cereals......

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am VERY selective about which cereals I eat.
    Most have been demineralized and loaded up with sugar.
    Most are very unhealthy - no better than eating a candy bar.

Absolutely! Old schood cherrios and Fiber One are my go-to these days. Are they they absolute best? Nah, but better than most. Old School Oatmeal is the real winner, IMO.
    There are some whole grained cereals new on the market I enjoy. I just won't eat the sugary ones any longer.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Fruit has sugar, did your trainer say not to have fruit, or anything you like? I eat a bowl of cereal like 5 days a week for breakfast and will never give it up, its better then my old breakfast of cold pizza and left over Chinese food =)
    Natural sugar in fruit comes with other nutritionally dense elements as opposed to processed, sugar-loaded, demineralized cereal.
    It's candy.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just went for a walk to have enough calories for a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch with skim milk! :bigsmile:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Not all cereal is bad. The key is to understand what you are looking at when choosing one.

My main (not only) criteria is that they are low in sugar, and high in fibre. Fibre is the main thing I look for in my cereal because it is often one element that is lacking in my diet .

When all is said and done, it is all about balance. If you can fit it into your day and meet your macros and you are getting enough nutrients - there is no harm in eating cereal or any other food.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal and cream of wheat, but as for cold cereals I used to eat them and even the healthy ones didn't keep me full long so I don't anymore
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like Organic Maple Buckwheat Flakes by Arrowhead Mills. Only 5g sugar per serving and 4g of protein. I've also been eating too much Chocolate Chex cereal. That stuff is like crack and won't be on the shopping list again for a while. :)
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Yup I still eat cereal. All about keeping track. I give up nothing, I just cut back and keep track. But instead of having hamburgers every day, I have fruits and veggies and go from there to figure the rest of my day.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I like plain cheerios. Occasionally we have muttigrain in the house but that has a little too much sugar for me to want to do that day in and day out. Plain cheerios seem plenty healthy in my mind, they're not sugary or frosted or crap.
  • sarahmcp3
    sarahmcp3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal a lot. it fills me up and it has lots of fiber. Sometimes I go on a cereal kick but I try to keep it to low sugar granola type cereals. Like special k. That cereal helps me meet my iron goal for the day since I'm not a huge meat eater.
  • IronMan98
    IronMan98 Posts: 3
    Options
    Who can eat just one serving (3/4 to 1 cup) of Wheaties etc. and be satisfied.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    i am obseessed with cereal i dont know why! i can easilyyyy eat 5 bowls i switched to almond milk though so its going to be a lil less in calories next time :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    eating oatmeal right now. don't take nutrition advice from trainers.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I do, not every day though. Right now I'm hooked on Fiber One 80, those honey squares are delish. I'm watching carbs (dm2) and I think it's got 10 fiber, most cereals are way too high in carbs for my liking.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I love my cereals....on occasions. =)
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I avoid cereals because the average bowl is ALOT more than what a serving should be. And nope...a cup of cereal doesn't satisfy me at all. When I first started logging I was horrifed to realize I was eating 3-4 cups of cereal! You really got to watch portion control with cereal. I love me some Golden Grahams..but I shall stay away from them!
  • samanthatricia
    samanthatricia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yep, almost never eat cereal because 1) it gets soggy so fast and I have to throw out the whole bowl or feel like I'm going to barf, and 2) I'm starving an hour later!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Crisps, Vanilla Almond, 58g + 2/3 cup milk, every morning :p 313 cals and it's filling until 10h30-11h30, for snack (usually nuts, or sunflower seeds).

The real deal I think is to establish a routine that works well for you, and stick to it. Then with more experience, you learn how to manipulate that routine to cater for things like unplanned team lunch at work, or a night out, either without busting, or by busting but still enjoying it since you know that tomorrow, your nice little routine will still be there, and you'll enjoy that too.

Cereals, oatmeal, no breakfast... doesn't really matter as long as it's your choice and you are happy to make it.
  • xoxosarinaxoxo
    xoxosarinaxoxo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i have kashi go len every day for breafkast
  • hkasel
    hkasel Posts: 69
    Options
    I don't really eat cereal, mainly because I don't care for most of them. The only exception is granola. I don't buy granola because I could eat it in very large portions!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Natural sugar in fruit comes with other nutritionally dense elements as opposed to processed, sugar-loaded, demineralized cereal.
    It's candy.

Cool!!! Loves me some Pixy Stix!
    Powdered sugar: the new blow?
    BY J. JUSTIN WILSON
    Posted: Mar. 8, 2012 | 2:03 a.m.

As a nation, we've long had a fixation with "good" and "bad" foods. Butter was bad, eggs were bad, acai was good, fat was bad, carbs were bad. Salt has been called a "silent killer." Now, according to public health activists, Pixy Stix are basically flavored cocaine.

What have they been smoking?

Writing in the British journal Nature, three researchers with the University of California, San Francisco now claim that sugar is "toxic" like alcohol or tobacco. Therefore, we need a strict government regime to impose sugar control -- including age restrictions on soda, "sugar-free" zones around schools and candy taxation.

The researchers caution that they're not accusing natural sugar found in fruit of being bad -- they're just claiming eating everything from apple cobbler to cotton candy is like smoking cigarettes.

Curiously, new research in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that Americans are eating 3.5 percent fewer calories today than they were in 2000 and have cut their sugar intake by six teaspoons per day. That's a voluntary change -- which blows apart the notion of sugar's "addictiveness."

Fundamentally, the sugar-is-booze argument reflects the further cheapening of dietary information.

The graveyard of food recommendations is littered with bogus claims that once seemed reasonable. Remember when eggs were cholesterol bombs? Now they're a nutrient-packed health food. Remember when butter was marginalized? People ate more margarine, which has trans fats.

We're always looking for that one "superfood" or one simple rule to build our diets around. There actually is one simple rule, but it's not about a specific food or ingredient. It's about balancing calories.

If the number of calories you consume from food and drink exceed the number of calories you burn off, you will gain weight. Want to lose weight? Burn off more than you take in.

Recent research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests that the obesity "epidemic" seems to have leveled off the past few years. It's not necessarily easy to lose weight, but people can do it.

On the other hand, we have people who compare candy to vodka. It's great for getting your name in the news. But it does the public no good.

Consider also the case of salt. For years, the conventional wisdom has been that we're eating too much salt and that it contributes to the risk of heart disease. Recently, though, the hyperbole has reached a new level.

"Salt is the single most dangerous ingredient in the food supply," warns the often hysterical Center for Science in the Public Interest. Meanwhile, CDC chief Thomas Frieden claims that "if you just eat the food that's in front of you, you will end up with high blood pressure."

Looking at recent research, though, should make us wonder if our blood pressure isn't affected more by these doomsday prophecies than salt.

A review of 167 studies published last fall in the American Journal of Hypertension found that sodium reduction was associated with significant increases in both cholesterol and blood triglycerides (fat) -- both risk factors for cardiovascular disease. And a study in the same journal released in the summer used data from 6,500 patients and found that even a 50 percent salt reduction was not associated with a significant decrease in the risk of dying or cardiovascular disease.

The American Dietetic Association rejects the idea of good and bad foods, noting that "the total diet or overall pattern of food eaten is the most important focus of a healthful eating style." That's what responsible professional advocates should focus on -- eating in moderation.

J. Justin Wilson is the senior research analyst at the Center for Consumer Freedom, a nonprofit coalition supported by restaurants, food companies and consumers to promote personal responsibility and protect consumer choices.

Find this article at:
    http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/powdered-sugar-the-new-blow-141878503.html