Anyone doing No Carbs diet?

Options

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It's science. It works. Read the book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. I've lost 65 lbs by eating a lot! just no carbs.

That is not a book to read if you are interested in science, it's more fantasy than science, the section on the lipid hypothesis aside

Whats so fantasy like about the book?

Carbs and only carbs make you fat

He says excess levels of insulin make you fat. So let ask you this. What causes people to get fat?

overeating and not exercising?

Exercise has no effect on weight loss. I'll clear this up by saying, there are a few studies "you can look them up" That showed people who exercised with out dietary modification. Lost 2-4bs in a year. The more you exercise the hungerier you get and the more you eat.

Exercise does have an effect on weight loss. 3500 calories is 1 lb. It doesn't matter if you create the deficit in diet or in exercise the deficit is still there. I do 3500 calories a week in diet and 3500 calories a week in exercise and I lose 2 lbs a week, every week. Sometimes I'm hungry. I don't eat. It's called discipline. Or, I do eat. And I move more.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I was- i've done the atkins once in the past, and while the results were fabulous- if you don't think it's something you can stick to for life I Don't suggest it . The second you add back all your carbs you'll gain the weight back and more.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    ive done the 'no' or very very low carbs beforre.. few times.. but its hard and not realistic for 'regular eating'... esp on the go or just in life.. and yes ive lost weight on it before.. but ive always gained it back because i feel so deprived.. and not even having 'bread' or something after a while.. im sniffing sourdough bread in the isles of the store!!! im now.. since MFP (WEEK 2 NOW) eating what i already like but making it healthier (egg whites/vs eggs) less of goodies/snacks and keeping protein high.. and keeping calories where I need them and exercising every day at least once.. i have 50-80 lbs to loose so theres no way im not gonna have me a damn piece of toast ya know?! lol.. im just over the 'crash' type diets.. how i see 'no/way low carb' diets....:flowerforyou:

exactly!!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Low-carb'ing it is a great way to lose weight. Though eliminating most bread, pasta and rice from my diet was the hardest thing I did dietary, but I didn't feel like I had low energy levels even when working out which I found strange.
  • TheyCallMeTaterSalad
    Options
    My diet is really low carb (around 25 net carbs per day) and I love it. It helps keep my appetite under control (which helps me hit my calorie goals consistently), no more sugar cravings, I have tons of energy, and I just feel better in general. All of my carbs come from veggies like broccoli, spinach, kale, peppers, cucumbers etc. and fruits like avocado, berries etc. I had a few carb withdrawal symptoms during the first week when I started eating like this but they were all gone by about day 5. I love eating this way, and honestly i've never felt better.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Low carb is fine maybe, no carb is ridiculously restrictive. If you have a problem with carbs just change the carbs you're consuming from useless processed carbs to useful carbs and complex carbs.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a low carb diet for the past year and I feel great. Most of my carbs are from fruits and vegetables. before I started doing the low carb, I would have horrible GERD. Since I switched to low carb, my GERD has disappeared. I RARELY have anything with sugar in it anymore. I make my own treats and bread at home using stevia, coconut and almond flour. I choose healthy fats and low fat proteins. In fact, on the rare occasion that I do have sugar or white flour, my body feels so sluggish, that I don't think it is worth it to me.
  • ronrosso
    ronrosso Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm like a fish out of water. I really want to get my *kitten* in gear. I have tried the no carbs before and it worked for me, but once I stopped it yup it's back. I like the idea of low carbs. I hope this will keep me thinking about what I put in my mouth. wish me luck
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm like a fish out of water. I really want to get my *kitten* in gear. I have tried the no carbs before and it worked for me, but once I stopped it yup it's back. I like the idea of low carbs. I hope this will keep me thinking about what I put in my mouth. wish me luck

Good luck :)

Cutting the carbs back to about 15% of my daily intake works well for me, I'll never go back.

Energy good, mood good, feeling satisfied ... Can't ask for more.

You do have to embrace the dietary fat though, really love it ... Mmmm, fatty fat fat ...
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    wow! am loving the debate eherm....discussion about this topic!

just to add that I am doing a LOW carb...but say NO carb...because I will get it anyway...so if I shoot for NO carbs...I hope to find myself eternally in the Low Carb Zone!
    :-)

Its Day4 now.....and honestly...I am finally on my cycle...and I have ALWAYS had cramps....none this month!

