & so far, it hasn't been too bad!
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    As prior Navy, I can be VERY biased toward the Navy; however, research your options, list the pro's and con's, etc. and decide which branch is best for you and your professional goals.

Your mental attitude regarding the branch you choose will also have a great bearing on how your experiences are in that branch. All too often we hear enlisted personnel complaining about what they are doing, etc. I have also heard from those who love the branch they served in. You have heard both in this thread.

You will also hear this one is better than that one, blah, blah, blah. Personally, it really pisses me off when this occurs, especially if the person doing the blah, blah, blahing hasn't even experienced the other branches or is all speculation.

I was raised as an Air Force brat and can testify to the top notch medical care I received at the AF hospitals. I was also stationed on an aircraft carrier and have seen and experienced the facilities on board. It was a fully equipped mini hospital and all the corpsmen were exceptional. I also had friends that were Marines that spoke very highly of the Navy Medical Corps. I have no direct knowledge of the Army's facilities so I can't advise.

Yes I did my fare share of keeping the ship clean and tidy. Everyone has to. Same with other branches I am sure.

Bottom line, its up to you. I had great experiences with both the Navy and Air Force. I am sure I would have received good treatment in the Army or Marines if I went that way, too.

My personal bias leads HEAVILY toward the Navy.

If, after all your research, both the Navy and Army are in a tie, use the academy's football programs to decide for you. Navy has kicked Army's butts for the past 7 or so years. LOL. Yeah I know, AF got last years CIC Trophy, but Navy will get it back this year.

Good Luck in your endeavors and serve with honor and pride in what ever branch you decide to enlist. Thank you in advance for your selfless act to serve our great nation.

Anchors Away my friend

PS - to all who served, THANK YOU for your dedicated service to our nation. Your courage and sacrifice is appreciated.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    As far as one branch of the service treating you better than the other one, there is really no such thing. It is all your perspective and what you make of it. Is Air Force housing nicer than Marine Corps housing? I don't know, for I have never lived in Air Force housing. However, the Marine Corps has provided me with a 4 bedroom house ( I am married with two boys) in a neighborhood that I chose to live in in a house that I chose to live in. If anything goes wrong with this house while I am living here, guess who fixes it. Not me. A simple phone call solves everything in a timely matter.

Was boot camp tough? Of course, but the immense pride and lessons I have learned by becoming a Marine were certainly worth it. Is the Marine Corps harder than the other services? Yes, but we are held to a higher standard than the other services as well. This does not mean that we are treated and worse than the other services.

My wife is a former soldier, and according to her, it seems as though we were treated the same way. No better, no worse. I think that unless you have served in more than one service, you can't really take the word of a family member or a friend and compare their experiences to make a comparison of how we are treated.

Some people just are not cut out for military service and they hate it and therefore talk crap about the service they were in the whole time they are in and after they get out. Personally, I have enjoyed serving in the Maine Corps and I know my wife enjoyed her time in the Army. So unless you have been in both boots, do not comment on whether one service gives you better treatment than the other.
  • uallonsy
    uallonsy Posts: 6
    Options
    You need to decide what exactly your goal is. Do you plan on making a career out of your service? Or are you looking for experience?

ALL SERVICES HAVE THEIR GRIPES! All service members have their complaints about the service, however, the reality is that particular unit or supervisor. The best thing you can do is visit/call and talk to junior, mid-level, and senior members in both the enlisted and officer corp. You will get a broad range of opinions. Remember, recruiters are there to "recruit". They may have never been around the career field you want.

There are five services, and I have not seen any posts referencing the Coast Guard - "The Forgotten Fifth".

Here are some generalizations of the services:

Coast Guard - Decent advancement rate, no PT or PT test, only approximately 50k people, overseas is Alaska, Puerto Rico, Guam, Hawaii, Bahamas (For the most part), education extremely supported, nexxus to civilian jobs, no bases so live on the economy in a place you choose

Air Force - Traditionally allocated the most money, quality of living best for DOD, not as strict as other services, VERY slow advancement and even slower in some career fields, world wide locations

Army - Hit or miss with career field selection, some jobs are great while others are not, split between combat and non-combat MOS's (everyone is a soldier however you will not find the dental tech on the front line with the grunts), training is narrow to your scope of work, world wide transfer, PT standards second to Marines.

Navy - Hit or miss with career field, deployments, deployments, deployments! (usually months long and up to 12 months, ships usually have 50 man berthing which means you are sharing a large room with at least 49 other people, get to travel the world and the shortest time

Marines - Everyone is a Marine first! Strictest of the militaries, training to excellence is a guaranteed, deployments with both Marines and Navy, strictest PT and PT Test (love the green shorts),

Also, all services are going through a draw down right so it will be tougher to get into any of them. Explore both enlisted and officer availability. If short term (no career), I would look at enlisted because they do the hands on work (mostly), if career minded consider officer because they are the managers and get paid more which translates to higher retirement pay.

