Why does everyone love Zumba so much?

Options

Replies

• melitsace
    melitsace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba for many reasons. One is, it was what actually got me going to the gym and keeping me there. It increased my confidence, self esteem and it is just plain fun. I can burn 800 calories in 50 minutes and would rather do that than run! Zumba has so many different variety of classes ....like Zumba Tone and Sentao ....that can help with more muscle building but even just plain regular land Zumba sculpts and tones like no ones business. Zumba gave me the confidence to become an instructor and to even instruct in other calories. I understand it isn't for everyone but it is so much fun for me and has done so much for me, I HAVE to love it : )
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Zumba-How-We-Feel-How-We-Look.jpg

Oh man, this cracked me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I just don't get it. I have tried it a few times. It's alright I guess, but I really can't get into it. I see all these posts about how great it is. I just don't see it.

I keep being told I should come to class. I just keep on brushing them off. I would rather try to build muscle or go for a run if I am doing cardio.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it at all?

I'd rather run. Or do some interval training (tabata is my new favorite). Or punch a bag. Or push bamboo under my fingernails. Or just about anything other than Zumba.

I have been doing tabatas for about a month and a half now. It's my new favourite.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the instructor. I have been to a couple that were not good at all and others that were awesome. But it's the same as any workout-- you have to find one you like and will stick to. It's not for everyone.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    :D I haven't tried it. I'm not a coordinated person.
  • mhouston2011
    mhouston2011 Posts: 155
    Options
    That's why there are so many options out there...just find what you feel comfortable with and do that. If you are uncoordinated, then I'd definitely stay away from step aerobics, could land you in the E.R. ..lol
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm not "into" Zumba either and people don't understand why. Sorry but anything like that is just not my "thing". Give me a good swim, a long cycle ride, a good walk in the hills, a good game of tennis - any of those appeal to me. If it's wet/cold/dark, then I have kettlebells at home and my son and I shared the cost of a decent rowing machine, so I have plenty to do without making an *kitten* of myself in a Zumba class.

For those who like it, fine - enjoy yourselves and get fit - but please don't look at those of us who aren't keen as if we were from another planet!

Ahhhh, tennis! Now you are speaking my language! I just started this summer and I am liking it a lot :)

I've played tennis since I was 10 - nearly 50 years now (God, is it THAT long?) and just love any racket sports (not squash these days - too fast for me, but yes to Badminton). If you play properly, i.e. run round the court to get your shots, then you get a decent workout, have fun and maybe win the odd match or two. What stops me now is back and foot injuries, meaning I can't run much and I can't serve properly, hence I now stick to things like swimming and cycling (both of which I have done since early childhood). Damn osteoarthritis - wish I didn't have it but I soldier on...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's just a trend. I tried it like 5 years ago and didn't click with it.

I think part of the mania is their exaggerated 'calories burned' claims. If I thought I could burn 1000 calories in an hour of mostly dancing, I would be all over that.

A heavy person in a 60 min high energy Zumba class probably could burn around 1000 calories. A thinner more fit person wouldn't.

All you need is one person to burn that many to make a legit claim of "burn up to 1000 calories per hour".
  • It depends on your personality and the energy you put into it. It's definitely my favorite way to burn calories, but I also jog, do BodyJam, and beachbody DVDs. If you enjoy shaking your booty and having fun, then it's a great way to burn a LOT of calories. The more you do it, the better you get which means the more calories you burn. Doing Zumba on a regular basis has actually helped increase my running time because of the endurance level during Zumba. It's all about having fun with whatever exercise you choose.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Zumba-How-We-Feel-How-We-Look.jpg

Oh man, this cracked me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so stealing this for my Zumba crew if you don't care :-)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I love me so Zumba, but for me, my core fitness comes from doing P90X because they combine strength training with different cardio workouts and Yoga and Stretch workouts for flexibility. For me, Zumba is mainly for fun because I love to dance and that's how I can do it.

Later today I will be doing Leg, Back and Abs then going to take a Zumba class! I can't wait = )
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For someone like me who is not a very good dancer I loved Zumba because it made me feel like I could dance! LOL :smile:
  • AmberNicoleSS
    AmberNicoleSS Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I guess I was spoiled by my Jazzercise classes where the instructors really ensure you are doing the moves correctly so you don't hurt yourself. I tried a Zumba class and 1) I couldn't see the instructor because she was on the floor, not in a platform, and 2) she wouldn't call out or demonstrate the moves. I'm in pretty good shape was was used to a dance class, but I felt like I wasn't using correct form for some of the moves and that I could potentially hurt myself. No thanks!

You would probably be happier trying ZUMBA Rush for xbox kinect, wii, etc. I like it better than actual ZUMBA classes. I get it more into it because Im not worried about how I look. The sensors also judge your movements pretty accurately (kinect does, anyway) since your mirroring the instructors movements.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I'm not "into" Zumba either and people don't understand why. Sorry but anything like that is just not my "thing". Give me a good swim, a long cycle ride, a good walk in the hills, a good game of tennis - any of those appeal to me. If it's wet/cold/dark, then I have kettlebells at home and my son and I shared the cost of a decent rowing machine, so I have plenty to do without making an *kitten* of myself in a Zumba class.

For those who like it, fine - enjoy yourselves and get fit - but please don't look at those of us who aren't keen as if we were from another planet!

Ahhhh, tennis! Now you are speaking my language! I just started this summer and I am liking it a lot :)

I've played tennis since I was 10 - nearly 50 years now (God, is it THAT long?) and just love any racket sports (not squash these days - too fast for me, but yes to Badminton). If you play properly, i.e. run round the court to get your shots, then you get a decent workout, have fun and maybe win the odd match or two. What stops me now is back and foot injuries, meaning I can't run much and I can't serve properly, hence I now stick to things like swimming and cycling (both of which I have done since early childhood). Damn osteoarthritis - wish I didn't have it but I soldier on...

Ahahaha, I don't keep score. We hit the net a lot, but I am sure running around! I think I am going to try squash this winter.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It does build muscle and keep you really toned (try to do it 2x/week to see results).

I do it because I sweat a lot.

I do it because I really like my teachers.

I do it because at the end of a long day...it's nice to have some fun (and burn calories all the while)

I do it because it challenges me.
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Zumba!!! I think it is one of the most intense workouts (if you have the right instructor). My sister and I have been to several Zumba classes and we have found 2 great instructors that have us sweating and getting a FULL body work out with and without weights. These instructors are so good at what they do you enjoy yourself, but at the same time get that burn and feeling of going to pass out, but you just can't stop.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Easy!! Everyone loves Latin people and the way they shake their hips. Why not learn how to shake your hips and learn how to be the best lovers like us Latins
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. I have tried it a few times. It's alright I guess, but I really can't get into it. I see all these posts about how great it is. I just don't see it.

I keep being told I should come to class. I just keep on brushing them off. I would rather try to build muscle or go for a run if I am doing cardio.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it at all?

Nope, I'm not a fan either.

But, if it gets some people moving and makes them happy - more power to them!

Oh, for sure, I agree, it's just when I say I don't like it/am not interested, they all look at me like I am an alien, ahahaha.

Oooh, you're doing the classes? Oh no, hell with that -- I do it at home on the Wii so no one can see how stupid I look.

I tried it at the gym and didn't like the fact that people could watch me. I too do it on the wii, and if it is dark outside when I do it, I even close the curtains so nobody can see my silhouette if they are outside walking late or something. I don't even like my husband watching me. But I get sick of it, mostly sick of the same songs and get away from it for a while. It's ok if you don't care for it. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. Do what you like and ignore everybody else. I don't find joy in walking. It makes me miserable. I hate the treadmill with a passion and only like walking outside if I am walking to my destination. If I am walking for exercise (even though I don't walk any faster or different) it makes me miserable. But I live 5 miles from town, so I have no desitination to walk to. Therefore I do not walk. Nobody understands me when I say this, they think I'm nuts. Honestly though I truly hate it. HATE IT!!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    heres why i love zumba. i lost 20 pounds. of course thats great. i have always liked dancing and the dvds were fun. there were 7 dvds when i bought them so the routine was always all over the place for me. i started taking classes about a month ago after gathering up my courage and i have the craziest instructor. she has zumba routines from music all over the music genres and shes goofy and encouraging and i just love her. ive tried 2 other instructors when she was on vacation and didnt like them. with me i do strength training now i used to do zumba every day, but i did start getting bored. i use it to mix it up or if i cant get to the gym the other 5 days a week i do some zumba at home since its 104 in st. louis right now. as long as you find what you like to do, and mix it up, youll be happy. i cant believe people like running. haha.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    :D I haven't tried it. I'm not a coordinated person.

I have a tee shirt that reads: "I do all my own stunts"

I'm a big klutz.

And yet, I love Zumba. Go figure.