Why do vegans eat food products that represent animals?

Options
First off nothing against vegans or the food as I have best friends that are and I cater to them when they come to visit. So yea I have always thought it funny that hard core Vegans eat foods that look like animals. Like burgers. The whole Morning star brand. Fakin bacon etc. Am I the only one that thinks that's funny?

Replies

• bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same, maybe some will do tell ( :
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    In.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that there isn't any actual animal products in them no matter what the foods resemble.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    I have wondered the same thing.
  • skinnygirl078
    skinnygirl078 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always ate it for
    a) Protein. Beans taste nasty to me, so it was my only source of protein.
    b) Flavor. I still love the flavour of fake meat WAY more than real meat.
    c) Because we can (':
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    A friend and I have also wondered this
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Because vegans have a moral issue with eating animal products, not the taste. Although I know a couple vegetarians that do it because they don;t like the taste of meat (freaaks). And if they want a burger, how else would it look? You can't have a burger with no patty at all.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering that for years.

Corollary: people that don't eat meat (Worthington, for one) are the last people who should be attempting to emulate it..

Although, I have to admit, Prosage, in some circumstances, is pretty close to scrapple, Choplets kinda close sorta like gyro meat, and Leanies are quasi deviled ham / potted meat product.

Then again it looks like on it's BEST day vegetarian "meat" barely matches real meat on meat's WORST day.
  • Moonlitedi
    Moonlitedi Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    So maybe its not Vegans but the Marketing people that make them choose fake animals. Thus creating this line of awarkness.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Is it not marketing to make it look similar to those not noticing?

A few years ago, we took a group on a mission trip with a vegan. As a group, we went to the Hard Rock Cafe. She got her food first, and said it was the best hamburger she had eaten in years. Sadly, after about half gone, the wait staff came up and said there was a mistake, and they now had the non-meat burger. Needless to say, everyone (including her) had a good laugh.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    So maybe its not Vegans but the Marketing people that make them choose fake animals. Thus creating this line of awarkness.
    It depends on the culture. I lived in an SDA town, went to an (ultra conservative) SDA school and that's what "everyone" eats. Peer pressure. And it's the norm. People like to be part of a group

EDIT:
    Except me.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    They don't represent animals, they represent forms of food that most people grow up eating and are used to.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    It's less alienating in social situations like a barbecue. Vegans can keep to their diets without attracting too much attention.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It's less alienating in social situations like a barbecue. Vegans can keep to their diets without attracting too much attention.

Oh contrare, that makes me laugh even harder when you are trying to cut your Tofurkey and the darned thing falls apart...

I have always found this very fascinating as well and on several occasions amusing.

If you were just cutting into a block of well flavored tofu - I would not even bat an eye, some tofu is actually pretty good. But to put little crowns on your fake turkey slab and to stuff the collapsing hole with stuffing is just ridiculously amusing to me.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I think the point is that there isn't any actual animal products in them no matter what the foods resemble.

I'm vegetarian and that's exactly why:) But I do know some people like Dr Garth Davis and Steve Martin and my friend, Risha, don't like to eat things that even resemble an animal or animal product. Tonight, we went to a vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Scottsdale and the food was amazing but the "spare ribs" tasted like real meat and it kinda freaked me out. I asked them if it was real lol. No animals died or were harmed in the making of my meal tho:)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    morning star is not vegan there are eggs in most of their products as well as cheese.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    My reasoning for not eating most meat (pescetarian) is not because I object to how meat looks. Seems like a ridiculous question.

It's like asking why people who don't eat worms will eat gummy worms because they look like worms. Don't eat teddy bears? Then why would you eat gummy bears?
  • jameswanless
    Options
    Wow, what a ridiculous question. Ask about real issues, weight control, exercise, or something ... but why vegans eat faux meat that still resembles meat forms?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My reasoning for not eating most meat (pescetarian) is not because I object to how meat looks. Seems like a ridiculous question.

It's like asking why people who don't eat worms will eat gummy worms because they look like worms. Don't eat teddy bears? Then why would you eat gummy bears?

I think the difference is also in regards to the flavoring of it. Like Tofurkey for instance, its tofu designed to taste and look like a regular turkey...

I dont think gummy worms and bears would be as popular if they actually tasted like real worms and bears...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I understand it. There's more societal pressure than you think. Plus, cutting into a tofurky on thanksgiving is just more fun than just cutting into a giant block of baked tofu. It's tradition and allows a vegan the pleasure of enjoying a holiday without being too weird about it.

I'll say it again, societal pressure is more powerful than you think. Plus, what else would a burger look like. Round, triangle, 3 dimensional? How else would you make a burger look?