Running or Elliptical

Options

Replies

• reallyally1
    Options
    I do both! I'll run for about 25-30 mins at 5.6 mph and then I'll do 15-20 mins on the elliptical at 60-65 rpm.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Running because you don't have the machine doing the work, you have to put more of an effort into running:wink:
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Running is going to beat just about any cardio exercise. I do both, but usually use the elliptical as a warmup for a run.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Running does but I'm horrible at pacing myself when running. I'm much better at it on the elliptical.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Running
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started out on the elliptical, lost about 10-15. I finally didn't feel like I was gettinga good burn and so I started running.. Love it! I can feel a huge difference in the burn now.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've done both and running has always made me feel like I've done 3x the work. Besides, I can run 20 min and burn the same amount of calories a machine tells me I burn in an hour. I'll take running.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I used the elliptical for the longest time....then I took up running.

Now I barely use it....except for my 10-20 min warm up before lifting.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm on the elliptical side of this argument, mostly on account of having a blown out knee that never healed 100% which throws off my running gait and puts me in pain. i'd like to try running outside on something other than concrete but i live near downtown of a city with over 1 million people in it, so it's pretty much a concrete jungle. I have to push myself harder on the elliptical but it's nice to have a place for water bottle/mp3 player etc.
  • Fairieluv77
    Options
    I love running outside and feel that it gives me a better workout. I only use my elliptical when it's too humid or too cold outside.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    I burn more calories running vs. elliptical...and like someone else said...much more zen like running lol
  • Kailuen
    Kailuen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    elliptical hands down. and it's low impact on your body. I have had so many injuries with running, it's not worth it.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like doing the eliptical because it is easy on your knees. I don't like running. I do play a lot of tennis and I have to sprint a lot. I do like fast bursts on the eliptical and increase the resistance. Use your arms when you run on the eliptical. I like it cause I can increase incline and resistance. I wear a heart monitor and keep my heart rate up.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I do both to keep it interesting.

But, according to my HRM, I burn more calories running then I do on the elliptical. Its not a huge difference, but enough that I notice a difference in total calorie burn. I feel, that different cardio, works different muscles. So I like to change it up throughout the week.
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My knees are iffy from past sports - tend to have some pain or swelling - so the elliptical is my preference. Lots of settings for achieving the best workout, and I like that you can go backwards to work the back of your thighs (one of the worst spots for me). However, I used to enjoy a little trail running every once in awhile - more exciting than a flat/boring surface. I think if injury/pain isn't an issue, running tends to be easier in the sense that all you have to do is open your front door and you're good to go. Choosing the elliptical means you have to make sure you get to the gym. Say you only have an hour to work out, getting to/from the gym could easily eat up a portion of that time, whereas with running, you'll get to use most of that time to do your workout after stretching for a couple of minutes.
  • eeeCharlee
    eeeCharlee Posts: 13
    Options
    Definitely running. I normally run outside, but lately I have been using the elliptical a lot more because it is so HOT outside and I don't like using the treadmill. :)
  • sm0125
    sm0125 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    for me. eliptical helps to keep my body in line (allowing me to do more) and doesn't beat me up as much. so im not as tired from the gravity and pounding etc. congrats on the loss so far!
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Running outside. You'll never find me in a gym when I have the great outdoors to play with. Whether it's 90 degrees, or 20-- I work with it. :) Also, I find it harder because I seek out hills and new trails with unexpected obstacles. The thing with running is... you can go a few miles out and feel great, but you also gotta turn around and do it again till you get back to home base. That's killer. :P
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion would be to try both & see which one you prefer. For me, i can run short distances but will never be a long distance runner due to old knee/ankle injuries that didn't heal properly. Also, i'll mention that having the right shoes for your foot type can make a world of difference. i'm not usually brand loyal but i've found that Nike shoes work best for me after trying several other brands.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    hate the elliptical-love running