Why does everyone love Zumba so much?

Options

Replies

• BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    i love it because you are having FUN while burning. I can burn like 900 calories while having fun is a win win in my book....
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba; but to each their own. Just like any exercise... why do we go chop down a tree, or haul some bricks around for an hour for exercise... exercise at its' core is pretty silly. ^_^ I may look silly at Zumba, but I'm having a blast and breaking a mean sweat!
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    I think that one of the things that I need in a Zumba class is a great instructor who is super energized and motivates me to move and dance. I have been to Zumba classes with a bad/boring instructor and I just cannot get into it at all.

I feel the same way about step aerobics classes that I attend - I need a good instructor that is easy to follow, yet still pushes me to work harder than I would if I was just hanging out on the elliptical machine.

Everyone is different :) I think Zumba is fun simply because it combines cardio and dance :)

Absolutely! A great, energetic instructor is key. Or else Zumba will suck.
  • sizzler0123
    Options
    I have to agree with many on here that say it really depends on the instructor. A great one will really motviate you and keep you going, change it up and challenge you. If you love to dance this is a great workout.

I really think the key to any successful workout is finsing something you enjoy and doing that. If you don't like it - don't do it. I love it personally and mix it up with 3 or 4 runs a week, 2 Zumba classes and maybe some walks. I like to have variety and i find summer harder because Zumba is not offered in the summer where ilive. Can't wait till fall!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba lover. To me it is the most fun workout I've ever done (and I've done a lot over these many, many years). But I'm sure you are not the only one that doesn't like it. To each his own. Do what you enjoy!
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba on days when I don't feel like running. But, I agree that it totally depends on the instructor. Ours choreographs new dances almost every week and then when you come enough & know the older dances, it really is fun! She uses all kinds of current music, not just the latin music.

BUT, I don't know how to track zumba or "fitness dance" on my exercise tracker. Any suggestions? I don't want to overestimate the number of calories I'm burning but I do get a great workout & sweat a lot. I definitely don't think it burns 1000 calories per hour. It is certainly not as efficient as running! But it is much more fun & good for variety.

According to my HRM I burned 476 last week when it was a 75 minutes class and 345 or something around there this week for an hour. I have found that all the exercises in the tracker show more calories burned than my HRM show.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba at home on the Wii and I like that better than doing a class. I only do it about once a week and it just to break up my normal routine of kickbox, jog, weight lifting. It's just fun to jump around at home and try to score points! Plus it burns a ton of calories and doesn't feel like like work.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I want to try a zumba class!! ... I cant wait .. Im not coordinated at all either, it should be a good laugh!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I tried it once, and it really bothered my right lower back. I have one leg that is slightly longer than the other and the moves were just irritating my back area, so I don't do it again. But I can see the appeal if you love to dance, that would be a great way to work out!
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    well for me is because i just love to dance..being latina i can't help it that i love it lol and i have fun with and doesn't feel like a workout but it is :)
  • sherry98008
    sherry98008 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I guess I was spoiled by my Jazzercise classes where the instructors really ensure you are doing the moves correctly so you don't hurt yourself. I tried a Zumba class and 1) I couldn't see the instructor because she was on the floor, not in a platform, and 2) she wouldn't call out or demonstrate the moves. I'm in pretty good shape was was used to a dance class, but I felt like I wasn't using correct form for some of the moves and that I could potentially hurt myself. No thanks!
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba b/c it's dancing and not exercise to me. I hate running, but love to dance. To each their own is what I say.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. I have tried it a few times. It's alright I guess, but I really can't get into it. I see all these posts about how great it is. I just don't see it.

I keep being told I should come to class. I just keep on brushing them off. I would rather try to build muscle or go for a run if I am doing cardio.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it at all?

I'd rather run. Or do some interval training (tabata is my new favorite). Or punch a bag. Or push bamboo under my fingernails. Or just about anything other than Zumba.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm hesitant to try Zumba again is because I feel like I don't have any rhythm and I don't want to embarrass myself in a class at the gym. I'm not going to knock those who do enjoy it though. If you're doing an activity that you enjoy, then good for you.:smile:
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Im a zumba fan - in fact I tried a new class last night and it kicked my *kitten* !!! I love it!

I think it comes down to different strokes for different folks - my bestie hates it. For me, I do zumba once a week, strength training once a week and some other form of cardio once a week. The zumba for me is just a more fun way to work out - less grueling, ya know? I can totally dig jogging on treadmills (and I do that as well) but its just not FUN.
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am on board with all the people who say it depends on the instructor- I also say it depends on the music. I tried several classes and was not into it at all. Then I went to one with an awesome instructor who uses less latin music and a lot more current radio hits. She tries to keep it challenging by including floor work, weights, and varying the moves between routines so that nothing looks the same.
    If not for this class though, I would be on board with the Zumba haters! :D
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Tried a few instructors before I found one that made it an 8 on a scale of 1 -10. Going with friends is what makes it good for me. Pretty boring work out otherwise. Ppl like to say its just like dancing. I dont agree with that either. I like insanity classes, HIIT, boot camp, etc- so obviously zumba is a little low key compared to what I like. I feel good for having worked out- but I also feel like I need another hour on the floor with weights and maybe the gauntlet or jacobs ladder before I can say I really had a WORKout.
    Flip side- if this is the only exercise for some- GREAT! We all need whatever we can give ourselves.
  • angelbaby52102
    angelbaby52102 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it depends on the instructor you have too.

I've had some different instructors, one in particular I don't like and the whole time during her class I was thinking to myself, thank god this isn't my first time doing zumba because she would make me hate it LOL
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think its a fun way to learn a new dance. and its a sexy dance. my man loves watching me play it on the wii. it is a good calorie burner as well!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Some people like it, some people don't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, simple as that.