From your experience what helps tone your butt?

Options

Replies

• kathryn_m
    kathryn_m Posts: 31
    Options
    bump.
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Our gym calls these butt-blasters ... yeah, I know.. *gigglesnort.

Just laughed out loud at the *gigglesnort!!!!! I'm going to use that!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Our gym calls these butt-blasters ... yeah, I know.. *gigglesnort.

On hands and knees, feet straight behind (not splayed out). Put a 10-15 lb dumbbell on the bend of one knee. Bend your leg (still keeping foot straight in alignment with your thigh). Lift that weighted leg straight up as high as you can - like, trying to hit your butt with your heel. Keep foot & leg swinging as vertical as you can. Imagine seeing it from the ceiling - straight, up and down, not out to the side. On the down swing, pull knee in towards your chest, and don't let your knee rest on the floor in between. We do 10-15 of these then switch sides.

We'll mix these in from time to time, but mostly it's the evil squats of some form or other.

O.O That sounds difficult ha ha. I will google the technique and make sure I get it right

Also butt blasters made me laugh XD
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Although my backside still needs A LOT of work...I think what has helped the most has been squats with a weighted bar....lunges work really well with hand weights too....HATE lunges though!

I DETEST lunges too. Maybe because I have the worst balance ever and end up toppling over when I do it >.> I keep practising though.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be getting on ANY machines.

Heavy barbell squats (Work up to your own body weight on the bar. So if you weigh 140, you would put 140lbs on your back and do full squats. Obviously you have to work up to this slowly.)
    Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

After you do this, to keep your thighs and butt from hurting too much, walk it off on a treadmill at about an 8% incline for 20 minutes at maybe 3.0 - 3.5 mph. :D
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    From experience what cardio and strength exercises can help tone and lift your butt? I've done a lot of searching and find most sites just contradict each other (one says running works, another says it doesn't. One says swimming, another doesn't etc) My butt is my most hated area and I really want to start getting it toned. I know squats and lunges are good, but anything else to add to really kick it into gear? (I have nowhere to hike around here) I have just got a gym membership so what machines there should I be getting on?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question considering how many sites are out there on google, but I just want to know from your experience what you found to help.
    I walk my dogs two miles every day and do Zumba almost every day. My butt has lost about 4 inches and it has lifted up. :) I love it. I don't do any difficult workouts either.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Sure! The most important thing is to get FORM nailed down. THEN worry about weight.

THIS... Squats are fantastic, but do them right.

I get looks for not going super low, but due to injuries, that's all I can safely do. Do what you can with what you've got, and do it well.. But squats are seriously awesome! I'm still a good 15-20 pounds overweight, and my butt looks great (so I keep hearing anyway lmao)
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options

Heavy barbell squats (Work up to your own body weight on the bar. So if you weigh 140, you would put 140lbs on your back and do full squats. Obviously you have to work up to this slowly.)
    Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

After you do this, to keep your thighs and butt from hurting too much, walk it off on a treadmill at about an 8% incline for 20 minutes at maybe 3.0 - 3.5 mph. :D

Thanks for the advise =) Nothing worse than a sore butt after for putting you off squats =/
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Look into Pauline Nordine's The Butt Bible Workout. IT WORKS! I have been doing it for about a month now and have seen results. You can check it out on Youtube. It's a 3 level 6 week program.
    ^^^THIS^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcNxaXb5Ews
    Plus I find her hilarious.
  • haley6251993
    Options
    squats squats squats!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

If you do squats/lunges/step ups to failure, there is no way hell that you are going to want to look at a treadmill, let alone hop on one for a twenty minute walk on an incline.

OP:
    I'd ignore this advice if I were you, and just go with some stretching afterwards instead.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Look into Pauline Nordine's The Butt Bible Workout. IT WORKS! I have been doing it for about a month now and have seen results. You can check it out on Youtube. It's a 3 level 6 week program.

Looks good =)... they are so flexible though O.O Don't think I can lift my leg like that.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options

Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

If you do squats/lunges/step ups to failure, there is no way hell that you are going to want to look at a treadmill, let alone hop on one for a twenty minute walk on an incline.

OP:
    I'd ignore this advice if I were you, and just go with some stretching afterwards instead.

I kind of have to do this though, it takes 20 mins to walk home and it's a little incline ha ha. But I'll add the stretches for just after,
  • springbreakmission
    springbreakmission Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If your looking for something a little different and fun you could try Pop Pilates. It's not for everyone but I love it and maybe you will too =)

I usually do the hips, thighs, legs, or butt videos since that's where i need the most work. The vids pack a punch even though they are pretty short (5-25 min) so i sometimes repeat them if i feel i can with good form. I've been doing them for almost 3wks now and my butt has gotten a little smaller and it has definitely lifted...so no complaints here

http://blogilates.com/butt or http://blogilates.com/legs-thighs has some butt workouts too

best of luck
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    One of my fitness classes does the brazilian butt workout and wow...am i sore...It works!
  • airlily
    Options

Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

OP:

my trainer has me do this after leg and butt workouts, but it's up to you what works for you. I wouldn't tell you to ignore anyone's advice here as something will definitely work for you. :)
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options

Glute ham raises
    deep weighted lunges
    weighted step ups

OP:

my trainer has me do this after leg and butt workouts, but it's up to you what works for you. I wouldn't tell you to ignore anyone's advice here as something will definitely work for you. :)

I don't think she was saying it was wrong, but more you might be very sore after doing it.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    squats and high incline walking do it for me. I do also use the leg press when i'm in one of my i hate squats phases( like now) but i feel it far more when i incline walk
  • airlily
    Options
    I don't think she was saying it was wrong, but more you might be very sore after doing it.

Oh no, it's okay! I was just a little stunned at how she worded it. I am trying to think back to when I first started toning, and I do remember being so sore the next day, I couldn't sit on the toilet without crying (the bending down hurt). Embarrassing -- I still wonder if my neighbor heard me crying next door!

But yeah, my trainer had me either do the treadmill or the elliptical after leg and butt work to ease that pain, and it worked. It's been a while, though, since I've felt that horrid -- or maybe I've become used to it?

Anyway, thank you for being nice, and again, I hope you find something that works for you! Sagging fannies aren't fun. XD
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    deleted after messing up a quote message