Am I Exercising Enough?

Options

Replies

• Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If your goal is simply to lose weight, and you are not now - with your routine as it is, then your net calories are too high or too low, or your actual calories are not the same as what you are recording in your diary.

Personally, I do 8 hours of cardio per week. My goals are different than yours, possibly. I am looking to maximize my fitness to enter mountain bike races, so I ride my bikes 120-150 miles per week. I lift weights in the off-season. I do at least 2 days per week of 2 hour cycling rides.

I'm eating a Mediterranean diet.

Everyone is different, according to their lifestyle and goals. You might think about adjusting your routine seasonally, and evaluate whether your goal is health, external beauty, or fitness (or a combination of those things). Your goal will influence your routine.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'd look at your nutrition plan, that workout plan is somewhere along the lines of where mine is at its highest peaks (depends on the time of year, my workout plan changes depending on which sports I'm training more for, rather than others).

You can workout all you want but if your hydration/nutrition plan isn't where it should be, you'll have problems seeing results. Don't just watch your carbs but the protein and fat content as well
  • jlaurena
    jlaurena Posts: 60
    Options
    OP, several people have asked or commented on the number of calories you are eating. Would you mind posting this? If you're doing that much activity, you really need to make sure you're getting enough to eat.

• jlaurena
    Options
    First of all, you are not overweight. Anybody who can pose in a bikini is not overweight in my book. :smile:

Second of all, I think you are working out a lot, just hope that you are eating plenty of good foods to keep your body strong to withstand such a rigorous workout routine.

Other than that, keep it up! You will be able to tell in the long run if eating too little and working out too much (Feeling tired and not loosing weight). Right now seems like you have tons of energy! :happy:

My pic is from Lake Powell 2 years ago, it's my motivation for losing weight. I WISH i could be that comfortable in one again...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    OP, several people have asked or commented on the number of calories you are eating. Would you mind posting this? If you're doing that much activity, you really need to make sure you're getting enough to eat.

But you're not netting 1400. You're usually netting only 600-800 calories. Unless you have it set up to account for exercise (which I doubt because you're burning such a high amount of calories on a daily basis) then you need to eat back your exercise calories. Refuel your body!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Can I brag that I only weight train 3 days a week and do no cardio?

;)

To OP: You make me feel lazy!
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I would reduce the cardio a bit.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just think you're bragging.

That, or looking for that good pat on the back and "atta girl"
  • thefullmontysmom
    thefullmontysmom Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree...

Also, weight loss is supposed to be a life style change. One that can be kept up with...Are you honestly going to continue to live in the gym for 3+ hours a day for the rest of your life? Not likely, so even if you do reach your goal weight, you'll gain it back and then some as soon as you relax..

Also I hope you aren't over doing it and putting your body at risk!
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would devote less time to exercise and switch it up more, honestly. You need a mix of intervals and steady state cardio. And Pump is great, but you're repeating a lot of the same moves. Try some other equipment, maybe some body weight exercises as well. Muscle confusion really works well.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    No, you're exercising too much...

Kidding, of course. Seems like you're on the right track! Keep up the good work.
  • jlaurena
    Options

But you're not netting 1400. You're usually netting only 600-800 calories. Unless you have it set up to account for exercise (which I doubt because you're burning such a high amount of calories on a daily basis) then you need to eat back your exercise calories. Refuel your body!

ahh that is sooo much eating!!! i feel crazy doing that. thank you so much though. this is helping. just need to figure out what to eat now! i'm already eating until i'm full
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Am I exercising enough?
    Am I challenging myself enough?
    Am I mixing it up enough?

Here is my current Exercise Routine:

Monday (2 Hours)
    Spin - 60 mins @ 5:30
    BodyPump - 60 mins @ 6:30

Tuesday (3 Hours)
    Yoga - 60 mins @ 11:30
    Body Pump - 60 mins @ 5:30
    Cardio - 60 mins @ 6:30

Wednesday (2 Hours)
    Weights - 60 mins @ 5:30
    Spin - 60 mins @ 6:30

Thursday (2 Hours)
    BodyPump - 60 mins @ 5:30
    Power Yoga - 60 mins @ 6:30

Friday, Saturday, Sunday (+/- Hours)
    Whatever I can get in! @ anytime!

Exercise for what? Weight loss? Exercise is irrelevant.
    For optimal health - VERY relevant.

Depends on intensity and duration. She's obviously doing more harm than good... Anytime someone loses weight... health indicators improve. (assuming they're going to a healthy weight).

The topic is about "exercising enough?" Exercising enough for what? Weight loss. She doens't need to exercise at all to lose weight, that's my point. The amount she's doing is a waste of time and detrimental.
    I exercise 2 to 3 hours daily 6 days per week.
    It's GREAT!
    Here is my disconnect - OP, I hope you hear this.
    Exercise is wonderful! Keep up the good work, but fuel your body.
    That is the difference between success and failure.
    I have provided the info. Don't self-sabotage.
    Good Luck!
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Focus on the quality of the calories, not the quantity. You can still eat the same amount of food but increase your intake by subbing in higher calorie options like almonds, peanut butter, avocado, etc.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Obvious brag is obvious.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    The OP is just asking for advice if she's overdoing it. How can that be a bragging?

Rude people shouldn't bother to answer at all.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The OP is just asking for advice if she's overdoing it. How can that be a bragging?

Rude people shouldn't bother to answer at all.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and theirs is just as valid as yours. This is a forum after all.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Op, sent you a PM if you'd like some help in the fueling dept
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your opinions and comments! I know people my age who run a lot more and bike a lot more, so honestly I wasn't sure if classes are enough.

I'm not trying to brag at all. I'm concerned i'm not getting enough variety, as I am not losing weight, i'm eating clean and watch my carbs. I'm actually very frustrated!

It seems that you are doing too much cardio! Read this article...4 Indicators you are doing too much cardio & number 2 is, You aren't seeing results!!

Take a look: http://sheerbalance.com/brettsblog/4-indicators-you-do-too-much-cardio/

Thank you for posting this article. It was entirely helpful.
    +2
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Dump most of the cardio and add some heavy strength training IMO. Just sayin'