Why do vegans eat food products that represent animals?

Options

Replies

• louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    I know that when vegetarians use terms like "bits of dead animal" and "dead animal flesh" it's done in a judgmental way but all it does is make me hungry for hunks of dead animal.

No, it's done in a descriptive way.

I buy and cook meat for my partner, my family... I don't really *care* what other people eat, and have never felt judgemental about it. But call a spade a spade mate. It's a hunk of dead stuff. It's a description anyone preparing to eat it should really be comfortable with. (As you clearly are.)

I have an issue with people who only want sanitised products, where the animal they're eating is not really evident in the 'product'. If you're prepared to kill it, skin it, bone and gut it, I reckon you have the right to eat it. Myself, I could never do all those things, and I'd feel a hypocrite picking up something in the supermarket someone else killed for me, conveniently forgetting it was once a living thing.

That's not really calling a spade a spade though, it's more calling a spade an 'implement commonly used for digging'. We have a word that conveniently describes slaughtered and butchered animals: meat.
    And deciding whether someone has 'earned' the right to eat meat (by raising and slaughtering their own meat? LOL, do you apply the same logic to vegetables? Leather used in shoes? Trees that are cut down to make paper?) That's more than a bit hypocritical, unless you're making everything you use from scratch, lest it it be a 'sanitised' product.

Seriously though, be as judgmental as you want, just own it.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I know that when vegetarians use terms like "bits of dead animal" and "dead animal flesh" it's done in a judgmental way but all it does is make me hungry for hunks of dead animal.

I buy and cook meat for my partner, my family... I don't really *care* what other people eat, and have never felt judgemental about it. But call a spade a spade mate. It's a hunk of dead stuff. It's a description anyone preparing to eat it should really be comfortable with. (As you clearly are.)

I have an issue with people who only want sanitised products, where the animal they're eating is not really evident in the 'product'. If you're prepared to kill it, skin it, bone and gut it, I reckon you have the right to eat it. Myself, I could never do all those things, and I'd feel a hypocrite picking up something in the supermarket someone else killed for me, conveniently forgetting it was once a living thing.

That's not really calling a spade a spade though, it's more calling a spade an 'implement commonly used for digging'. We have a word that conveniently describes slaughtered and butchered animals: meat.
    And deciding whether someone has 'earned' the right to eat meat (by raising and slaughtering their own meat? LOL, do you apply the same logic to vegetables? Leather used in shoes? Trees that are cut down to make paper?) That's more than a bit hypocritical, unless you're making everything you use from scratch, lest it it be a 'sanitised' product.

Seriously though, be as judgmental as you want, just own it.

^^ This. Don't pretend it's not judgmental "because that's what it is". The peas you are eating are dead also, do you call them a bowl of dead stuff? Meat is meat, beans are beans, peas are peas. It's okay if you think meat is gross, but at least own what you are doing.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    First off nothing against vegans or the food as I have best friends that are and I cater to them when they come to visit. So yea I have always thought it funny that hard core Vegans eat foods that look like animals. Like burgers. The whole Morning star brand. Fakin bacon etc. Am I the only one that thinks that's funny?

Most people eating those are vegans starting out. However, why would a meat eater not eat veggie burgers and chick'in nuggets since they taste like meat but no animal needed to be murdered?
  • beckajw
    Options
    I understand it. There's more societal pressure than you think. Plus, cutting into a tofurky on thanksgiving is just more fun than just cutting into a giant block of baked tofu. It's tradition and allows a vegan the pleasure of enjoying a holiday without being too weird about it.

I'll say it again, societal pressure is more powerful than you think. Plus, what else would a burger look like. Round, triangle, 3 dimensional? How else would you make a burger look?

I think the people saying "because thats what a burger looks like" are missing the point of the question. Why do you want a food that looks like a burger? I think if you've made a life decision to have a plant based diet, no meat or meat products, I would think you would want just that food. The question is more if you dont eat meat, why is there a need for products that make it look and feel like you're eating meat?

Exactly, I saw vegan ham in the store. Really vegan ham? What's in it. I'd rather know what I'm eating (which is why I generally avoid hot dogs, etc.). Why do you need vegan ham. Call a pear a pear (or whatever).
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    I understand it. There's more societal pressure than you think. Plus, cutting into a tofurky on thanksgiving is just more fun than just cutting into a giant block of baked tofu. It's tradition and allows a vegan the pleasure of enjoying a holiday without being too weird about it.

I'll say it again, societal pressure is more powerful than you think. Plus, what else would a burger look like. Round, triangle, 3 dimensional? How else would you make a burger look?

I think the people saying "because thats what a burger looks like" are missing the point of the question. Why do you want a food that looks like a burger? I think if you've made a life decision to have a plant based diet, no meat or meat products, I would think you would want just that food. The question is more if you dont eat meat, why is there a need for products that make it look and feel like you're eating meat?

Well, if you want a sandwich, vegan or not, why not have a filling that fits the shape of the bread? Meat isn't naturally a flat, circular shape, nor naturally sliced, so why does it matter whether your sliced sandwich fillings are made of meat or beans/legumes/tofu/whatever? Or should vegetarian eats food only as it's naturally shaped? Because I eat meat, but I don't insist on it being looking like a cow.
  • beckajw
    Options
    First off nothing against vegans or the food as I have best friends that are and I cater to them when they come to visit. So yea I have always thought it funny that hard core Vegans eat foods that look like animals. Like burgers. The whole Morning star brand. Fakin bacon etc. Am I the only one that thinks that's funny?

