From your experience what helps tone your butt?

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    This will sound like a very dumb question (mainly because I don't know what it's called) But I have seen a machine they say helps.

You sit with your legs up against this weighted thingy and then push it away from you. Can I add those as well? (along side the squats and everything)

It's a leg press. Doing a leg press instead of a squat is like choosing to have a mcdonalds hamburger instead of a filet mignon from a four star restaurant at the same price.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    This will sound like a very dumb question (mainly because I don't know what it's called) But I have seen a machine they say helps.

You sit with your legs up against this weighted thingy and then push it away from you. Can I add those as well? (along side the squats and everything)

It's a leg press. Doing a leg press instead of a squat is like choosing to have a mcdonalds hamburger instead of a filet mignon from a four star restaurant at the same price.

You can do leg press along side squats and everything else.

I use the leg press when I am sick of squats/lunges/step ups and looking to do something else.

Is it the exact same? No.. but will it get the job done? Yes.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you want to work the butt and you are not doing any variation of the glute bridge or barbell hip thrust..........you are doing it very, very wrong.

Hip thrusts produce more glute activation that any exercise......yes even more than squats!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options

Ok, so it may not be useful but at least I know the term for it now. Thanks for all the help =)
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options

You can do leg press along side squats and everything else.

I use the leg press when I am sick of squats/lunges/step ups and looking to do something else.

Is it the exact same? No.. but will it get the job done? Yes.

I do quit like it so may use it like you said along side. I will just try not to rely on it like I did last year.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    If you want to work the butt and you are not doing any variation of the glute bridge or barbell hip thrust..........you are doing it very, very wrong.

Hip thrusts produce more glute activation that any exercise......yes even more than squats!

I just had to google that ha ha. Looks very mmmm ... yeah o.O
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Look into Pauline Nordine's The Butt Bible Workout. IT WORKS! I have been doing it for about a month now and have seen results. You can check it out on Youtube. It's a 3 level 6 week program.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Brazil Butt Lift and do it with ankle weights! Did wonders for my "Build a Butt" program!!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Jillian improved my butt a TON. I couldn't believe it. It was incredible!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be getting on ANY machines.

Heavy barbell squats (Work up to your own body weight on the bar. So if you weigh 140, you would put 140lbs on your back and do full squats. Obviously you have to work up to this slowly.)
    Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

Why no machines?
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    What movement are you doing with the Kettle Bells to get the butt benefits?
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Doggy style!

duh

:wink: :devil:

You took the words right out of my mouth :wink:
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Doggy style!

duh

:wink: :devil:

I was gonna say butt sex, but that only makes your butt bigger.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, running, yoga.... tons of stuff! :bigsmile:
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what a previous poster said, machines can produce good results and are a fine alternative if you cannot obtain good form or have problems with your knees or back (as I do). Are they ideal? No, but I've gotten definition and growth of my quads, hams and glutes using leg presses, hamstring curls and leg extensions.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    squats!

Also treadmill intervals. Being ar 0 incline at a 2.5 to 3.5 pace. every 2 min increace the incline buy 2..leave teh speed i go up to 14 and them back down it takes 30 min. I begain at a 2.5 pace but was able to work up to 3.5 the idea is to be able to do teh same pace at all incline levels so don't start out too fast. and yes i do hold on at a 12 and 14 incline.

This is also awesoem b/c it's cardio and toning.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    for me what has worked is
    squat - both without and with weights - currently with free weights since i dont have a gym membership
    lunges - same as above
    treadmill at a steep incline :)
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    kettlebell swings hands down!

4-sho
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Our gym calls these butt-blasters ... yeah, I know.. *gigglesnort.

On hands and knees, feet straight behind (not splayed out). Put a 10-15 lb dumbbell on the bend of one knee. Bend your leg (still keeping foot straight in alignment with your thigh). Lift that weighted leg straight up as high as you can - like, trying to hit your butt with your heel. Keep foot & leg swinging as vertical as you can. Imagine seeing it from the ceiling - straight, up and down, not out to the side. On the down swing, pull knee in towards your chest, and don't let your knee rest on the floor in between. We do 10-15 of these then switch sides.

We'll mix these in from time to time, but mostly it's the evil squats of some form or other.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Although my backside still needs A LOT of work...I think what has helped the most has been squats with a weighted bar....lunges work really well with hand weights too....HATE lunges though!