One wrong choice & I'm set back a week....

Options

Replies

• jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may be really sensitive to sodium. I know that if I go over on the sodium I retain pounds of water for weeks, it seems.
  • whitesox56
    whitesox56 Posts: 85
    Options
    It sounds like you were retaining water. Have a banana. Potassium will offset it. I've gained 6 lbs in a day before, it happens.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. A portion of baked beans did not cause you to gain 3 pounds of fat overnight. If you can't handle normal fluctuations in your weight, such as water retention, please step away from the scale.

I need to post just so I can refer back to this posters response.............because like the person who started the thread, I also blame it on things that are not possible . lol
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OMG... This is so why you DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY FREAKING DAY!!!

I am anywhere between 3-5 pounds up from Friday to Monday morning because of my enjoyment of my weekends. Does that mean I actually GAINED 3-5 pounds of fat??? NO! Sodium and water retension go hand in hand.

The sad part is you are part of the majority in this way of thinking (MFP notwithstanding). Everyone's weight fluctuates on a daily and even a weekly basis! A more accurate picture is every week to 2 weeks or even monthly to see what the true scope of your progress has been.

SMFH :noway:

I understand what you are saying, but what better way to learn how volatile our weight is from day to day than by weighing daily. It isn't the daily weighing that is the problem, it's the understanding of what those daily numbers mean. Because that same volatility is potentially in that weekly weighing too, just not as obvious.

It isn't the volatility in the numbers that is the problem, it's the lack of understanding of the significance of those numbers that is.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were retaining water. Have a banana. Potassium will offset it. I've gained 6 lbs in a day before, it happens.

Really? Never knew that about bananas..........potassium.........and thought I was the only one to gain like that.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Really? Never knew that about bananas..........potassium.........and thought I was the only one to gain like that.

Good to know! So potassium can offset sodium (at least to some extent)?
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I AM WITH YOU!!!!!!! I ate 1300 calories yesterday, which is BELOW my daily calorie goal, which is set on a 2 lb loss WEEKLY. For dinner last night I made buffalo chicken wraps. I did my 40 minute cardio workout. I woke up this morning a pound HEAVIER than yesterday morning. I was SO mad!!!! How the heck am I GAINING weight at only a 1300 calorie intake?? I was swearing up a storm. My husband just told me to chalk it up to all of the sodium that is in buffalo sauce and said I was probably just retaining water. I guess this is why they tell you not to weigh yourself daily, but I can't help it!! LOL Oh well.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Number one lesson on your weight loss journey. NEVER, weigh yourself on a daily basis--you will only set yourself up for failure. And as has been mentioned by several others--this is a journey not a race. Take one day at a time and don't sweat the small stuff.

actually, I weigh myself daily. it helps me hugely. I get to understand from regular weighing how patterns of eating, weight lifting, etc etc contribute to weight fluctuation. As a consequence, when I have a 'bad weigh day' it really doesn't bother me that much.

This is genuinely one of those areas where different things work for different people.

AGREED!!!!!! I weigh myself daily and find is EXTREMELY helpful. I've gotten to know my body and my weight loss/gain patterns. It really helps me gauge my diet from a day to day basis.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options

I am anywhere between 3-5 pounds up from Friday to Monday morning because of my enjoyment of my weekends. Does that mean I actually GAINED 3-5 pounds of fat??? NO! Sodium and water retension go hand in hand.

The sad part is you are part of the majority in this way of thinking (MFP notwithstanding). Everyone's weight fluctuates on a daily and even a weekly basis! A more accurate picture is every week to 2 weeks or even monthly to see what the true scope of your progress has been.

I understand what you are saying, but what better way to learn how volatile our weight is from day to day than by weighing daily. It isn't the daily weighing that is the problem, it's the understanding of what those daily numbers mean. Because that same volatility is potentially in that weekly weighing too, just not as obvious.

It isn't the volatility in the numbers that is the problem, it's the lack of understanding of the significance of those numbers that is.

I agree with you... 100%! I weigh myself daily and also understand the fluctuations. However, someone as obsessive over it as the OP (to the point of going into panic mode) definitely needs to lay off of it for awhile until she can understand the process. That kind of obsession... especially for an emotional eater... will destroy any progress that was made and be highly detrimental to her success.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    sodium (water weight) doesn't come off from exercising and staying under your calorie goal.... it comes off from upping your water intake. and if you know it's water weight, then i wouldn't call it a setback because it's not actual weight gained.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    This thread is just silly now.... I LIKE IT! :bigsmile:
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's not about your weight, it's about how you look, too many variables in weight to satisfy the mind of a... weight watcher, you'll just drive yourself crazy.

=]
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Number one lesson on your weight loss journey. NEVER, weigh yourself on a daily basis--you will only set yourself up for failure. And as has been mentioned by several others--this is a journey not a race. Take one day at a time and don't sweat the small stuff.

You are my new Best Friend!!!:flowerforyou:
    So many people ask me:
    Them: "What are you doing to lose weight?"
    Me: "Watch what I eat and exercise"
    Them: "Well, how long did it take you?"
    Me: "A few months"
    Them: "Try this or that, you will lose it faster..."

Ummm... no, not a race!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I agree with you... 100%! I weigh myself daily and also understand the fluctuations. However, someone as obsessive over it as the OP (to the point of going into panic mode) definitely needs to lay off of it for awhile until she can understand the process. That kind of obsession... especially for an emotional eater... will destroy any progress that was made and be highly detrimental to her success.

And on that we can agree.

(Did everyone see what just happened here? Two people with a possible misunderstanding between them just talked it out in an exchange of words on the MFP forum and found common ground and understanding. Weird.)
  • meryloneil
    meryloneil Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If your weight gain is from the beans, it is water retention from the sodium. Drink lots of water, it will flush out.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Yes. The snarky comments are so helpful to the OP, I am sure.

Would you prefer;

"Awww I'm soooooo sorry! It really sucks that you HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOUR BODY WORKS."
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    The echo chamber is not much into sharing truth that is sometimes hard to accept.
  • dapeloquin
    dapeloquin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm never going to post anything on here again. Most of you are mean & unsupportive. I appreciate the ones who were supportive and understood that I was frusturated with the water weight gain.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    you think a bit of temporary fluid retention has ruined your diet...

you daft moo! :-p
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I'm never going to post anything on here again. Most of you are mean & unsupportive. I appreciate the ones who were supportive and understood that I was frusturated with the water weight gain.
    that's a bit of an extreme reaction to having a little egg on your face!
    if i reacted like this every time i got laughed at, i'd have not spoken or typed a word in the last 35 years.
    sometimes you gotta be able to laugh at your own silliness. laugh it off and move on.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm never going to post anything on here again. Most of you are mean & unsupportive

I think you mean correct and informative!