Fast food should be taxed!

Options
Magnamus
Magnamus Posts: 66 Member
Add a tax to all fast food and subsidize healthy eating propaganda in public places.
They could even add a warning the doors of fast food places like on alcohol bottles and cigarettes packs.

By fast food I mean:
-anything fried
-with added sodium
-with added sugar
-anything that sounds unhealthy or you suspect is.

Replies

• ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Seems drastic.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar

Ugh, and now I'm going to have to hear people whining inappropriately about the "nanny state" and it's your fault. I like taxes and I'm a crazy liberal, but this sounds nuts.
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yes its sad when the healthy food is so much more expensive than the food that is fried and easier to get ahold of. As far as the warning labels...doesn't everyone know how unhealthy fast food places are? I thought that was a common understanding?
  • davidjulian
    davidjulian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with the initial statement, but "anything fried" isn't necessarily fast food. I've been to some fine dining establishments that serve a mean buttermilk fried chicken and fried green tomatoes. Would I eat it every day? No. But should it be taxed just because it's cooked in oil? No, I don't think so.

Totally agree fast food (i.e. McDonald's and the like) should definitely be prohibitively expensive for daily dining though. It should be a treat, not a regular habit.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Let's not let people vote, either. Yea, they might make a bad decision with their freedom. We better just take that freedom away, JUST IN CASE.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Umm most prepared food from resturants are already taxed.
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I dont go in those places but if people want to kill themselves eatting that garbage then I say go ahead.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No need to tax them, just eliminate the subsidies on corn and have beef go to a natural price. That's one of the reasons McDs is far more expensive outside of the US........
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yessss!!!! This might stop a few more people. Granted even though the population knows cigarettes cause cancer, they still smoke. But hey if we can save just one???
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Add a tax to all fast food and subsidize healthy eating propaganda in public places.
    They could even add a warning the doors of fast food places like on alcohol bottles and cigarettes packs.

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar

400pancake_bunny.jpg
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    F**K taxes
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    People would still eat it and pay for the extra tax, just like on the cigarettes.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    That won't stop anyone.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    and who gets to decide all this? the FDA? lol
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    No. **** No.

I cant think of anything else to say that wont get me banned. Mentalities like the OP's disgust me.
    Yessss!!!! This might stop a few more people. Granted even though the population knows cigarettes cause cancer, they still smoke. But hey if we can save just one???

The ends justify the means in your world eh? Good intentions have ALWAYS been the path to evil. Disgusting
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Taxes are NOT the answer to every woe we have. The government already has too much say in our lives.
  • daking639
    daking639 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar

No.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    I would settle for the elimination of subsidies on corn/wheat/soy
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about an extra tax? Food and Restaurants are already taxed in most (all??) states...

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't realize you were from Canada.... the USA already taxes food and food from restaurants... LOL...