Gain 15lbs in like a month! I met my goals daily 99% time!

Options

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is clearly something wrong if you gained 15 lbs in one month while eating 1700 calories per day. That's .5 lb per day. That's an EXTRA 1700 calories per day over your maintenance.

If there is truly nothing wrong with your scales or your portion size or your exercise calculations, then you really do need to go see a Dr.
  • Corian3105
    Corian3105 Posts: 16
    Options
    Are you checking the nutritional information on the food packages with the values in the database options you are selecting? Some of the calorie counts seem a little low - for example, 2 large eggs are registering as 146 cals, whereas average 'large' eggs by UK supermarket standards contain around 100 cals per egg. I'm not sure where you are from so that may not be relevant. I'd say the same about the sausages too, one fairly standard sausage contains 183 calories.

Make sure the nutritional values you are logging reflects what is actually in what you are eating.
  • wren337
    wren337 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    check your packages - I'm seeing "Bread - White, toasted, 2 slice" listed as 129 calories. Bread is usually like 110 PER SLICE. you need to be entering the exact brand you're eating and checking the entry against the label and weighing everything. You're definitely under-reporting your calories here. 0.9 pretzel sticks? 0.15 block of noodles? so you ate ALMOST ONE pretzel stick with dinner and 15/100's of a ramen noodle block? how do you even pretend to measure that?
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The only things i noted from your diary entries is

Is your white bread two slice calories right 125 for two slices seems low to me. Also all that cheese and ramen noodles and stuff contains loads of sodium which will make you retain water. I would try eating more protein, less carbs and more veggies for a week or two. If your calories are the mfp settings for sedentary and a 1lb a week loss I would stick with that and do more exercise. I am struggling too. I am on 1360 a day and I've still got nearly 40lb to lose.
  • lniber22
    lniber22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your calorie information? I was looking at your diary and you have buffalo wild wings six wings at like 450 calories. That sounds really low. To give you an idea Taco mac has nutition posted on their site and 20 wings is 3500 calories. Also, you have a tossed salad marked as a 100 calories but it has olives, egg, chicken, avocado and other items. Seems kinda impossible. I would say get your nutition information verified. That may be your biggest issue cause 1750 and sedentary is a good bit of calories.

Be honest with yourself about what you are eating and don't short change what you log. You won't see success until you get your mind right about what you are doing to your body.

Also agree with all the other posts about eating better food. lean protein, veggies, fruits, low fat dairy and whole grains are what your diet should consist of. And move! Even a walk will help and get you motivated to add more to an exercise routine!
  • wren337
    wren337 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    also unless you're eating that toast dry you need to be entering another 100 calories for a TBSP of butter
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Step away from the Latte !

You're 110 kg, probably 50 - 55% fat at a guess. Katch-McArdle says your BMR is 1440 - 1560 calories/day. http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/katch-mcardle-bmr-calculator/

Add 20% for sedentary, take off a 500 deficit puts you at 1230 - 1370 cals per day. Take off a 20% deficit gives you 1380 - 1500.

You're eating / drinking too much.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I know the scale lies, but I'm going to be mighty upset if I buy a food scale and find out that lies, too!

I was also wondering if OP needed to drop to 1200 a day. You made me realize though that even if the OP should be on 1200 calories a day to lose and is eating over maintenance at ~1700, that's not over enough to gain that much weight.

The scale always lies!

Glad it gave you something interesting to consider.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Ok I looked at your diary and I can tell you what's the culprit:

RAMEN NOODLE SOUP

I just LOOK at a package of ramen noodles and I put on 5 pounds of water LOL. Seriously that stuff is super salty and will bloat you up! And you're eating it practically every day. Cut it out of your diet and you will see a big difference.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you may not be eating enough... I know that sounds crazy, but if your body thinks it's starving (whether or not you're hungry) it's going to hold on to everything you take in...

Sorry but this is a load of rubbish.

It could be the truth.
    Basic physiology.

OP can you post your age and height.
    How often you work out?

Looking into your diary I can see 1 big miss.....PROTEIN!
    You eat little protein and lots of carbs.

Also is it hot where you live?
    Water retention in the heat is normal.

Another question is:

Do you sit around the house all day and barely move around at all.

Thats what sedentary people do.

My wife said she was sedentary so I bought her a fitbit....chick takes 12k-16k steps a day at work.
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    you need to keep away from Costa too.. :( I know how hard that can be, i LOVE lattes.. BUT if you are gona have it, have it with skimmed milk.. you will get used to it.. but thats one small step in the right direction.. and make it a weekly treat or something.. not everyday...
    Do you have the app on your phone that you can scan things in to log? Thats been a saviour for me..

x
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the dodgy scales, either the ones you are weighing yourself with, or the ones you are weighing your portions of food with.

