Fast food should be taxed!

Options

Replies

• kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    While I think your idea is noble, I don't think it would really solve too much. People need to make their own decisions imo.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Fast food is already taxed here in MA. So what would Big Brother do with the money, piss it away on useless programs for people who don't want to be fit and healthy?

I just want to know why pot is legal in NY but not big gulps?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    lol
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    We should be properly educated about nutrition first.
  • waqasahmed939
    Options
    People would still eat it and pay for the extra tax, just like on the cigarettes.

New to the forums, but I reckon that the UK would consider the extra tax, once the total costs related to obesity is more than the total revenue from the food industry

In that sense, the NHS could become a political tool against the food industry
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Fast food is already taxed here in MA. So what would Big Brother do with the money, piss it away on useless programs for people who don't want to be fit and healthy?

He's from Canada. LOL.

I am pretty sure all states in the US have some sort of food/restaurant taxes already.... and this hasn't stopped us as a nation from consuming it in large quantities.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    No need to tax them, just eliminate the subsidies on corn and have beef go to a natural price. That's one of the reasons McDs is far more expensive outside of the US........

Exactly right. Corn is in everything because the USA pays farmers to grow it. That's why the soda is cheap, that's why the buns are cheap, that's why the beef is not all beef.
  • 8kidsmom
    8kidsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    Where in the Constitution does the government get the power to tax that? Or 95% of the other stuff they tax for that matter!?!:explode:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Only if the money goes for tax breaks to the job creators.
    Like extra tax food, give tax breaks to McDonalds to hire more workers.

win/win!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Add a tax to all fast food and subsidize healthy eating propaganda in public places.
    They could even add a warning the doors of fast food places like on alcohol bottles and cigarettes packs.

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar
    -anything that sounds unhealthy or you suspect is.

You're on a roll with posting silly things.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Only if the money goes for tax breaks to the job creators.
    Like extra tax food, give tax breaks to McDonalds to hire more workers.

win/win!!

If only...this is America. Taxes go towards paying the interest on 16 trillion in debt and millions of food stamps
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    and who gets to decide all this? the FDA? lol

The first thing we need to do is close down the FDA.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Where in the Constitution does the government get the power to tax that? Or 95% of the other stuff they tax for that matter!?!:explode:

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 of the United States Constitution
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Add a tax to all fast food and subsidize healthy eating propaganda in public places.
    They could even add a warning the doors of fast food places like on alcohol bottles and cigarettes packs.

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar

With your definition - yogurt and bread, even whole wheat would be taxed. Some raw meat would be taxed. Is that what you have in mind?
  • tomdVT
    tomdVT Posts: 30
    Options
    Yeah just what we need, more taxes more government more regulation. No thanks.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar

So the government can literally live off the fat of the land....
    those fat *kitten* have it so easy in Canada.
    If I want a $1 McChicken, I have to pay $1.07!!! $1.07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :brokenheart:
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Are you suggesting that the constitution does not give the government the right to levy taxes?
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    and who gets to decide all this? the FDA? lol

The first thing we need to do is close down the FDA.

Amen. The sad thing is I encounter people every day who would willingly defend the FDA to their deaths. It's like a slave defending the slaver. Insanity.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    No.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    not quite as easy as the OP wishes it was.