The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    I don't like people asking me:

-"When are you going to stop? you look good as u are".... I look good cuz I have been dedicated to working out/eating healthy
  • autovigilante
    Options
    "Wow! You must have been really big!" ...um...yeah, thanks
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I work weekends in a large company so you don't always see everyone you know every weekend - but every weekend I get people saying the exact same things:

"I bet you feel better now"
    "you must be noticing a difference"
    "wow missus I never realised how short you are, you seem to be shrinking"

I get wolf whistles at work too (every weekend) and people asking me all the time how much I have lost now and how I have done it.

I know that people are happy for me and want to share my success and say something positive but it's not that there is a defined ettiquette for it so people say it a bit awkwardly but the thought is there so I just smile and take it for the compliment that's meant - but it does make me smile that its the same phrases that people use all the time.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I cant get over how JEALOUS ppl get! Women and men!!! Gosh, be happy for someone! Yea, co-workers for me are the worst. They say the most terrible things sometimes. Tired of being called "skinny", or "hey you're gonna waste away".....pahleeeeese. I told one older woman here "I'll stop when I look good naked!" LOL She shut up right there LOL!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This week a work colleague congratulated me on my weight loss and told me I had a really nice neck :indifferent:
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ...The craziest thing said to me was, after I had lost 25 lbs, three people came up to me on the same day and said, "Did you get a haircut?"

I was asked the same thing, twice in one day by two different people. (The answer was, "No.") I guess they noticed a change, but they couldn't quite put their fingers on it. Silly people. :smile:
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The most frequent (and also the most frustrating) thing that people ask is, "What kind of diet are you on?" Well, umm, I'm not on a diet. I just started making better choices and getting some exercise. Apparently, that just doesn't compute for most people. Most will continue with, "Well, are you eating low carbs or low fat or what?" I eat what I was eating. I just eat less of it. And, I do sorta watch my sugar intake. Most folks don't want to hear that you're just eating less and exercising. They're looking for a magic bullet that doesn't involve much sacrifice.

/\/\/\/\

This!

Some people just don't understand the basic concept of calories in vs. calories burned. As you said, everyone wants that magic bullet.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    when ].
    eople say Whoa you look so effin s e x y now i say HMPFf...i was always S e x y.
    [/qutoe)FIZZGIGG!!that's my dogs name lol I love your pic...breaking awesome
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    when people say Whoa you look so effin s e x y now i say HMPFf...i was always S e x y.
    [/qutoe]

FIZZGIGG!!that's my dogs name lol I love your pic...freaking awesome
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    "Wow, how skinny are you trying to get??" I'm not trying to get skinny, I'm trying to get fit. Idiots.

I get this whenever I am foolish enough to mention working out, "Oh you don't want to lose anymore weight" That's right I don't, I want to get some muscle definition and shrink my belly!
  • vm1043
    vm1043 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My favorite is " Wow you lost so much weight...I mean I'm not saying you were big in the first place but you've lost a lot of weight"

lol
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed by your accomplishments. Also, people ask me what I do and I just tell them, good old fashioned hard work, I work out 6 days a week and count every morsel that goes in my mouth. If they proclaim that's too much work, I just say, well it's the only way that has worked for me so I'm going to keep on doing it.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    MikeDaMotivator Posts: 1,144
    Options
    I am in the middle of losing a lot of weight that I have carried all my life. It's noticeable. Most people say something along the lines of, "Wow, you look great!" which is a wonderful boost for me. Plus it has the added benefit of allowing me to either say "thank you" and move on, or to open up a discussion about it if I so choose.

It's amazing to me what some people have said to me though! Many people will come up to me in the hall at work, and instead of saying "hi" will say, "So how much weight have you lost?" I am not comfortable giving my number out to everyone, because I still have a long way to go, and frankly, it's still embarrassing to me that I had so much to lose in the first place. I had one person who could not let it go (and this was someone I can NOT stand under the best of circumstances!). When he asked how much I had lost, I just replied "a lot." He kept on asking "so how much is a lot?" Seriously! Why does it matter!?

When I first started losing weight, people would ask me if I was losing weight. I learned to answer, "Yes, I am certainly trying to!" because if I just said "yes" it was following with something like "have you been sick?"

