The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• vleconte
    vleconte Posts: 6
    Options
    OMG... I heard some crazy things. For me...most people just say "why?" you go to the gym already. Well..I would much rather manage my weight early on knowing im 12 pounds overweight and be proactive knowing im not fitting into most clothes from last summer vs doing nothing and wait for me to get to 25 pounds plus overweight.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    OKay so it really isn't the words people say but HOW they say them...

"Wow you look good"

me: Oh thanks you do too!!

"So what have you been doing??"

Me: Oh i work out 5 to 6 times a week and count calories.. you know

"oh" (weird face that looks me up and down) "really... (awkward silence)

Me: well thanks for noticing, it is hard work but I have really learned to love it!! (change the subject, but still leave feeling judged)
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    So far I've heard just about everything everyone else has posted as far as stupid stuff people say. So someone actually asked me "how it happened", (oddly phrased question) I just tell them the aliens took it. Yeah, I was abducted....it was really scary....no penis/anal probing or anything like that which was nice. They told me their planets citizens have a genetic inability to gain weight. That's why in all the abduction stories the aliens are all really skinny...see this mark (I point to a gash on my stomach I probably dropped a weight on because I'm so clumsy) that's where they took the sample...so they're abducting people now to steal their fat....I got an appointment with 'em next week so they can take another sample....yeah, uh huh.....big article about it on CNN. You should check it out.

Keep in mind, I have no actual real life "friends" who are dumb enough to believe that. But you would be amazed when I'm around people I'm only casually acquainted with....if I keep a straight face (incredibly difficult)....how far into that story I can get before someone stops me...rofl. People truly are looking for a "magic bullett". Even if it's aliens...hehe.
  • 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How this one (diet arent you old you shouldnt have to worry about that ) duh that the hole point:huh:
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    when people say Whoa you look so effin s e x y now i say HMPFf...i was always S e x y.

I realize I am old, but this could have been in Chinese and I would have understood it better.....

HMPFf?

Hold My Phone Freddy's finger?
    Help My Poop Feels funny?
    Heavy Metal People F--kin' footballs?

i too wanna know
  • Savvy904
    Savvy904 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite is when someone asks if I've lost weight and I tell them a little bit, but I'm still going and then they start suggesting what I ought to do. (And I have gotten so many suggestions, including eat more as a strategy to keep metabolism up in a twisted version of the idea of eating smaller portions more frequently.) Well, no. What I'm doing now is working, so why would I change it?

I also get annoyed when people refer to it as a 'diet.' I have never called it a diet and I didn't stop eating the things I love. I just eat them less frequently and/or in smaller portions. One cup of vanilla ice cream instead of a huge bowl of moose tracks. And if I want a movie night with pizza, then I'm going to include salad and I'm probably going to be swimming for two or three hours beforehand. I'm not setting out to do the impossible here.
  • 5kids
    5kids Posts: 3
    Options
    That's a great story!! Glad you made your grandma happy.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    when people say Whoa you look so effin s e x y now i say HMPFf...i was always S e x y.

Exactly
  • Irish_eyes75
    Irish_eyes75 Posts: 475
    Options
    This may be silly, but I hate it when in response to me telling someone how much I've lost they say "Keep it up"
    Um, what if I've lost all l wanted to lose? What if i'm perfectly happy with how I look now??
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The most irritating thing I get is "how much weight have you lost?" Not that it's any of your business but I always say enough but I'm not quite there yet. It's not about how much I've lost it's about how I feel.

Also my best friends husband also tells me I'm so "sexy" now that I've lost weight but I shouldn't loose anymore because there won't be any cushin for the pushin for my husband.... REALLY!!!! He's such a creep.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    My favorite is when someone asks if I've lost weight and I tell them a little bit, but I'm still going and then they start suggesting what I ought to do. (And I have gotten so many suggestions, including eat more as a strategy to keep metabolism up in a twisted version of the idea of eating smaller portions more frequently.) Well, no. What I'm doing now is working, so why would I change it?

