Why does everyone love Zumba so much?

Options

Replies

• amblee125
    amblee125 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba and it's the only thing I have found that I LOVE to do. But then, I have a GREAT instructor and over 30 people are in his two classes the days he has it. I have taken a couple of others in other towns and I was sooo bored and hated it! So it definitely depends on the instructor and well, if you like to dance lol.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I love it. My instructor mixes it up all the time so almost every night we get a new routine. My body don't move like they want it to...she says roll your body and I say my body has rolls it just don't roll....oh well I'm up and moving and sweating for an hour and I burn a ton of calories.
  • jenguhl
    jenguhl Posts: 79
    Options
    I don't really care for it either! I'm totally uncoordinated and if it requires more than two consecutive steps, I'm lost. I get more frustrated with it and then I don't feel like I'm getting a good workout.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's just a trend. I tried it like 5 years ago and didn't click with it.

I think part of the mania is their exaggerated 'calories burned' claims. If I thought I could burn 1000 calories in an hour of mostly dancing, I would be all over that.

Yea, I see it as a trend too. I think I am mad at it because it took the place of a class I really did enjoy too!

Actually anything I've read said that's it's not just a passing fad. I think 12 million people do it each week or something like that. If it was a fad it would have gone away already. My teachers are awesome. Zumba seems here to stay (class attendance has not faded over the year at my gym anyway).
  • Mojofiendish
    Options
    I don't like it either! BORING!!!!!! But its just my opinion.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love it because I love to dance. It's not my main workout but I'm going today. This will be my second time going. Insanity is more my thing but I can see why people love it. If you aren't much of a dancer I can see you hating it.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba and it's the only thing I have found that I LOVE to do. But then, I have a GREAT instructor and over 30 people are in his two classes the days he has it. I have taken a couple of others in other towns and I was sooo bored and hated it! So it definitely depends on the instructor and well, if you like to dance lol.

I agree.

And also, not to sound sexist but my favorite Zumba instructors have been men as well. They really work you hard!
  • lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEE zumba sooo much!!! I know a lot of people here are not that into it, but it is so much fun for me:)
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Tried it this past week (outdoors in ridiculous heat) for the first time with two co-workers and liked it a lot. It was fun. It was the only time I can think of when I found myself smiling during exercise. Worked up a great sweat, and was happy to get in some cardio beyond walking (which is what I normally do). I'll definitely be going back (even though I'm sure I looked like an idiot).
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I don't like it either! BORING!!!!!! But its just my opinion.

My old Zumba teacher was a really good looking guy from Brazil. The opposite of boring.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think Zumba is fun because I like to dance, and it's a great way to get your hips and back loosened up - but I feel like I get a better cardio workout going for a run. But if you don't enjoy dancing then I can't imagine you'd like Zumba.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I love it (especially the live classes) because I love dancing and don't really get a chance to do it anymore. This way, twice a week I get to go with friends, dance like crazy, burn a bunch of calories, and it makes me feel great. I love it because it's fun and effective.
  • amblee125
    amblee125 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I agree.

And also, not to sound sexist but my favorite Zumba instructors have been men as well. They really work you hard!

Yep I sooo agree! The other two classes I took were females. I also like how he uses a lot of popular songs remixed and does zumba moves with them. And after every class I have sweat in my eyes and in my mouth! lol. I really need to get some head/sweat bands!
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I personally love Zumba. When i first joined the gym i just did the machines i.e (treadmill, bike, eliptical). But i would always go past and hear the music and they all looked like they were having fun, so one day i decided to take a class. I was nervous at first too because i felt i wasnt going to be able to do the class and not be coordinated enough to get the steps. Well let me tell you since i took the first class thats all i love to do. I have tried spining, step, and other cardio classes, but Zumba to me does not feel like a workout. And because i dont go out to clubs or anything like that it feels like a club experience especially after a long day at work its so fun to dance away my day!! But it does also depend on the instructor, you have those who are really energetic and push you, or you have those that their classes are a really low intensity and i dont feel like i burned as many calories. I do also have zumba for the Wii and because i am heavier i burn over 1000 calories when i do it on the Wii, and thats for like a 55 min or longer class. So it is possible to burn that many colories in an hour if you are a heavier person. But to each its own if you dont like it you dont have to do it, but if you love to dance and have fun its worth a shot especially if you have a good instructor.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. I have tried it a few times. It's alright I guess, but I really can't get into it. I see all these posts about how great it is. I just don't see it.

I keep being told I should come to class. I just keep on brushing them off. I would rather try to build muscle or go for a run if I am doing cardio.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it at all?

I so get it :-) i got it for wii and feel totally spastic. but it is an alternative to running and does get my heart rate up, so i try and keep it up once a week. i usually enjoy burlesque or bellydance videos much more... they don't move as fast and actually seem coherent :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba-How-We-Feel-How-We-Look.jpg

I love that pic. It's probably true, but luckily all I know is how I feel.
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I love the Exhilarate DVD set, and there are enough workouts to change it up so it doesn't get too repetitive. But repetition is expected with workout DVDs and most cardio classes, so idk. I danced for 18 years (tap, ballet, jazz, modern) so anything involving dance piques my interest. It isn't for everyone!
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. I have tried it a few times. It's alright I guess, but I really can't get into it. I see all these posts about how great it is. I just don't see it.

I keep being told I should come to class. I just keep on brushing them off. I would rather try to build muscle or go for a run if I am doing cardio.

I agree, way overrated. They claim that you shed 1000 cals in one class.... LIES!!! The average person will lose approx 400-500 depending on how much effort they put into it. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I agree, way overrated. They claim that you shed 1000 cals in one class.... LIES!!! The average person will lose approx 400-500 depending on how much effort they put into it. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Go educate yourself! It depends on a lot of factors. And from what I've noticed in Zumba, there is no "average" body type.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Why do some people love Crossfit? Who do some people run marathons? Why do some people love yoga? lol it's a matter a preference. End of story.