I finally got over the headaches from the first few days (think that was carb withdrawal)...and feel normal enough energy levels....not to the point of doing serious exercise..but I can walk tot he shops and back.

and my weight no moved significantly...just 0.2kg...but FINALLY the **** is going in the right direction! thank you Jesus!!!

hehehe
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i avoid all carbs from 4am till 6am.

:laugh:

Same here! Then my alarm goes off at 6:15am! :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    {snip} So let ask you this. What causes people to get fat?

And BINGO was his name-o! That's exactly what did it for me. Now I eat controlled portions and exercise consistently, and the fat is melting off. ...And I eat more carbs than do protein.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    wow! am loving the debate eherm....discussion about this topic!

just to add that I am doing a LOW carb...but say NO carb...because I will get it anyway...so if I shoot for NO carbs...I hope to find myself eternally in the Low Carb Zone!
    :-)

Its Day4 now.....and honestly...I am finally on my cycle...and I have ALWAYS had cramps....none this month!

I finally got over the headaches from the first few days (think that was carb withdrawal)...and feel normal enough energy levels....not to the point of doing serious exercise..but I can walk tot he shops and back.

and my weight no moved significantly...just 0.2kg...but FINALLY the **** is going in the right direction! thank you Jesus!!!

hehehe

I don't want to rain on your parade (and I am a big fan of cutting back the carbs) but if you are just 4 days in then what you are losing is probably water weight.

This is common when you restrict the carbs and very easy to regain.

I would not aim for 'no carbs' as some kind of nirvana, you restrict yourself too much from good nutrients ... And in any case anything below 50g a day gets less and less significant.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to around 60 ish carbs but generally below 100. And I try to aim for around 100g protein.

But my question is, do you all take off the fibre or just count the carbs? I'm a bit confused by this. And if you do take off the fibre, is there a tool to do this or do you just do it mentally? Thanks
    I am training for a triathlon, pretty strenuous. I have never had any weakness or energy level issues. I am making gains all the time. It works for me.

Problem with low carb diets and people in general is that they end up doing everything wrong to begin with. They feel crappy and moody all the time, and refuse to take 1-2 days a week to carb load. Some people abolish every carbohydrate possible in their diet, ignore fiber as an important element in their diet, and end up quitting their diet altogether. In addition to doing all that they end up doing massive amounts of cardio and by the time they are done cutting they loss a lot of muscle.
    I don't carb load. That is totally against the way my diet works. If it works for you, great, but I find it much easier to stay in benign dietary ketosis and not be hungry.

If you do a lot of strength training then Carb loading while on a no carb/ low carb diet is a must. I personally do vigorous strength training that involves free weights, and conditioning drills. My body would feel too weak if I were to do such activities, and I have experienced this in the past.

So you go to a triathlon glycogen depleted?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

And BINGO was his name-o! That's exactly what did it for me. Now I eat controlled portions and exercise consistently, and the fat is melting off. ...And I eat more carbs than do protein.

If exercise is part of the weight loss equation, people wouldn't be able to lose weight without exercising. Sure exercise is great, has it's own benefits, but not necessary at all for weight loss.

"Exercise has no effect on weight loss" =/= "not necessary"
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    carbs are essential. going carb-less is a recipe for disaster.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    carbs are essential. going carb-less is a recipe for disaster.

There are no such thing as an essential carb.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I love carbs....... LOL

Seriously, I started out on Southbeach and that IS how I lost a lot of my weight. That one isn't so much low carbs as learning to eat the "right" carbs. And then I started running so now I'm back to eating plenty of carbs in the form of veggies, fruits and whole grains. Gotta have fuel to finish the race ;)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

If exercise is part of the weight loss equation, people wouldn't be able to lose weight without exercising. Sure exercise is great, has it's own benefits, but not necessary at all for weight loss.

"Exercise has no effect on weight loss" =/= "not necessary"

This is true. Exercise has no effect on weight loss, but exercise sure does make you look better.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    No in the last few hours.