Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I tried them once....but because I'm bald....I had all these little green sprouts comin' outta my head....embarrassing.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I tried them once....but because I'm bald....I had all these little green sprouts comin' outta my head....embarrassing.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If you have Publix Supermarket, you can find them in the produce section with the other nuts and seeds. I didn't care for them whole in my smoothie...I'm going to grind them into a powder.
  • kellyg625
    kellyg625 Posts: 1
    Options
    Chia Muffins!

Here is the recipe:
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/chia-muffins

I've made them and they are absolutely delicious!
  • j0zf
    j0zf Posts: 10
    Options
    I've never tried them, but I think I'd put them in a coffee grinder and make them into a power before putting them in a smoothie. Just an idea :-)
  • junnieYJ
    junnieYJ Posts: 6
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks.:)
  • tinkeydooda
    tinkeydooda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump so I can read this tomorrow...love chia seeds and would love to gets some good recipes...
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump for later.

I have drank a raspberry drink at Whole Foods that had Chia seeds in it. Once you get used to the texture of of drinking it, it is not too bad. I would like to see/try other ways.
  • Meamo
    Meamo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump! so I don't forget to go pick up a few. Dr.Oz had featured chia seeds once and I forgot all about it..this is one of the reason I really dig mfp, like having that friend that tries everything before you! :happy:
  • joneskaw
    joneskaw Posts: 27
    Options
    bump. thanks for the recipe ideas everyone!
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just bought some of these today and I can't wait to try them in my overnight oats for tomorrow morning. I hope they do give that little boost of energy since tomorrow will be my first day of Insanity (I did the fit test today). :)

My usual Overnight Oats recipe is:

1/2 cup of old fashioned oatmeal
    1 scoop Jillian Michael's chocolate protein powder
    1 cup of coconut milk (unsweetened)

Tomorrow I'll add 1 Tbsp of chia seeds and see how it turns out!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Aaaah, so they DO work??? I've been wanting to try these for about 6 months now... I'm glad I finally found a product that actually get's good reviews! So, how much do they curb your appetite? You don't forget to eat, do you?? LOL:laugh:
    I haven't found them to be any more of a "superfood" than any of dozens of other healthy foods. I do feel full and satisfied when I eat them, but no more so than when I eat things like nuts, veggies, fruits, flax, wild rice, quinoa, etc. Nor have I found any special benefit in my running performance when I eat them. However they are a nice healthy food that tastes pretty good, so I eat them in rotation with my other healthy staples. I like variety.

this is what I posted on face book from blood work in mid june - I had started taking 1 krill oil per day and the occasional dose of chia seeds. I can also vouch that the fiber in chia seeds really does help - they are a great way to get an awesome balance of carbs/protein/fat and 0 sodium. very filling. lasts for hours. easy to use. helps with type two diabetes too as it absorbs sugar and slowly releases into system.

** Got my cholesterol tested this week - now that I eat all that bacon, real butter, and full fat cheese!!!! - Since Feb 1st have lost 58 lbs, my total cholesterol went up from 189 to 199........BUT.. my good cholesterol went UP from 33 to 41, yeah!!! Triglycerides went DOWN from 178 to 149. And the LDL (bad?) cholesterol went up only from 112 to 128. Pretty darn good if I do say so myself! And yeah - that's with bacon, beef, real cheeses, real unsalted butter, and fresh ingredients (try not to use cans or frozen foods). yeah!!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Are these healthy for you? Do you know if there are any side effects? Thinmen

the only side effect I can imagine & I have not researched it is possibly too much omega 3???? as at least 75-80% of american's do not get enough omega 3 i have not bothered to google it - but its a good question.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    When you add water to the chia seed it will become a gel. Once in a gel try adding it to your smoothie. That may help keep them from clumping. You can also use that gel as a fat substitute in baking. If you incorporate them into muffins it makes like a poppy seed muffin.

One thing to remember is that if you are eating chia seeds make sure you are drinking water, absolutely important. It will help keep you from getting dehydrated, These were used my south western indians and the hunters and scouts would take them on journeys when food was not readily available. They would be nourished and it would help them from dehydrating.
  • KatjaLynne
    Options
    Bump
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I also made a smoothie with 1 scoop ON Gold Standard Double Choc Protein Powder, f1/2 c. frozen raspberries, 1/2 c.blueberries,4 ice cubes, 1/2 c. water, chia seeds, in my VitaMix.....also the same feeling as you that the chia seeds were like raspberry seeds when I drank it.

Maybe i'll treat them like poppy seeds and bake with them.
  • Dirabin1
    Dirabin1 Posts: 1
    Options
    In the bulk foods section
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them all the time...usually mixed in yogurt or something of that nature.