I also get annoyed when people refer to it as a 'diet.' I have never called it a diet and I didn't stop eating the things I love. I just eat them less frequently and/or in smaller portions. One cup of vanilla ice cream instead of a huge bowl of moose tracks. And if I want a movie night with pizza, then I'm going to include salad and I'm probably going to be swimming for two or three hours beforehand. I'm not setting out to do the impossible here.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I guess I don't know how to "quote" someone....anyway. I totally agree with this..I have someone at the office who always has to put his 2cents in no matter what you're doing. We're doing it! We're losing the weight, we're successful, we really don't need your advice Mr Nosy Pants!!!

• violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump. I don't have any of these comments yet. Hopefully I will be able to respond soon, but would like to continue reading this thread later. Thanks everyone for sharing.
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I get a lot of people who think I should be capable of things that I am clearly not. Somehow, I am losing weight and feeling better, but they're the foremost expert on what I SHOULD be doing.

When it was cold out and I was using the treadmill, my friend said, "yeah, why don't you just crank it up to 8 MPH and bang it out?" Umm... because I don't need to face plant on the dumb machine because I am trying to do something I am not capable of. I was lucky if I could get through my intervals at 6 MPH, but let me just take your advice, I am sure my legs and lungs will magically improve in strength just because you think your way is better!

Another gal who is on my husband's co-ed soccer team asked me what I was doing for exercise. I mentioned my FitBit, my 45-60 minutes of trail walking/running and that I was trying out the 30 Day Shred on a dare. She rolled her eyes and said, "I tried the 30 Day Shred and it did NOTHING. I have lost 8 pounds going to the gym an hour a day and playing soccer once a week." OK, thats your way, I've lost 20 doing it this way.... I don't play soccer and I don't belong to a gym, so maybe your plan won't fit my lifestyle.

And then my favorite of all... when someone critiqued my dietitian designed food plan. I'm not complaining about my diet, but you don't like it? Let me give that all the consideration it deserves.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Why the complains about what people say?
    They notice your progress.
    Just be glad they did not say what they were thinking before the weight loss.
    Be VERY glad :drinker:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I think one of the things I'm not prepared for is getting attention from people who would never have looked twice at my heavy self.
    this,

It ticks me off.
    Why would this anger anybody?
    Attraction is just nature's expression of the pro-creative instinct.
    Of course you'll get more attention the more weight you lose.
    That is to be expected.
    Welcome to the human race.:drinker:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I went in to work BEAMING that having a good few lb, I could fit in to smaller work trousers, a friend was like "oh, well you probably just went to the toilet"

1) People go to the "toilet" every day and don't drop a trouser size overnight!
    2) How big are her "toilets"? :laugh:
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    Why the complains about what people say?
    They notice your progress.
    Just be glad they did not say what they were thinking before the weight loss.
    Be VERY glad :drinker:

Because of the level of condescension that comes along with the commentary provided by others. They don't really need to say what they thought about us before we lost weight, because the attitude and tone of their comments makes it clear that they've waited AGES to tell us what they really thought of us. When you've lost weight, it becomes open season on your former self. When you haven't lost enough weight to believe you're changing for good, those demeaning comments about your former self cut deep. Once they realize that you've recognized that you're overweight (because they assume you're entirely unaware of your size), then they really want to make it known that they've already thought at great length about EXACTLY the plan you should follow to get to the size they deem appropriate.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about getting noticed is that you don't expect it. I am so naive because I have been heavy all my life and now I get looked at...it's an adjustment!
  • ShannonGo
    Options
    When I went in to work BEAMING that having a good few lb, I could fit in to smaller work trousers, a friend was like "oh, well you probably just went to the toilet"

1) People go to the "toilet" every day and don't drop a trouser size overnight!
    2) How big are her "toilets"? :laugh:

I think she should see her doctor about the fact that she can drop a pants size by visiting the restroom... Yikes. She should probably try to be more regular! :laugh: