Gain 15lbs in like a month! I met my goals daily 99% time!

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    ...I was told...when someone prefaces a statement with "I dont mean to sound nasty"....well.....:-))

I know that, but I really did mean it. I want you to succeed, and I have faith that now that you know what might have been the problem, you will.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP eats more carbs than needed and too few protein.
    Still no info on
    Height
    weight
    Body fat%
    workout routine

or I missed it in all the mumbo jumbo.

OP if you like i'll run custom numbers for you.
    Jus PM me the info above.

My suggestion is for you to look into water retention and how to beat it.
    My body fluctuates up to 5lbs a day due to heat, sodium/potassium and carb intake.
    To gain 15lbs at your current caloric intake you would need to be about 3 foot tall.
    Also...hows the stress level?
    Also....are you doing cardio or lifting?
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    Still no info on
    Height
    weight
    Body fat%
    workout routine

My body fluctuates up to 5lbs a day due to heat, sodium/potassium and carb intake.
    To gain 15lbs at your current caloric intake you would need to be about 3 foot tall.

Here you go... but today I have headaches! I think I need some days to get used to eating less ...(carbs mostly as noted:-)

Height - 5'8 or 173cm
    weight (today) - 111.7kg / 246lbs
    Body fat% - one site says I am 38%...but I also went to the site and it says I am about 27% - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/
    Waist - 39in
    Forearm - 17.5 in
    Wrist - 7in

workout routine

Normally...when I am feeling good...I do about 3 times a week...walking for about 1.5 hours...but I have stopped that being disappointed with eating less...

But I plan to walk or ride my bicycle at least 3 times a week...cause my hubby is an Activity Junky and hounds me when I don't.

I went to the gym for some months and did heavy reps with low weights....this is because I tend to BUILD muscle immediately!! I don't want to build any more muscle...just trim the fat.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    and another thing I just remembered.

Before getting on MFP....I went to the doctor because I felt my tummy GROW in size! I felt so bloated and one day my stomach grew like 6 in!

The doctor here....gave me medicine for GAS!!! Because my german isnt perfect I didnt challenge him. He did say to come back if I still feel uncomfortable.

From the front I ook normal...but if I dont hold my stomach in I look like the bloated starved African child on the old World Vision adverts....or like a pregnant woman.

So i must get this stomach down!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Did the doctors do any MRI, CATscan or Xrays? If it hasn't resolved, get back to the doctor! I'd be concerned about some kind of tumor (malignant or benign) if something suddenly changed like that.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    haven't read the other 8 pages of this thread, pretty much only the OP.

Eating 1750 a day, and calculating your BMR to be about 1844, that's only a deficit of 94 calories a day, a total of 658 a week. A pound a week is a deficit of 3500 a week / 500 a day. That's assuming no exercise, going by you saying Sedentary in your post. My guess is that you aren't calculating your food intake accurately, especially if you aren't weighing it.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way unless there is a medical reason for it that a person who is eating 1750 calories a day and actually sticking to it will gain 15 lbs. Unless, that person weights about 50 lbs or less. So unless you have like an extreme thyroid issue or some kind of tumor growing in your body.. you didn't gain 15 lbs eating 1750 calories a day.. if you weight 120 lbs or more.

Something doesn't make sense. Check the scale.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    Did the doctors do any MRI, CATscan or Xrays? If it hasn't resolved, get back to the doctor! I'd be concerned about some kind of tumor (malignant or benign) if something suddenly changed like that.

I am just getting used to the health system in Austria. Am mainly familiar with UK....and moved here to be with my husband.

So.....they dont seem aggressive or like House and try to throw out suggestions!

I will have to go there and TELL his *kitten* what he should do....but I doubt they would just do a Scan off the cuff...

I will ask for blood work for sure! He did lay me down and pressed on my midsection for anything....and his physical inspection only lead him to suggest GAS....gave me some flatulence things that I really think were just sugar pills!!! crazy...

Made a healthy Veggie Smoothie with parsley, carrots, leeks and blueberries...(added Sugar substitute). Was actually nice.....it was a bit think so I could move my mouth almost like eating.

Been having headaches since yesterday still!! oh the withdrawal from all those Carbs is killing me softly!!!

:-)
  • fitatfiftyfive
    Options
    A trip to the doctor might be a good idea. You could be entering menopause - don't know your age but some women actually start in their late 30's early 40's. Or could be your thyroid or sugar.
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't want to worry you but bloating can be a symptom of ovarian cancer which is often misdiagnosed. Please go back to the doctor asap and get this checked out.
    The most likely cause though IMO is not logging accurately and I have to agree with those that have said there's not much point using a tool like MFP unless you take time to check your calories are accurate...Good luck, hope you can work out why you have this weight gain and get to where you want to be.
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I see you already have pages and pages of advice, but I want to chime in.

I recommend you buy a food scale. Weigh your food and enter your calories before you put them in your mouth.

Make sure you are moving your butt. Exercise (at least walking) for at least a half hour 5x a week. You can eat the calories back if you don't want to lose weight that quickly.

Do not eat late at night. Eat evenly spaced meals of about equal size throughout the day.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    Well am finished with Day 2 of 1300 calorie....did that commenter NOTE that I listed GUM!!! Is that being picky enough??? :-)))

So I give it this last shot for a week.....and see what the results show.....

Again, checking on health issues along the way also.....

