Getting To The Gym!

Options
13»

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4am and go while everyone is still asleep. Kids aren't awake, so he doesn't need to be awake to watch them. Problem solved.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4am and go while everyone is still asleep. Kids aren't awake, so he doesn't need to be awake to watch them. Problem solved.

I'm childless, but this was also going to be my suggestion. Additionally, it's probably the most peaceful time to go and it's out of the way for the day.

Not to sound too 'tough love' but I feel like you are blaming someone else for your slack on going to the gym. Where there's a will, there's a way. If you want it, you have to work for it. Blah blah blah more motivational slogans...

My husband is absolutely opposite, if I dropped some cash on something, I'd better be using it or else I would never hear the end of it.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    all those who are quote upon quote upon quote- please stop- its unproductive and we are just scrolling past it all anyway.

I like LadyBugs idea- work out when they are all asleep- that may be a solution, would require some discipline from you to get to bed earlier, but at least your membership fees wouldn't be wasted.

I also agree we aren't here to give relationship advice, or parenting advice- never a good idea since we don't wear that pair of shoes :)
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

I'm childless, but this was also going to be my suggestion. Additionally, it's probably the most peaceful time to go and it's out of the way for the day.

Not to sound too 'tough love' but I feel like you are blaming someone else for your slack on going to the gym. Where there's a will, there's a way. If you want it, you have to work for it. Blah blah blah more motivational slogans...
    Agreed. There is only a handful of people there at this time. Takes a lot of discipline to get my butt out of bed, but if I want to get it done then this is how it's got to be. No excuses, just get it done.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

My husband is absolutely opposite, if I dropped some cash on something, I'd better be using it or else I would never hear the end of it.

Seriously? She is 18 and talking about her husband, pushing what are very likely babies into a room and ignoring them for the time it takes her to go to the gym, work out, and come home, because he can't be bothered. So you answer is to blame her for slacking? And in response to another post ^^ up there somewhere. It is not "babysitting" when they are HIS children, it's called being a dad!
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Seriously? She is 18 and talking about her husband, pushing what are very likely babies into a room and ignoring them for the time it takes her to go to the gym, work out, and come home, because he can't be bothered. So you answer is to blame her for slacking? And in response to another post ^^ up there somewhere. It is not "babysitting" when they are HIS children, it's called being a dad!

She didn't say husband. She said "partner." If he isn't man enough to put a ring on it after 2 kids, don't expect him to grow some and become a "dad".
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    leave your husband and find someone who isn't an *kitten*?
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

She didn't say husband. She said "partner." If he isn't man enough to put a ring on it after 2 kids, don't expect him to grow some and become a "dad".

Ok, I mispoke by saying husband... mea culpa. I don't disagree with what you said right here. My point was don't blame her for "slacking" or making excuses when she actually does have a problem. She can fix it in a multitude of ways, but she is needs to face the fact that she has an unsupportive spouse. BTW there are plenty of men that are not married to their children's mothers that are good fathers who either coparent or raise their children alone. I personally find the idea of a man being unable to care for his own children by himself for a couple hours ridiculous. (Unless there are extenuating circumstances of course)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

That's sort of funny. I wasn't married to my sons mother, after 'two kids'. Guess that makes me something less than a 'dad'.

Oh, wait...that's right, I fought for, and won sole custody of them both, when I could have just as easily gave them to their mother and went along my merry way.

Needless to say, your logic is a bit flawed...although I do agree with the conclusion that the guys worthless. The thing is, Mama's 100% correct, it's not HER fault he's a controlling asshat...other than for the fact that she hasn't done anything about it for whatever reason. What I find sad is if she'd actually ASKED for relationship advice, everyone would be giving her sympathy and telling her to leave the jerk, rather than saying it's her own fault she isn't going to the gym lol.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I personally find the idea of a man being unable to care for his own children by himself for a couple hours ridiculous.

This. ANY Dad (barring those with medical or diagnosed emotional issues)...that can't care for his OWN KIDS for ANY amount of time (meaning even weeks or years or their whole effing lives)...doesn't deserve to be called a Dad.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    sell the membership to someone else (get it cleared by gym first) or hold off on the *lovin* until he decides to watch the kids.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    $65 a month is a rediculous amount of money for a gym w/out childcare. Find a gym with child care or enlist the teenager down the road to keep the kids for an hour.
  • disneydreamer61605
    Options
    sounds like you need a new man!
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Ok so back in March I joined a gym. I joined only after my partner agreed that he'd look after the kids and let me go at least 1-2 times week (even though I'd prefer every 2nd day). This went okay for about a month, then he started to refuse to let me go.

Now it's months later, and we're paying $65/month for NOTHING. I am so irritated. I will even get into my workout clothes, pack my gym bag, get the kids fed, settled ect so they're easy to look after... and I'm still not allowed to go.

Anyone else have this happen and have advice?

I think your Partner is scared of you leaving/ other blokes finding you hot. As he has seen the differance a month of gym work has done. I swop child care with a friend/family to go to the gym.
    You could ask some friends if they want to do exercices with a buggy. In the uk there are groups here is the website http://www.buggyfit.co.uk/ or google.
    I do think he is being unfare to you & i hope it can be sorted.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    All this advice and I don't see a reply from the OP. Hope her partner isn't as bad as he sounds and it has just come across worse as sometimes it's hard to translate feelings over the net and with the written word. I used to work out at home to fitness DVD's when I couldn't afford the gym/couldn't get childcare. It's quite easy and cheap to exercise at home with just a few bits of kit (dumb bells, skipping rope , kettle bell) Hope your situation improves OP. Been there, wouldn't go back in a million years. Sad times ;-( Good luck xx
  • RunDottyRun
    Options
    Guys, I wasn't asking for relationship advice. I was asking for help on how to get to the gym.

As for my membership fees, I cannot "get out" of my contract. I either have the pay the months remaining at once if I cancel, or leave it as it is and pay the $65 a month until it ends. So keeping my membership active is the cheapest route. Also, this is the cheapest gym in town.

I was always going to the gym just after the kids went to bed, but at 3 and 1, they don't stay in bed asleep for very long!

Thank you for the advice to go early in the morning... Usually my partner gets home from 12hr shifts at 4.30am, or is leaving at 4.30am, so I'll see if I can make that work sometimes. Just gonna be so hard to get up, not much of a morning person & I'd be worried about being tired all day... but gotta do what ya gotta do!

As for family/friends to babysit I don't have any within driving distance, but thanks for that advice anyway! :)
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes you may be tired, but not for long, any good habit like exercise is going to refresh you and give you more than the grueling idea of getting up early.
    Have you been able to find any resolutions?