The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I did plan to have surgery, and I'm on a pre-op diet that's going so well that I may not qualify by the time my surgery date rolls around. I'm usually a super open person who doesn't mind answering questions honestly, as long as the person asking doesn't make me feel like a freak show.

I'll tell you the ones that get to me, though:

(Not a question, but a comment) "I don't see why you think you need to lose so much. You're not fat." Bless your heart...I DO own a mirror. I'm just fat, not blind or stupid.

"How much weight do you want to lose?" and when I tell them "oh...are you sure? That's going to be way too much. I think you should aim for (insert arbitrary number here)." Yeah, I don't remember your occupying a seat in the surgeon's office when we set my weight goals. Trust me, I've done my research. I know what a healthy weight is for me.

"Oh, that surgery will never work. My hamster's cousin's uncle's best friend's neighbor had that, and now she weighs 8 million pounds and needs a crane to use the bathroom. Have you tried (insert fad diet of the moment here)?" Why yes...yes I have. A few times. And guess what? It didn't work for me.

"Aren't you afraid you're going to die?" Well yes, as a matter of fact I am. That's why I'm doing something about my weight. I'd rather die knowing I made an attempt than die even more quickly from a preventable illness. P.S. We all die from SOMETHING...I just prefer that my weight not be that something.

And my favorite:

"Isn't it haaaaaaard (they always draw it out like that) switching your diet all up like that?" Yup, you bet it is. It's even harder lugging my extra-wide butt around, and watching my loved ones enjoy things I know I can't do. I promise you, I'm not likely to expire from the effort of eating better. Maybe you should try it, too.

Oh wait...one more...

"Don't you miss chocolate cake/ice cream/double cheeseburgers with extra lard and mayo?" Well, not until you said THAT! (except the double cheeseburger...I hate cheeseburgers and always have) But I'd rather experience a full, active life than repeat the feel of biting into a chocolate cake. I KNOW what that's like...I want new experiences!
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    When people tell me, "You don't look like yourself." Just because I've been heavy my whole life. -.-
  • karolineoberhaus
    karolineoberhaus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh - what great feedback! I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who hears unbelievable things come out of other people's mouths! I can relate to every single one of these replies because I have heard them all myself! Thank you all so much for sharing!

I will continue to let you know if I hear another dinger! :)
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    "I liked you better when you were fatter than me." -very good friend

Um... Thanks? If our friendship hinges on that, I think we should see other people.
  • MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So instead of being condescending or taking it as an insult, as it seems many people do, why not let these people know what changes you have made to get where you are, so they can too. Because that's usually the reason people ask. This whole site is about everyone helping everyone get more fit, so why is everyone so against that same camaraderie in the real world?
  • karolineoberhaus
    karolineoberhaus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    me too!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the OP and moxiecowgirl, heck all the posters on this thread. Moxie, I got a few chuckles out of yours, love your dry humor, got a few chuckles out of it. Not because being overweight is funny, but your responses were so right-on and they are things I would LOVE to say to those who are rude in their comments to me about my weight.

I do try to remember that MOST people have good intentions and just want to acknowledge my efforts, but sometimes what comes out of their mouths is blatantly rude. Sounds like lots of people in our shoes (losing weight) get these comments and it is interesting to see the ones that are flying around out there--those I've heard and those I may need to prepare a response for...
  • BChamp1226
    BChamp1226 Posts: 26
    Options
    There's a couple questions I avoid like the plague - this one, and "when are you expecting." Years ago I told a friend he looked great after he had dropped several pounds. Unfortunately, it wasn't intentional. I've avoided discussing weight ever since - unless somebody brings it up to me.
  • Onmyway20
    Onmyway20 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    While pregnant, I would gain almost all the recommended weight in the first trimester. (my mother did the same thing). And then I stayed the same pretty much the rest of the pregnancy. This happened three times. Also it all came off in two months more or less and I did breast feed. I would caution against restrictive weight gain or focusing on numbers while pregnant because every body is different. The result you want is a healthy mother and healthy baby before, during and after pregnancy. Sometimes current medical research doesn't take all body types into account. Nothing makes me more mad than people trying to only gain just a little for pregnancies or not breast feeding because they don't want to eat what nursing requires, which by the way is more than when a mother is pregnant. I applaud everyone in this blog for doing so well and being realistic. This has been the best community of support I have seen yet.
  • maryluna52
    maryluna52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you gained weight???? Yes, because some people are very jealous, how sad!!! So I answered: No, actually I lost weight, and I feel great!!! You seem to be the only one who has not noticed it!! hahahaha
  • Elle_45
    Elle_45 Posts: 43
    Options
    My favorite is........

"how are things with your new diet?

"going well, I have lost 3.9lbs in two weeks"

"Oh! That's just water"

Really? I have been on a diuretic since I was 21 years old and weighed 135lbs. I don't think so but if it is, I'm happy it's gone and hope more goes with it. lol
  • weldergirl15
    weldergirl15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The best backhanded compliment I ever got has to be...Hey r u losing weight your *kitten* looks narrower!! I mean really you couldn't have chosen something a little nicer to say a-hole!!
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    people say this to me too and I hate it. It is a lifestyle change and I plan on sticking with it. I eat mostly what I want but watch the portion sizes.

People should think before they speak!

"When are you going to stop?"

Seriously...why would I stop?
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    "Right here ... right now ... you and me."
  • Djrudyg
    Djrudyg Posts: 1
    Options
    People have asked me if I was sick, others have told me not to lose so much weight, and some people tell me that they can't picture me being over-weight!!!!! All I did was download the "myfitnesspal" app and I learned how to control my portions. I then started running and exercising. I have lost over 45 pounds in about 4 months
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Years ago I lost 60 lbs and I saw a friend I hadn't seen since before I started losing... the first thing out of her mouth was, "Holy *kitten*, you must have had to buy all new bras!"

:noway:

:laugh:
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Most everyone has been very supportive. But, back in 2004, I had lost about 80 pounds (before I was put on medication and gained a million pounds while pregnant). My sister-in-law, who was about 11-12 years old at the time tells me, "Dad (aka my father-in-law) doesn't hate you so much now since you aren't fat anymore." I told her that she could go back and tell him to hate me just as much because I am still the same person I have always been.

There are 4 kids in my husband's family. I married my husband in 2002. His younger brother married his first wife in 2003. Both brides were on the heavier side. My husband's next oldest sibling (sister) got engaged and my father-in-law was not happy. Younger sister-in-law informs us again that "Dad says that it looks like all his kids are gonna end up marrying fat people."

Yep, he is a jerk. I do have a hard time making myself take my son over there to visit. Don't want him to end up being a jerk too!
  • susi819
    susi819 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My absolute pet peeve:

"Wow, you are loosing weight, that is great! because you were sooo fat"

Ahhhh, it makes me want to scream at that moment!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    "I liked you better when you were fatter than me." -very good friend

Um... Thanks? If our friendship hinges on that, I think we should see other people.

Ouch. People are stupid.
  • ENCORRALES21
    ENCORRALES21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You know I hate it when they do thist to me a I have one person always asking "so hows the weight loss going?" Then i get all confused because i think i'm loosing it but if your asking i guess its not showing.