How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
1235»

Replies

• 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    once a day morning but i dont let it distract from what im doing gives me that pos atitude for the day
  • ssohni
    ssohni Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and am prepared for the occasional bumps. Had a two pound gain over a couple of days but that only inspired me to workout a little more or a little harder. It worked.
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    Once every wednesday morning and sometimes I cheat on thursday morning to make sure it wasnt a false report.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself. I do not own a scale, haven't for years, so, if I remember, I will weigh myself at my parent's place, but that's less than once a week and if I remember. How my clothes fit and the fact that I now recognize myself in the mirror. My weight hasn't budged much in the last month... however... I'm getting in smaller and smaller clothes. So I figure that the fat I'm losing and the muscle I'm building cover each other off, (remembering that a lb of fat is a brick of butter, and that muscle is much more dense). If you need to see your weight loss... go to the grocery store and fill a cart with butter to the equivalent of what you have lost... take a picture with you standing beside it... that is what you have lost. It is not about the numbers, it's how you feel.

When I need an esteem boost, I visit people who haven't seen me in a long time to feel the love! That gives me way more satisfaction that a number on a scale!
  • MDS369
    MDS369 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get weighed once per week when I go to my medical weight loss group class. If I check my weight more than that I will drive myself nuts analyzing every single pound. I love the build up of excitement and anticipation and then as soon as I weigh in, I send out an official tweet and blog about it. It's a lot of fun for me that way. :-)

Love the last sentence; thanks for the feedback.
  • SaffieM
    SaffieM Posts: 9
    Options
    Weighing is once a week for me, and I try not to think about what to expect. So far, it's worked. I try to weigh myself the same time weekly.
  • mkiesel33
    mkiesel33 Posts: 16
    Options
    I weigh in every morning because I battle binge, emotional and I like to nibble it helps keep these things in check, keeps me honest and keeps me motivated to keep trying if it goes up I know to put my brain on alert and if it goes down I reward my brain for keepi g my stomach and emotions in check with some Internet game play lol
  • MDS369
    Options
    I weigh myself only once a week. After a while, you get impatient to see results, so it's tempting to go at it more than once. But I remind myself that if I weigh myself everyday, I'm only looking to disappoint myself and then I'll eventually feel bad for eating at all. So I stick to one week, my weigh-in day being Friday.

I try to use the same scale. The one I was using was a regular digital, but I switched to one that gives you body fat % and stuff like that (even though I pay no mind to it). I don't think it matters what scale you use (I would go with digital though), but I would make sure that you're always using the same scale.

It's amazing though that your scale is telling you a 15lbs loss in a few days... I lost 6lbs in the first week, and the amount I have to lose is only 10lbs less than yours.

I have noticed that with tile floor, it can vary depending on where it's positioned so have moved it to where it can sit undisturbed. Thanks for the feedback:)
  • MDS369
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, at the same time every day (first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before taking a shower, and yes completely undressed--only want my true weight :)! ) The thing that I have been so happy about is using MFP to be able to track the weight patterns over a 3 month period. I weigh daily and can immediately see what my successes and failures do with my weight, while still seeing that I am on track. I really think that the daily weight checks haven't hurt my motivation it actually has helped me to understand that there can be ups and downs along the way and not to over focus on a particular weight on a particular day (just think if I had a bad weight day and only weighed once a week, I would count the whole week a failure, but with weighing every day, I can see that I did great most of the week, and only had one bad weight day that happened to resolve in a day or two). I also noted that using the weight with the % body fat on the scale, I may not see a weight change for a couple days, but the % fat is changing, then Bazzinng! the weight will drop!

Please note, I really do have a good track record with this method. Although, my MFP only shows 2# total loss, (I found out about MFP and started using it later after I had lost some weight, and then got a back injury and gained back 15# before I could get active again this May) I have actually lost a total of 30# over the past year, 15 of them twice :). I started at 5'4" and 168#. I am now 138#. I realize some may think this isn't much, since they have lost much more weight, but I am getting close to my goal of 120# and am changing my body composition with regular focused exercise program.

Great points & info, thanks for the feedback:)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Way too often.... usually once a day, but sometimes twice a day lol
  • dkpk1965
    dkpk1965 Posts: 17
    Options
    i know some ppl weigh themselves once a month. i weigh myself on sunday mornings before breakfast.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    once a wk like suggested.. i dont want to be obsessed or let the scale 'rule' over me.. dont want to give it to much power
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month -- works for me. I focus on my physical health (1500 cal/day and exercise), and my spiritual and emotional health and the weight comes off. By doing it this way I am not in denial about my weight and weight loss, but the focus isn't the scale but a way of life -- in other words I am not on a diet, but finding a path that works for me with food and exercise. I really try to be exact about logging my food every day though because it is really easy to be in denial about calories in/calories out.
  • fatpanda96
    fatpanda96 Posts: 77
    Options
    I weight myself several times a day. I've read a bunch of different things that say that it's bad for weight loss but oh well.
    I'm usually my lowest right when I wake up after i *ahem* use the restroom, and I try to keep that weight in mind throughout the day, but I dont usually record my weight on MFP until Sundays.
  • MDS369
    Options
    Thanks again for all the insight / suggestions! I've decided to weigh in once per week [Sunday] as my 'official' weight. While I may sneak a peek once more mid week, I won't record that number but simply use it as a guide to see how my week is moving along and to get a better sense of how my body fluctuates and what works best for me as far as nutrition and exercise.

I did weigh in today (15 day mark) and am happy to report that while there was an initial bounce back [up], I maintained 12 of the 15lb loss and am now at a 14lb loss, which I believe will stick as it was achieved through eating a consistenly healthy diet since starting.

Cheers!