:-)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Still no info on
    Height
    weight
    Body fat%
    workout routine

Here you go... but today I have headaches! I think I need some days to get used to eating less ...(carbs mostly as noted:-)

Height - 5'8 or 173cm
    weight (today) - 111.7kg / 246lbs
    Body fat% - one site says I am 38%...but I also went to the site and it says I am about 27% - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/
    Waist - 39in
    Forearm - 17.5 in
    Wrist - 7in

workout routine

Normally...when I am feeling good...I do about 3 times a week...walking for about 1.5 hours...but I have stopped that being disappointed with eating less...

But I plan to walk or ride my bicycle at least 3 times a week...cause my hubby is an Activity Junky and hounds me when I don't.

I went to the gym for some months and did heavy reps with low weights....this is because I tend to BUILD muscle immediately!! I don't want to build any more muscle...just trim the fat.

BMR 2148
    TDEE 2983

Cut calories at 2300 to lose fat at a decent rate.
    You dont eat enough.

2300 will lose you in excess of 1.20lbs per week with a 10lb drop in 9 weeks.
    Water weight tends to come off first showing dramatic changes on the scale.
    After the adjustment time you should see results of 1.20lbs per week eating 2300 daily.

Dropping calories down to -30 TDEE gives you a 1.77lb drop per week.
    Staying below BMR for extended periods of time show a rapid drop in leptin with increased cortisol output.
    This could work against all efforts to lose proper weight since LBM gets used in high cortisol instances.

REcommended calorie per day = 2300.
    Protein and Fat at 30% each.

If you have any questions let me know.
    My numbers have a 98% success rate so far.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    UPDATE Community.

Well I think Ive found what works for me....and more importantly healthy for me (though some may think not).

I started a VERY LOW CARB diet last Friday. First couple of days I had constant headaches! Think it was carb withdrawal.

But on Day 4...I had lost .2kg / .5lb and this is the beginning of Day 5 and I weighed in with another .6kg lost...

That is a total weight loss of .8kg or 1.76lbs in 4 days!!!!!

So the same logic that I couldnt have gained so much weight since it takes 3500 excess...and now....it means I would have been almost (3500 x 2) 7000 deficit in 4 days....which I havent been. My diary is OPEN.

Reading on the effects of Carbs in the bloodstream,....especially TOO many carbs....causes the body to stop releasing the Fat for Energy...so my exercising didnt work...I had too many CARBS in my body ! And the first wave of eating less didnt work cause I still gave my body Carbs (which is used as glucose/energy).

Low Carbs is it for me.

For about 3months I hope to continue it REALLY strictly....and slowly incorporate over time more high carbs veggies.....but in a realistic way.

Finally Lord!!! Found what works for me!

phew....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

If you lift in a calorie deficit you arent going to build muscle, but you will burn fat and look more defined with it. I'd say go for it :)
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 lbs in a couple of months. I then found out I had metabolic syndrome. It's heart breaking to see all your hard work not pay off. Try changing things until you find what works for you. Keep at it. You can do this.
  • jaymartin1978
    jaymartin1978 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You have to eat live, healthy food. I know I have only been on this site for 1 day but I have lost 40 lbs in the past. Try to add a green drink to your diet and drink plenty of water. A calorie is not a calorie. You still need to feed your body with nutrients not just track calories.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Do a better job of tracking your foods, and adjust your macros.

I have to TRY to gain 5 pounds in a month, so you should be able to tell if you're overeating enough to gain 15 pounds.
    That means you were over by 1,750 calories per day, on average. That should be noticeable.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Have you measured your inches? maybe you're losing inches and gaining muscle?
    probably not since she's sedentary
    One lesson I have learned since joining MFP is that while for some people, it doesn't seem to matter where their calories come from, for me, it matters. If I stay at or below my calories but all I ate was junk/processed/fried/fast food then I will not lose weight. But, when I try to eat better, I not only feel better but there is a loss on the scale. I think for some people it's more than just tracking calories, it's about what you are putting in your body as well. Good luck.
    i found this to be true, too. my body hates highly processed, high-sodium foods. it might taste good, but i always feel like crap afterwards and my body retains soooo much water from it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Reading on the effects of Carbs in the bloodstream,....especially TOO many carbs....causes the body to stop releasing the Fat for Energy...so my exercising didnt work...I had too many CARBS in my body ! And the first wave of eating less didnt work cause I still gave my body Carbs (which is used as glucose/energy).

Low Carbs is it for me.

For about 3months I hope to continue it REALLY strictly....and slowly incorporate over time more high carbs veggies.....but in a realistic way.

Finally Lord!!! Found what works for me!

phew....

Firstly, congratulations on finding out what works for you. If you enjoy and can stick to this method of eating consistently over the long term you are sure to accomplish your goals.

I don't think it was an excess of carbs per se which caused your significant weight gain (particularly if you were anywhere near reporting your intake properly which it seems you were) more so than a food intolerance which caused a significant amount of water retention. Given that you recently moved country (I presume this is right?) it was probably an environmental change of eating something or things different in your host country which you didn't eat in the UK. It certainly explains the hugely bloated look you had around your stomach.

The weight coming off quickly is simply a sign of mostly water loss rather than real fat loss (although if you are in a calorie deficit a small part of that will be fat). I think it is probably in your interests overall to find out exactly which foods cause it (as opposed to a particular macro nutrient) because this will give you more flexibility in the future. Adding back certain types of carbs slowly in the future seems a smart move because hopefully you will then be able to identify which particular foodstuff caused your issues.