Remember, some jobs are limited due their scope. So, their may be a job that has training in something you would want to pursue but the military won't pay for it or allow you because it is considered not relevant to your career field.

I have been in 3 services with 4 different career fields and currently work with ALL services.

well said!
    I am former enlisted Marine communications, Air Force electronics tech, Army medic and currently an Army Quartermaster officer.
    Do your homework and TALK to people in the field you decide, only someone in the position can say what the duty day is and give pros/cons.
  • uallonsy
    uallonsy Posts: 6
    Options
    And BTW ...Semper Fi.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm retired Navy. My Father, and Brother retired Army, Two Uncles Retired Air Force, Air force. If not Go Navy. I believe you make what you want out of it. I believe all braches of the service can be just as rewarding or punishing depending on you.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I was a Military Policeman in the Army and worked with plenty of fine medical personnel from both branches. Drive on! Good luck!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    What do you want to do? Navy has a slightly better quality of life than Army, but you'll generally be more tactical with the Army. And keep sea duty in mind--make sure you don't mind being on a ship for 6 months.
    I've worked with both, but I'm Air Force -- so of course I say wait to lose the extra 10 lbs and go blue. :)

*ETA* for context, I've been stationed with, lived and worked alongside USAF, USA, USN & USMC.
  • laineyq
    laineyq Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am an Army Combat Medic. You will not like being an OR tech. The pamphlets and the recruiters make it look so good. You will end up cleaning for the majority of your work day. Check out the OCS and PA programs(IPAP). You should set your sights on being a Medical Officer. If someone would have directed me, that is where I would be now, but I will still get there.

I'm an army Medical Service Corps officer. I agree. Move towards a science degree and if you really like healthcare focus on things like LAB, PHYSICAL THERAPY, PHARMACY, NURSING, RADIOLOGY TECH...So many options to OR Techs but to each his own.

Realize if you go enlisted your life is busy and you work for EVERYONE. If you hold out, get a commission, you are far more privelaged!

Great luck and GO ARMY!
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    GOOOOO AIR FORCE!

this! In the process of enlisting. At 26, better late than never right?
    And you'll be all the better Airman for a few extra years of experience.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    11 years former army and I'd suggest going officer no matter which branch you choose, if not you will spend years doing scrub work like bathrooms and waxing floors and whatnot instead of doing what you enlisted for.
    Not in the Air Force...
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    If short term (no career), I would look at enlisted because they do the hands on work (mostly), if career minded consider officer because they are the managers and get paid more which translates to higher retirement pay
    Be careful with this--too many people think the distinction between officer and enlisted comes down to pay. Having done both, i'll say that pay should be the last of your considerations. The military is a CALLING, not a job. Do what you love, what fulfills you. NCOs and officers have different jobs--it's not like you just get more money for doing the same thing. Even in the medical side, there's more administrative work, and less of the "fun" stuff. There are great opportunities to be had in both.
    *edit* Although the Army has warrant officers, which are a nice compromise between the two worlds...
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As a retired Marine, I say Navy. It was a Navy Corpsman who gave me sound advice when I was in Okinawa and my daughter was born with a paralyzed arm. All the doctors said she would never use it. Doc (HM2) Madrid said do these range of motion exercises and she will be fine. He was right. She was all state tennis and out climb my Marines up the rope on the O-course. So, GO NAVY!!!!
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    Is it worth joining the military just to travel? Serious question.
    Sure, if you think getting shot at and possibly blown up is worth it just to travel. Your call.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    The funny thing about the military, too, is you can sign up for any job and end up doing something entirely different and unexpected. So just be open to that. You're pretty much joining the military because you want to be in the military, not because you're hankering for a specific job. If you keep that mentality you'll (almost) never be disappointed.
    VERY good advice.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My uncle is a retired Navy SEAL. The vast majority of the rest of the family has always been USAF. I was the idiot who tried a different path and went Army (91B). Totally regret not going USAF.

That being the case, I vote Navy...or USAF.

^Agree! Husband was MDSU diver then got out and went Air Force Blue.
  • mccmarc
    mccmarc Posts: 10
    Options
    Hiya

I am in the uk Territtorial army i would if i could do it again go for the air force but i do enjoy the banter :happy:
  • nikkibello
    nikkibello Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Btw the 2 I'd def go with Navy I'm an air force wife and from what I've seen the army doesn't get treated nearly as good...
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Am a 3 generation military brat from Army and Air Force. Hubby was in Army. Definitely go Air Force is possible. I believe they treat families the best. I would choose Navy 2nd! Take a former military person with you to the recruiters office before signing any papers! They LOVE to lie:)
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    I'm an Army Brat (dad and stepdad are both Army), but I worked for the Navy (Naval Audit Service) ... I'd recommend NAVY all the way!!! All the branches are great, but Navy is best for medical, IMHO. Good luck and let us know what you decide!