The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    "You're so lucky that you're in such great shape." No, I'm not lucky. Hitting the lottery is lucky. I have worked HARD to get in shape, and at my age (pushing 50), it's way harder than it ever was. I've never worked this hard in my life. But I'm doing it anyway because it's worth it.

This. No matter the age, being in shape is RARELY lucky. My 60 and 70 year old karate senseis will forever be able to kick my butt. I can't even manage to jog a full mile without stopping once, or do a full split and touch my head to the floor. When I saw my sensei do that, I was so in awe. XD
  • ChelseaGoneAwry
    ChelseaGoneAwry Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The most irritating comment is "You don't have any weight to lose in the first place!"

Well, if that were the case I wouldn't have lost 6 pounds in the past month and a half, now would I?
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    When I decided to finally stick to it and started dropping a lot of weight, my aunt who is also overweight would constantly ask me what kind of drugs I was taking to help me lose weight (and still asks me til this day). I can see her disbelief though up until 2 years ago I threw up at the thought of eating veggies (hated the taste and texture of almost all veggies), and fattening food was my life. After I dropped my first 30 - 40 lbs I woke up one day with a sudden craving for veggies and began eating all veggies in sight lol

Ah, the drug of good health and ambition. I like that drug too. Gets me all high. :drinker:
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I work in an office of all skinny people, they always want to know what diet i am trying - well first up until February of this year I was even trying any diet. second -I am on the HF&E diet (health food and exercise diet) so many fad diets out there they never know the difference.
  • MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with someone saying "you used to be so big"?

If you felt the need to lose weight, then apparently you were overweight. You made the realization ,why can't they?
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    when people say Whoa you look so effin s e x y now i say HMPFf...i was always S e x y.

FIZZGIGG!!that's my dogs name lol I love your pic...freaking awesome

YAAAAAAAAY
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My Dad has a great line to use when people ask questions you don't want to answer...
    "And why do you think you need to know that?"
    or.. "What do you plan to do with this information if you get it?"

I haven't had the nerve to use it, but I admire that he does!
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    when I lost 50 lbs 2 years ago a friend of mine asked if I was anorexic?.
    at 5'6 and 145 lbs
    really?
  • TallyGal97
    TallyGal97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "So how are you losing weight? What's the secret?" :love:

"Well... I eat better and I exercise." :indifferent:

"Hahahaha!!! No, really, what diet are you on? " :laugh:

...I wanted to flipdesk right there... :noway:

The other one: "Well, if I starved myself like you, I'd be skinny too."

...I can't help it if I get full off of not that much food. I also eat EVERY FREAKING THREE HOURS. I'm also not skinny. I can't help it if I live in a town where most of the people are obese, and I eat berries when other people are downing three helpings of pulled pork. =.=

...although I still love pulled pork...

We must live in the same town!! :laugh:
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Moxiecowgirl said:
    . . . But I'd rather experience a full, active life than repeat the feel of biting into a chocolate cake. I KNOW what that's like...I want new experiences!

Thank you, moxiecowgirl-- you just talked me out of giving in to that chocolate chunk cookie that's been calling to me all afternoon! :)
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    One of my "friends" at the gym- "Oh I didn't recognize you from behind" ...um...thanks :ohwell:
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bump...have read a couple want to read more.

No one has said much to me really lol. My mom says "well what you are doing seems to be working." The words "SEEMS" is what made me a bit annoys. No mom..it doesn't SEEM to be...it IS.
  • QuietImperfections
    QuietImperfections Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ah, the drug of good health and ambition. I like that drug too. Gets me all high. :drinker:

Lol this ^^^
  • cmpollard01
    cmpollard01 Posts: 246
    Options
    Thankfully, I haven't had too many people say crazy things since I started losing. I do have a coworker that has expressed that she's "so happy for me to be meeting my goals" but at the same time "hates that I'm getting so skinny and fabulous looking." Grr...

The worst thing that was ever said was what kicked my brain into "get this weight off NOW" mode-a nurse practitioner at my doc's office looked at me and asked if I had ever considered lap band surgery. Umm...have you ever considered what my foot upside your head would be like?! But in a way, I thank her for those words-I use them as motivation whenever I feel frustrated!

Some people really need a filter...
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    everyone says that i look amazing and ask how did i manage to lose so much?? i reply that i started to exercise and watch every calorie that goes in my mouth....then they look horrifed and say..."oh i could never do that".....i think to myself....so, don't!!!.....

now my dad is worried about me tho and says that i'm getting too thin and that if i'm not careful i'm going to get anorexia......i assure him that there is no worry about that....seems i can't win tho because before i started MFP.....when i would visit he would take a look at me and say....mmmm....putting weight on again are we?????/lol......go figure!!!!!
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't like people asking me:

-"When are you going to stop? you look good as u are".... I look good cuz I have been dedicated to working out/eating healthy

Ooh, ooh, I get this. My conversation goes like this, though:

Them: When are you gonna quit losing weight?
    Me: When I get back to my birth weight - 6 pounds, 11 ounces.
    Them: Hhmmph. Well, I think you've lost enough.
    Me: Hhmmph. That's because you haven't seen me nekkid (I know it's "naked." I'm from the south)
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've lost alot of weight and the one thing that bugs me that alot of people say is "wow you look like a new person" or " I don't even recognize you".
    This bugs me because I am still the SAME person I was....just smaller. I fight all the time to defend the girl I was before because people now think they can say things like "you were so unhealthy I was worried about you". Now they can say it to my face but couldn't before?
    But you wouldn't believe what I have heard from people...it's so bizzare. Oh well it's not about them is it.
    I think the not recognizing you is so true, when are very big and I dont mean you personally, your face will look totally different to what it does when you can actually see the features of a face. I watched a tv program about a 43 stone man and you would never have known it was the shame man , when he lost the weight.
  • hbdub7
    hbdub7 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I lost 50lbs my boyfriends family was gushing over it, making me stand up and twirl you know the embarassing stuff...THEN his grandpa said "WOW SHE MUST HAVE BEEN A BIG GIRL"...really!!!!:huh:
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    everyone says that i look amazing and ask how did i manage to lose so much?? i reply that i started to exercise and watch every calorie that goes in my mouth....then they look horrifed and say..."oh i could never do that".....i think to myself....so, don't!!!.....

now my dad is worried about me tho and says that i'm getting too thin and that if i'm not careful i'm going to get anorexia......i assure him that there is no worry about that....seems i can't win tho because before i started MFP.....when i would visit he would take a look at me and say....mmmm....putting weight on again are we?????/lol......go figure!!!!!
    lol this is what I get too, put it on your getting fat, take it off your starving, er not i eat way to much to starve lol.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I've had several people in my office ask me, "Geez how much more are you trying to lose!?" When I tell them they then act shocked like I shouldn't lose that much more. I'm basing my answer off of what I weighed when I was on swim team and in the best shape of my life! So I know it's a good goal weight :)