Most people eating those are vegans starting out. However, why would a meat eater not eat veggie burgers and chick'in nuggets since they taste like meat but no animal needed to be murdered?

They don't taste like meat. I like veggie burgers and do eat them on occasion, but they don't taste like hamburgers. I don't have an issue with the veggie burgers. It's more the chick'in nuggets, and things of that nature. Why call it chick'in? Why not call it what it is? Tofu nuggets (or bean nuggets or whatever it is nuggets)? Why pretend it is meat? That's the original question.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Why does a cop on a motorcycle, give you a ticket for no seatbelt? When he has none on? ;-)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Anyway, lets move on to something like the hundreds of thousands of people who, with no history of celiac disease, suddenly, overnight, developed a sensitivity to gluten

When Kellogg's emblazons Rice Krispies as "Gluten Free" I think maybe perhaps it has jumped the shark.
  • mfoutch86
    mfoutch86 Posts: 87
    Options
    I used to assume that vegan/vegitarian meant they ate healthy. Whole grains, fruits, veg, ect, just not meat/dairy. That is until we helped some friends of ours move a few weeks ago. I have never seen more packaged junk in my life! One is a vegan, one is a vegitarian, but they amount of canned processed food was incredible. We are meat eaters at our house, and don't have hardly anything from a package. It was very eye opening to say the least. I've realized that ANY diet (carnivore, vegan/veg) is only as healthy as you make it.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Anyway, lets move on to something like the hundreds of thousands of people who, with no history of celiac disease, suddenly, overnight, developed a sensitivity to gluten

When Kellogg's emblazons Rice Krispies as "Gluten Free" I think maybe perhaps it has jumped the shark.

Most of these things IMO are a "fad". Unless is it medically necessary, there is no need for this, but it's everywhere now and everyone around seems to be jumping on the "gluten free" bandwagon.
    Just like with all the Soy products, why not have a helping of hormones?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

They don't taste like meat. I like veggie burgers and do eat them on occasion, but they don't taste like hamburgers. I don't have an issue with the veggie burgers. It's more the chick'in nuggets, and things of that nature. Why call it chick'in? Why not call it what it is? Tofu nuggets (or bean nuggets or whatever it is nuggets)? Why pretend it is meat? That's the original question.

I've had some that taste pretty close to meat imo. I think they call the chick'n nuggets that because they are suppose to remind you of chicken nuggets, it's not like they are hiding what it's made of. If someone wants to pretend it's meat then who cares? I know it's soy or whatever but I don't pretend it's meat. I just like some fried or breaded veggies here and there.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

You can develop food allergies at any point in your life. I recently discovered I have a dairy allergy. I have known I was lactose intolerant for years, but recently dairy started to clog my face with mucus and I was taking hard allergy pills because I didn't know what was doing it. When I quit dairy, it went away and I don't need pills to sleep anymore.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Of course, the carrots, tofu, etc. are also a hunk of dead stuff. Correct?

If you like.

Do you really want to dredge up the tired, fallacious 'carrots have feelings too' nonsense. Cause I may myself lose the will to live.... do you really want that on your xconscience
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

There is a growing number of people who have become vegan or choose vegan options like veggie burgers for health reasons, ie. bill clinton. Veganism isn't always a moral choice, especially with new research demonstrating that a plant based diet can lead to fewer health problems.
  • Laurie061273
    Options
    I have heard from veggie-friends that it made it easier to switch to the veggie lifestyle if they "tricked themselves" rather than eating the real thing.

We have a couple of veggie-saurus' living with us and with how they cook, we've been slowly shifting over to some veggie based foods without complaint! Granted, it is more expensive, but I'll tell you what... Boca tacos and boca sloppy joes are more filling than meat ones!
  • beckajw
    Options

Of course, the carrots, tofu, etc. are also a hunk of dead stuff. Correct?

If you like.

Do you really want to dredge up the tired, fallacious 'carrots have feelings too' nonsense. Cause I may myself lose the will to live.... do you really want that on your xconscience

I didn't say the veggies had feelings too. You said, you called meat "bits of dead animal" only because that's what it is. You said it had nothing to do with being judgmental. However, you don't call carrots bits of dead produce. So, ,my point is you aren't really being honest when you say you're only calling it what it is. You are calling it that for effect.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

There is a growing number of people who have become vegan or choose vegan options like veggie burgers for health reasons, ie. bill clinton. Veganism isn't always a moral choice, especially with new research demonstrating that a plant based diet can lead to fewer health problems.

Eating vegan does not mean eating healthy. Trust me. There are some pretty unhealthy vegan out there. I've tried to find vegan breakfast ideas to try to get veggies in my morning all I found are muffins and pancakes as vegan breakfast...yeah super healthy.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Eating vegan does not mean eating healthy. Trust me. There are some pretty unhealthy vegan out there. I've tried to find vegan breakfast ideas to try to get veggies in my morning all I found are muffins and pancakes as vegan breakfast...yeah super healthy.

I know there are unhealthy vegans, but most who switch for health reasons know the difference. Also, this may shock you, but vegans can still be healthy and have a pancake now and then just like some meat eaters can be healthy and have a cookie here and there, Its this new thing called moderation.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    For me I liked the taste of meat just not where it comes from, a lot of vegetarians are like that. Now I wouldn't want them to taste exactly like the stuff, it creeps me out but I still like a frankfurter or hamburger I don't think they will ever taste that much like them without having the animal fats in.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Hey. Start your own thread.