From your experience what helps tone your butt?

Options
From experience what cardio and strength exercises can help tone and lift your butt? I've done a lot of searching and find most sites just contradict each other (one says running works, another says it doesn't. One says swimming, another doesn't etc) My butt is my most hated area and I really want to start getting it toned. I know squats and lunges are good, but anything else to add to really kick it into gear? (I have nowhere to hike around here) I have just got a gym membership so what machines there should I be getting on?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question considering how many sites are out there on google, but I just want to know from your experience what you found to help.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be getting on ANY machines.

Heavy barbell squats (Work up to your own body weight on the bar. So if you weigh 140, you would put 140lbs on your back and do full squats. Obviously you have to work up to this slowly.)
    Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    kettlebell swings hands down!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options

Heavy barbell squats (Work up to your own body weight on the bar. So if you weigh 140, you would put 140lbs on your back and do full squats. Obviously you have to work up to this slowly.)
    Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

Thank you =) I thought maybe machines since they have many resistance training machines but your right, I need to add weights and better strong squats. Ah I'm going to die T.T I'm pretty weak but I will try.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Doggy style!

duh

:wink: :devil:
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    kettlebell swings hands down!

I have some kettle bells somewhere around my house so I'll try and dig them out =)
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Squats....Kettlebells...and Squats!
  • wellbert
    Options

Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

Thank you =) I thought maybe machines since they have many resistance training machines but your right, I need to add weights and better strong squats. Ah I'm going to die T.T I'm pretty weak but I will try.

When my wife started squatting, she could barely handle an empty barbell. Fast forward two and a half months... Last night she did 170lbs.

And trust me, it works for your purposes ;)

Remember, FULL squat. Half squats won't engage your glutes!

start with 'so you think you can squat' on youtube.

I'd suggest doing 3 sets of 5 three days a week. Each time, add 5lbs. Sometimes you won't be able to add weight.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Doggy style!

duh

:wink: :devil:

lmao not possible right now (wondering why I broke up with him now T.T), but I'll keep that in mind >=3
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    For me:
    Squats
    Lunges
    Step Ups
    Leg Press

Most important though is eating at a calorie deficit to lose the excess fat and help all that tight muscle show.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Squats....Kettlebells...and Squats!

I was really hoping to hear someone say something other than squats but I guess it's not going to happen ha ha.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    squats!! Zumba is also an awesome leg and butt exercise!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options

Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

When my wife started squatting, she could barely handle an empty barbell. Fast forward two and a half months... Last night she did 170lbs.

I'd suggest doing 3 sets of 5 three days a week. Each time, add 5lbs. Sometimes you won't be able to add weight.

Do you think 10kg is ok to start with? It's what I'm on right now. Then just increase as I go along?
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    you dont need a machine.... squats, lunges, and step ups that work your glutes. If you want a machine you can do a stairmachine.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Lunges (all kinds)
    Step Ups

With heavy weights. Until your legs are like jello.

I don't think running helps lift the butt, it only helps to create a deficit. My butt looks better now at 112 pounds than it did at 102 pounds because it is muscular. It was flabby when all I did was run/cardio.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership nor do I have heavy weights. I use my stairs. I read that if you take them 2 at a time, it will tighten your behind.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Barbell back squats...
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Barbell back squats...

I have barbell weights (Not that heavy though) and have just tried them... yeah they should work! Ouchies
  • wellbert
    Options

Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

Do you think 10kg is ok to start with? It's what I'm on right now. Then just increase as I go along?

Sure! The most important thing is to get FORM nailed down. THEN worry about weight.
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Brazilian Butt Lift DVDs?
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    This will sound like a very dumb question (mainly because I don't know what it's called) But I have seen a machine they say helps.

You sit with your legs up against this weighted thingy and then push it away from you. Can I add those as well? (along side the squats and everything)