Gaining 15lbs of muscle in a month whilst eating 1750 calories is not going to happen.

Gaining 15lbs of fat, would mean you now have 52,500 calories of energy stored as fat. Assuming a 30 day month, that means either absolutely every calorie you ate was stored as fat, or you used some of those calories and magically produced energy, which physics tells us cannot happen.

Something is clearly wrong here.

THIS
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My calorie allowance is 1730. I run at least 30 min 5 days a week. I typically do not eat nor want all of my alloted calories.
    I am slowly losing weight.

My suggestion: Reduce the amount of calories you are consuming by 100 - 200 cal/day and start a regular exercise program if you want to lose weight.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Maybe a trip to see your doc is in order. Might be a thyroid issue. Make an appointment to have some tests run. I know gaining while limiting calories and moving is frustrating so there has to be something more. Good luck. please do not give up.

^^I would suggest this.

Also, I sit at a desk all day, 6'2", currently 227, and I only take in 1650 around abouts. I am slowly losing because i cant get out and move but, not gaining. Also check your sugar/sodium intake. Some people have issues with both of them or one of them. Example: If I take in a lot of sugar, i cant lose weight, even if I am below my caloric intake for the day.

Also, I had a lot of issues logging at first because i wasnt measuring right or everything. Measure EVERYTHING, even what you drink! :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have been religiously sticking to my 1750 daily calorie goals to lose 1lb a week.

...I am sorry...but today after weeks I weighed myself...and after only 1 day going by a couple hundred calories...I have actually GAINED 15lbs last month!!!

I am gutted...and am not sure what to do.

I have been constantly eating less and gaining more and more weight.

Taken suggestions to drink more water....finally gaining more strength have started Aerobics...

I stared my weight at 107kg. I am now after like 4 weeks at 114kg! That is a gain of 7kg or almost 15lbs!

I am totally discouraged to eat less and exercise.

Has this happened to anyone else???

How could I have gained an average of 4lbs a WEEK...eating 1700calories a day at SEDENTARY lifestyle!

HOW HoW How???

your story is like deja vu for me. 8 years ago I was working out a gym similar to curves and doing weight watchers...and I GAINED 30lbs in about 4 months. I went to the doctor, and after some blood tests I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance. My doctor asked me to reduce my carbs to 50g net per day for 2 months before she prescribed medication. I did it, and lost 20 pounds in 2 months! I also got pregnant....

Due to some other factors, I gained about 50lbs back over 6 years. 6 months ago I started working out and following the MFP suggested macros. It took me 3 months to lose 7 pounds. I cut my carbs down to 100g per day and lost 8 pounds the first month, 6 the second month, and am on track to lose 6 the third month.
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    You might be taking in too much sodium also. I suggest you add sodium to the macros you are tracking and see if that is the case. Too much sodium retains water as well as being bad for your kidneys and causing high blood pressure. I'd see your doctor and discuss the issues you are having with him/her. Good Luck!!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you may not be eating enough... I know that sounds crazy, but if your body thinks it's starving (whether or not you're hungry) it's going to hold on to everything you take in...

Starving? On 1750 while sedentary? Me no think so. :huh:
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Sorry but this is ridiculous, the OP is NOT starving.

OP you are at your maintenance level hence no weightoss. Maintenance levels are not cut and dried across the board, some females can maintain at 2000 calories per day or more, many maintain at below 1600 (me and many others).

If you are consuming just over 1700 calories per day and not losing, you are at maintenance. You need to start cutting down on the calories, moving about more and getting a good exercise plan in operation. Then the pounds will fall off.
  • beachloe
    beachloe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're actually eating too much. You started off not much heavier than I did and I was set at 1200 cals sedentary for 1 and 1/2 pound loss a week. That calorie allowance just seems a little high to me.
  • GinaMarieAnderson
    Options
    from what i can see in your diary, you're not enough the right foods... lean proteins, veggies, fruits, yogurts, nuts, cereals, whole grains, etc etc is where you need to start... you WILL lose weight i promise... i lost 10 pounds and have been on this site for only 26 days... i started eating CLEAN... i have never eaten this much in my life... but i am eating the right things... i only have 1200 cals a day.... if you can have 1700 that is GREAT u will be able to eat SO much food!!!!... but it has to be the right food! NEVER Ramen noodles and sausage etc etc etc ... you can do it! if i can anybody can... also lemon water!!! melts away fat!!!!!!!!!! trust me.. look at my diary and see for yourself what i eat and how often i eat... that another thing, eat 5-6 times a day instead of 3... it works wonders :))) good luck to you!!!!!!