Many people want to know what I am doing. I have started making stuff up, because no one believes that I could just change my eating habits and exercise routine and have any success. I told someone once that I had been hypnotized. Haha!

My favorite is the woman who said "I didn't know you had weight loss surgery!" Yeah...I didn't. How uncomfortable.

What is the craziest thing that someone has said to you while you were losing weight?

I just spread my own rumors and would love to hear them get back to me. I would tell people i had an internal flesh eating disease. That was my favorite. That flesh eating disease was called excercise but non of them knew until I reached my goal that is when I told the truth about how I lost it. When you start rumors like that people were to affraid to ask about it.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    MikeDaMotivator Posts: 1,144
    Options
    I am in the middle of losing a lot of weight that I have carried all my life. It's noticeable. Most people say something along the lines of, "Wow, you look great!" which is a wonderful boost for me. Plus it has the added benefit of allowing me to either say "thank you" and move on, or to open up a discussion about it if I so choose.

It's amazing to me what some people have said to me though! Many people will come up to me in the hall at work, and instead of saying "hi" will say, "So how much weight have you lost?" I am not comfortable giving my number out to everyone, because I still have a long way to go, and frankly, it's still embarrassing to me that I had so much to lose in the first place. I had one person who could not let it go (and this was someone I can NOT stand under the best of circumstances!). When he asked how much I had lost, I just replied "a lot." He kept on asking "so how much is a lot?" Seriously! Why does it matter!?

When I first started losing weight, people would ask me if I was losing weight. I learned to answer, "Yes, I am certainly trying to!" because if I just said "yes" it was following with something like "have you been sick?"

Many people want to know what I am doing. I have started making stuff up, because no one believes that I could just change my eating habits and exercise routine and have any success. I told someone once that I had been hypnotized. Haha!

My favorite is the woman who said "I didn't know you had weight loss surgery!" Yeah...I didn't. How uncomfortable.

What is the craziest thing that someone has said to you while you were losing weight?

Another one was that I was smoking crack.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    everything people say to me i take it as a compliment, either rude or not (thank God i havent gotten any rude comment .. yet), means im doing good and ppl notice im not fat anymore.
    So its motivating to me.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    "So how are you losing weight? What's the secret?" :love:

"Well... I eat better and I exercise." :indifferent:

"Hahahaha!!! No, really, what diet are you on? " :laugh:

...I wanted to flipdesk right there... :noway:

The other one: "Well, if I starved myself like you, I'd be skinny too."

...I can't help it if I get full off of not that much food. I also eat EVERY FREAKING THREE HOURS. I'm also not skinny. I can't help it if I live in a town where most of the people are obese, and I eat berries when other people are downing three helpings of pulled pork. =.=

...although I still love pulled pork...
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My mom thinks I'm turning anorexic by skipping 1 or 2 meals -.- I get a lot of negativity from my family and noone else notices right now because I buy my clothes bigger than me anyways...and I really haven't lost much yet...
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I get "You're getting too skinny!". This from friends who are in an unhealthy BMI and body fat % range. Yet I am now within a completely healthy BMI and body fat % range (no desire to lose more weight; perfectly happy at a size 6) and I get hassled. I never ever in a thousand years would point out the opposite to them. How rude and obnoxious would that be?! I respect them for exactly where they are 'cause that's where they are and seemingly happy there. I'm just learning to shrug it off knowing I feel awesome in my body.

OK. While we're on pet peeves, I also hate the "You're so lucky that you're in such great shape." No, I'm not lucky. Hitting the lottery is lucky. I have worked HARD to get in shape, and at my age (pushing 50), it's way harder than it ever was. I've never worked this hard in my life. But I'm doing it anyway because it's worth it.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I politely tell my mom to give me less pasta "What are you... on a DIET?" with the worst emphasis on "diet" that I've ever heard. Um no.. unlike a diet, which is a fad and isn't meant to last, this is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. :D

Or my friend "I'm worried about you"... or are you worried because you realize that my healthy eating makes you look bad?...

People are super annoying!
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My favorite one happened last week. "I'm gonna stop eating and chain your bike to the fence because your making us all look fat." I took it as a back handed compliment.