Gain 15lbs in like a month! I met my goals daily 99% time!

Options
I have been religiously sticking to my 1750 daily calorie goals to lose 1lb a week.

...I am sorry...but today after weeks I weighed myself...and after only 1 day going by a couple hundred calories...I have actually GAINED 15lbs last month!!!

I am gutted...and am not sure what to do.

I have been constantly eating less and gaining more and more weight.

Taken suggestions to drink more water....finally gaining more strength have started Aerobics...

I stared my weight at 107kg. I am now after like 4 weeks at 114kg! That is a gain of 7kg or almost 15lbs!

I am totally discouraged to eat less and exercise.

Has this happened to anyone else???

How could I have gained an average of 4lbs a WEEK...eating 1700calories a day at SEDENTARY lifestyle!

HOW HoW How???

Replies

• reesa722
    reesa722 Posts: 76
    Options
    Honestly, you may not be eating enough... I know that sounds crazy, but if your body thinks it's starving (whether or not you're hungry) it's going to hold on to everything you take in...
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you may not be eating enough... I know that sounds crazy, but if your body thinks it's starving (whether or not you're hungry) it's going to hold on to everything you take in...

Starving? On 1750 while sedentary? Me no think so. :huh:
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Of those calories, how do they break down in terms of carbs/fat, etc? It could be the combination of nutrients that you need to tweak.
    And, you definitely need to be drinking all of your water each day. I have been eating a 1200 calorie diet for almost a month and I find that if I don't walk or do some sort of exercise almost every day, my weight pretty much stays the same even though I am eating less and differently. My diet is low carb and low fat.

With all of that said, everyone is different. Is there a personal trainer or nutritionist you could see, at least once, to evaluate what you are doing and help you tweak it? Don't get discouraged... this is a learning process and any healthy changes you make will make you feel better overall.
  • smartmom0818
    Options
    One lesson I have learned since joining MFP is that while for some people, it doesn't seem to matter where their calories come from, for me, it matters. If I stay at or below my calories but all I ate was junk/processed/fried/fast food then I will not lose weight. But, when I try to eat better, I not only feel better but there is a loss on the scale. I think for some people it's more than just tracking calories, it's about what you are putting in your body as well. Good luck.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, would be my suggestion. What's your current height and weight?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    1750, if you really are sedentary, is quite a lot. Where did you get this figure from?
  • W0lfTeeth
    W0lfTeeth Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you measured your inches? maybe you're losing inches and gaining muscle?
  • spanna80
    spanna80 Posts: 9
    Options
    Dodgy scales?
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It may even be WHAT you're eating. I used to only ea once day but it would usually be takeaways and high fat foods an although the calories were low, the fat and sodium were high. (this is when I was a busy student and art time worker with no time on her hands). So maybe loo at the content of all your food an make sure you're not going over your sugar, fat and sodium on a regular basis?
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    Maybe a trip to see your doc is in order. Might be a thyroid issue. Make an appointment to have some tests run. I know gaining while limiting calories and moving is frustrating so there has to be something more. Good luck. please do not give up.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    One lesson I have learned since joining MFP is that while for some people, it doesn't seem to matter where their calories come from, for me, it matters. If I stay at or below my calories but all I ate was junk/processed/fried/fast food then I will not lose weight. But, when I try to eat better, I not only feel better but there is a loss on the scale. I think for some people it's more than just tracking calories, it's about what you are putting in your body as well. Good luck.

That's my experience as well. It's not just about calories in & out. It matters what you eat.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    How strict were you with portion sizes and/or with tracking every single thing that went into your mouth? I'm not calling you a liar, but I've done it myself where I grab a bite from someone else, have a soda at work I forgot about logging, anything.

You will find there are easily over 50 different 'ways to lose weight' with people swearing by each and every one of them. Different people lose weight different ways. Myself for example... I'm similar to you where I can eat at a deficit for months and either maintain my weight, or gain... but I can eat 3000 calories a day, as long as I do some kind of exercise, and drop 5lbs in 2 weeks.

Do some experimenting (giving each experiment a month or two) and see what works for you. Do some research, but don't get lost in the hundreds of forum posts, and thousands of "Pay me money for my book and you'll lose weight!" websites.

Adapt and overcome!
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Why not open your diary so we can have a look and give the best advice we know?

That does seem a lot to put on.. :(

BUT You can do it hun!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, would be my suggestion. What's your current height and weight?

this. we cant help if we cant see what you have been doing the last month!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    No idea how that is possible unless you are not accurate in your measurements.

as for people saying they maintain their weight at so and so many calories, so WHAT? this is about the OP's daily caloric needs. Your caloric needs are not relevant to theirs. OP has figured that 1700 cals a day should be enough to maintain or lose weight. They lead a sedentary lifestyle. Yet we have no idea what their height is. all we know is OP's start weight and 15lbs gain.

OP, you probably need to be moving MORE. Great job at staying at 1700 cals/day. I know it can be hard. especially if you are like me and used to eating well over 2000 calories. But a weight gain like that in only one month is very troublesome, and apart from moving more, I suggest seeing a doctor to get your thyroid levels checked. a friend of mine gained 70lbs during her pregnancy and was having a HARD time losing it, turns out it was her thyroid. got that under control and now weighs 100lbs.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    This is when Jillian Michaels would say to get your thyroid check and talk to a doctor about other possible issues, like medications you are on.

Best of luck.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Something doesn't add up here, you don't gain that kind of weight by accident or without something being wrong.

Post up you stats, what you eat on an average day and exercise routine.

Doctors check up would be a good start.
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I did put on a couple of kilos in here too a few weeks ago. I have now lost them and a little more.

I cannot tell you what is happening for you, but I can tell you what I did and seems like it has helped so far:

I tried to stay aware that weigh can go up and down naturally specially being a woman in my 40s (hormonal changes and stuff)
    I started logging EVERYTHING that went through my lips (including tea and coffee)
    I started to measure my meals, using cups and spoons for oil.
    I got a cheap HRM to log my exercise accurately.
    I committed to walking briskly at least an hour a day.
    I am drinking water like crazy!
    I am really cutting out sugar (just like how I feel when I don't have it)

This all seems to be helping, but I am sure others will give you different advise.

My advise, is to remember that this is a trial and error process, see what works for you and don't be discouraged! This is an amazing journey and you deserve you get healthier! :-)
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    medication may also make weight loss problematic ....
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure you weighed yourself properly to begin with? Did you take any measurements - they're more reliable in most cases? And 1,700kcal is okay but useless if it's all just pure rubbish, so what have you been eating/drinking?

Also, are you logging EVERYTHING? Condiments, butter, tea/coffee, drinks, alcohol and all that. And have you been accurately logging anyway? MFP people are quick to invent wild calorie estimates, so do your research before settling for something on the database - take it from someone who knows. :grumble: