Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i avoid all carbs from 4am till 6am.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's science. It works. Read the book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. I've lost 65 lbs by eating a lot! just no carbs.

That is not a book to read if you are interested in science, it's more fantasy than science, the section on the lipid hypothesis aside

Whats so fantasy like about the book?

Carbs and only carbs make you fat
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    It's science. It works. Read the book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. I've lost 65 lbs by eating a lot! just no carbs.

That is not a book to read if you are interested in science, it's more fantasy than science, the section on the lipid hypothesis aside

and mayo, dont forget mayo.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

He says excess levels of insulin make you fat. So let ask you this. What causes people to get fat?

overeating and not exercising?
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    how does one RESET their Protein goal? I just typed in my weight goal loss...and system AUTOMATICALLY put that in.

please advise.!
    :-)
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I was a type 2 diabetic. I changed my diet to 60% fat, 30% protein, 10 carb, 1500 calories a day. My total cholesterol this week is 181, ldl is 101, triglycerides 72, a1c 5.4.

I am super healthy.

Please, those who wish to say this is unhealthy, feel free to not eat this way. It works very well for me and my body.

Having said that, this is the only way of eating that I have been able to stick to.
  • Acg67
    Options

He says excess levels of insulin make you fat. So let ask you this. What causes people to get fat?

And what is the only thing that raises insulin according to him?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I certainly would up your protein. I have been at 100+ protein and under 75 net carbs for a little over 8 months. Along with maintaining my calorie goal and finally doing exercise I have lost 100+ lbs. I feel so much better without the grains and sugars that not sure I will ever go back the way it was, even after I hit goal. No more bloating and feeling like crap all the time. And I have much more energy (from food and exercise).

Good luck.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I certainly would up your protein. I have been at 100+ protein and under 75 net carbs for a little over 8 months. Along with maintaining my calorie goal and finally doing exercise I have lost 100+ lbs. I feel so much better without the grains and sugars that not sure I will ever go back the way it was, even after I hit goal. No more bloating and feeling like crap all the time. And I have much more energy (from food and exercise).

Good luck.

Totally agree, I keep mine to around 60-80g carbs daily. I still eat carbs just not as much. I have the same energy levels except now im 12lbs lighter in 24 days. I dont think its the lower carbs i think its less processed portion of the carb choices that are making the difference. Most breads/pastas have added sodium, etc.

Good luck I know it's working for me. :flowerforyou:
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    People have had success on low carb diets for a long time. Seems like we have all at some point run out of things to argue about.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to around 60 ish carbs but generally below 100. And I try to aim for around 100g protein.

But my question is, do you all take off the fibre or just count the carbs? I'm a bit confused by this. And if you do take off the fibre, is there a tool to do this or do you just do it mentally? Thanks
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to around 60 ish carbs but generally below 100. And I try to aim for around 100g protein.

But my question is, do you all take off the fibre or just count the carbs? I'm a bit confused by this. And if you do take off the fibre, is there a tool to do this or do you just do it mentally? Thanks

Problem with low carb diets and people in general is that they end up doing everything wrong to begin with. They feel crappy and moody all the time, and refuse to take 1-2 days a week to carb load. Some people abolish every carbohydrate possible in their diet, ignore fiber as an important element in their diet, and end up quitting their diet altogether. In addition to doing all that they end up doing massive amounts of cardio and by the time they are done cutting they loss a lot of muscle.
  • Acg67
    Options

Good luck.

Minimum protein requirements is 150g regardless of weight. Reason is studies have concluded that for some reason eating under 150g of protein leads to nitrogen loss regardless of weight.

Lol
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Problem with low carb diets and people in general is that they end up doing everything wrong to begin with. They feel crappy and moody all the time, and refuse to take 1-2 days a week to carb load. Some people abolish every carbohydrate possible in their diet, ignore fiber as an important element in their diet, and end up quitting their diet altogether. In addition to doing all that they end up doing massive amounts of cardio and by the time they are done cutting they loss a lot of muscle.

Totally agree, I chose a route that is sustainable. Some days I go over 100g other days I go under 70g. I buy lower carb grain choices and limit myself to only 2 servings of grain choices all other carbs are veggie/nuts/etc. I dont plan on counting carbs all my life, so im building menus I love and can eat without worry.

I have tacos every day and cheese and other things. Its not hard really. Just cook your food from fresh unprocessed choices and you will lose lots of weight.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    If you need advice on a low to no carb (ie. under 20 carbs a day) diet I suggest heading over here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

I just don't think you'll get the responses here that you are looking for without setting off panic responses and starting arguments with wanna-be scientists.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options

I don't carb load. That is totally against the way my diet works. If it works for you, great, but I find it much easier to stay in benign dietary ketosis and not be hungry.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

overeating and not exercising?

Exercise has no effect on weight loss. I'll clear this up by saying, there are a few studies "you can look them up" That showed people who exercised with out dietary modification. Lost 2-4bs in a year. The more you exercise the hungerier you get and the more you eat.

Really? you have to be joking? This cannot be an honest statement...... is it?
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Minimum protein requirements is 150g regardless of weight. Reason is studies have concluded that for some reason eating under 150g of protein leads to nitrogen loss regardless of weight.

Lol

"Assuming zero carbohydrate intake, during the first 3 weeks of a ketogenic diet a protein
    intake of ~150 grams per day should be sufficient to achieve nitrogen balance. Therefore,
    regardless of bodyweight, the minimum amount of protein which should be consumed during the
    initial three weeks of a ketogenic diet is 150 grams per day."Ketogenic Diet-Lyle Mcdonald pg 56

Since you're incorrect, i guess this makes everything you have said this far as invalid?

invalid.jpg
  • Acg67
    Options

Good luck.

Lol

"Assuming zero carbohydrate intake, during the first 3 weeks of a ketogenic diet a protein
    intake of ~150 grams per day should be sufficient to achieve nitrogen balance. Therefore,
    regardless of bodyweight, the minimum amount of protein which should be consumed during the
    initial three weeks of a ketogenic diet is 150 grams per day."Ketogenic Diet-Lyle Mcdonald pg 56

Since you're incorrect, i guess this makes everything you have said this far as invalid?

You said "studies have concluded" and posted no studies to support your assertion. And if you actually read the OP's post, she said she is doing low carb not no carb.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Low carb will help you with your weight loss. My advice in the first stages is to stick with MFP goals and alter things as you go along.

Aim to lose 1-2lbs a week to start.

If you over think things at the beginning then you will probably give up and go back to square one.