cereals......

Options

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereals because to me, they are empty calories...... I do make baked oatmeal using protein powder and old fashioned oats.... that's about as far as my cereal eating goes. :)
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've always incorporated cereal into my diet, I couldn't last the morning without it and I stay clear of toast as I try not to eat much bread. I'm currently having sultana bran each day and that does me for a few hours x
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    There are almost no cereals without loads of sugar. I have spent hours in the cereal aisle looking at nutritional labels. The only really good one is the original fiber one. It actually uses a sugar substitute and is mostly fiber and bran starch.

All those ads targeted at children claiming to be a "healthy" cereal.... so untrue.

I'm not totally against sugar but get enough of it from all the cottage cheese, milk and yogurt I eat.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereals because to me, they are empty calories...... I do make baked oatmeal using protein powder and old fashioned oats.... that's about as far as my cereal eating goes. :)

Curious as to why you call it empty calories? Original Special K (not even the best example) is far from nutrionally void:

Calories 120 Sodium 220 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 20 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 23 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 4 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 6 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 15% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 35% Iron 45%

From your diary:
    Weight Watchers - Divine Triple Chocolate Ice Cream Bar, 1 bar 110 18 5 3 3 30

Those are some empty calories by comparison :flowerforyou:
  • fatpanda96
    fatpanda96 Posts: 77
    Options
    Honey Bunches of Oats is my weakness
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    yup, I love kashi cereals, also they help me get enough protein
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love love love chocolate cheerios and fruity cheerios.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I love Fruit Loops and Cocoa Pebbles....you know, the crap that's loaded with sugar? But who cares? I work my *kitten* off, why can't I splurge when I want to?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am VERY selective about which cereals I eat.
    Most have been demineralized and loaded up with sugar.
    Most are very unhealthy - no better than eating a candy bar.
  • 19nicole89
    19nicole89 Posts: 10
    Options
    I heard that same thing. That is a problem for me because I LOVE cereal! I'm a big breakfast food person. I could eat things like cereal all day long at anytime of day!
  • 19nicole89
    19nicole89 Posts: 10
    Options
    cheerios brand are coming out with some awesome kinds! the choc, multi grain, frosted, and the pb are all great flavors! the caramel is okay. not as good as the others.
  • magerum
    Options
    I am VERY selective about which cereals I eat.
    Most have been demineralized and loaded up with sugar.
    Most are very unhealthy - no better than eating a candy bar.

Absolutely! Old schood cherrios and Fiber One are my go-to these days. Are they they absolute best? Nah, but better than most. Old School Oatmeal is the real winner, IMO.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Polish off 4 or 5 boxes a week and have lost 310 lbs. doing it so Yep Love me some cereal..... :drinker:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal as an end of the day snack when it fits with the rest of my day.
  • magerum
    Options
    Polish off 4 or 5 boxes a week and have lost 310 lbs. doing it so Yep Love me some cereal..... :drinker:

^This! Cereal is awesomeness in a box.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Fruit has sugar, did your trainer say not to have fruit, or anything you like? I eat a bowl of cereal like 5 days a week for breakfast and will never give it up, its better then my old breakfast of cold pizza and left over Chinese food =)
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    One cup of Special K, no Milk, for Breakfast
    One Cup Cheerios, No Milk for Lunch
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I eat cold cereal every now and then. I will admit though that mostly I stick to oatmeal. But it's not gonna kill your progess. Everything in moderation.
  • dwludden
    dwludden Posts: 1
    Options
    All that matters is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). Just be in a caloric deficit and it technically doesn't matter what you eat, in terms of over health. In accordance with health, I'd go for nutrient dense foods.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Before I reduced my carb intake, I would have Fiber One Bran Buds mixed with a little frosted flakes to make it tolerable. It was a great way to increase my fiber for the day.

ATM, I have reduced my carb intake, but as I gradually bring my carb intake up I will probably do so again.