Anyone doing No Carbs diet?

Options

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Exercise has no effect on weight loss. I'll clear this up by saying, there are a few studies "you can look them up" That showed people who exercised with out dietary modification. Lost 2-4bs in a year. The more you exercise the hungerier you get and the more you eat."
    [/quote]

You, sir, are extraordinarily deluded. Do you mean to say that increasing my activity level(aka exercising), eating healthier foods and losing over 45 pounds(nine dress sizes) in the last year and a half is all a myth? Whoa...
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

"Exercise has no effect on weight loss. I'll clear this up by saying, there are a few studies "you can look them up" That showed people who exercised with out dietary modification. Lost 2-4bs in a year. The more you exercise the hungerier you get and the more you eat."

You, sir, are extraordinarily deluded. Do you mean to say that increasing my activity level(aka exercising), eating healthier foods and losing over 45 pounds(nine dress sizes) in the last year and a half is all a myth? Whoa...
    [/quote]

"eating healthier foods" is dietary modifications. Obviously I am not the deluded one.
    [/quote]

I still eat many of the "bad junk foods" I used to, just added some healthier stuff to the mix. I feel one of the main reasons I have become more fit and less fat is still due greatly to my increased physical activity.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    ive done the 'no' or very very low carbs beforre.. few times.. but its hard and not realistic for 'regular eating'... esp on the go or just in life.. and yes ive lost weight on it before.. but ive always gained it back because i feel so deprived.. and not even having 'bread' or something after a while.. im sniffing sourdough bread in the isles of the store!!! im now.. since MFP (WEEK 2 NOW) eating what i already like but making it healthier (egg whites/vs eggs) less of goodies/snacks and keeping protein high.. and keeping calories where I need them and exercising every day at least once.. i have 50-80 lbs to loose so theres no way im not gonna have me a damn piece of toast ya know?! lol.. im just over the 'crash' type diets.. how i see 'no/way low carb' diets....:flowerforyou:
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to around 60 ish carbs but generally below 100. And I try to aim for around 100g protein.

But my question is, do you all take off the fibre or just count the carbs? I'm a bit confused by this. And if you do take off the fibre, is there a tool to do this or do you just do it mentally? Thanks

Problem with low carb diets and people in general is that they end up doing everything wrong to begin with. They feel crappy and moody all the time, and refuse to take 1-2 days a week to carb load. Some people abolish every carbohydrate possible in their diet, ignore fiber as an important element in their diet, and end up quitting their diet altogether. In addition to doing all that they end up doing massive amounts of cardio and by the time they are done cutting they loss a lot of muscle.
    I don't carb load. That is totally against the way my diet works. If it works for you, great, but I find it much easier to stay in benign dietary ketosis and not be hungry.

If you do a lot of strength training then Carb loading while on a no carb/ low carb diet is a must. I personally do vigorous strength training that involves free weights, and conditioning drills. My body would feel too weak if I were to do such activities, and I have experienced this in the past.
  • naples89
    naples89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im pretty low carb almost by default because I'm working out so I try to eat tons of protein and that eats up my cals for the day.

Cool part is I work in a hospital lab so I can check myself for ketones (through urinalysis) for free. It only took a few days and still I feel normal.

As an aside it should be used as a way to break through stalls or short-mid term diet, not a lifestyle.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i eat a HIGH carb diet, heheh. Makes me have a ton of energy and I feel great which means I burn a TON of calories. I tired a low carb diet a week ago. It just about killed me so I went back to what works best for me. Love my carbs!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I've recently started eating less carbs and I've found that I feel a lot better than if I kept a higher level in my diet. I ate a lot of carbs last night for dinner and ended up feeling very bloated.
  • littlebecc
    littlebecc Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't believe the low carb to no carb (don't even know how that's possible) to be a sustainable diet. Carbs are what your body runs on first, you need them. Not to mention, where is everyone getting their fibre from with the lack of carbohydrates eg fruits and vegetables? No wonder people are so clogged up...
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    have you read the book 'the Zone Diet'? or anything on the paleo diet? maybe some useful info for you (us) there :smile:
  • MrsSexton2013
    MrsSexton2013 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    how does one RESET their Protein goal? I just typed in my weight goal loss...and system AUTOMATICALLY put that in.

please advise.!
    :-)
    did you find this yet_ it's manually adjustable under your settings, under the goals category.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Okay, I took a peek at your diary. It appears you are keeping carb grams very low. You had me worried there for a sec.

You may want to change the title to "low" instead of "no" carbs. :smile:

Exactly.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I don't believe the low carb to no carb (don't even know how that's possible) to be a sustainable diet. Carbs are what your body runs on first, you need them. Not to mention, where is everyone getting their fibre from with the lack of carbohydrates eg fruits and vegetables? No wonder people are so clogged up...

A controlled carb (with being on the lower side) is easily sustained.

Fiber isn't as important when you are eating high fat and eating sufficient water intake because it slides right out. No constipation issues here.

When I opt for a bit higher carbs (all from fruits, vegetables and sweet potatoes) then I lower my fat intake a bit.

And carbs are not "necessary". Fat is the preferred fuel for the body to run on. The body is amazing at converting burned fat and protein into the necessary glucose needed.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a healthy, balanced diet? Your body needs carbs.
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i try to stay in the 50 to 60 carb range daily allowing myself 1500 calories-it works for me. I mess up sometimes but i seem to do better on a low carb then a low cal..best of luck to you!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

There is no such thing as an essential carb.

Why does everyone think we need carbs????? Technically we could be very happy and healthy eating protein and fats. Boring, but it can be done and for some it is very sustainable.

Personally, I like vegetables and fruits so that is where I get "some" carbs from, but that is it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as an essential carb.

Why does everyone think we need carbs????? Technically we could be very happy and healthy eating protein and fats. Boring, but it can be done and for some it is very sustainable.

Personally, I like vegetables and fruits so that is where I get "some" carbs from, but that is it.

What is glucose?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs.. but only fruits veggies and low fat dairy. No grains, breads, or pastas. I have seen tremendous results in fat loss since making the change.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I try to stick to around 60 ish carbs but generally below 100. And I try to aim for around 100g protein.

But my question is, do you all take off the fibre or just count the carbs? I'm a bit confused by this. And if you do take off the fibre, is there a tool to do this or do you just do it mentally? Thanks
    I am training for a triathlon, pretty strenuous. I have never had any weakness or energy level issues. I am making gains all the time. It works for me.

Problem with low carb diets and people in general is that they end up doing everything wrong to begin with. They feel crappy and moody all the time, and refuse to take 1-2 days a week to carb load. Some people abolish every carbohydrate possible in their diet, ignore fiber as an important element in their diet, and end up quitting their diet altogether. In addition to doing all that they end up doing massive amounts of cardio and by the time they are done cutting they loss a lot of muscle.
    I don't carb load. That is totally against the way my diet works. If it works for you, great, but I find it much easier to stay in benign dietary ketosis and not be hungry.

If you do a lot of strength training then Carb loading while on a no carb/ low carb diet is a must. I personally do vigorous strength training that involves free weights, and conditioning drills. My body would feel too weak if I were to do such activities, and I have experienced this in the past.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html