6 Things that Will STOP weight loss in its tracks!

Options

Replies

• joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I HOPE THE GLUTEN INFO IS INCORRECT SINCE I KNOW PEOPLE WITH CILLIAC AND I WOULD HATE TO STICK WITH A GLUTEN FREE DIET.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    2. Rid your diet of gluten. Gluten is wheat, barley, and rye and found in many products. Essentially it destroys the villi in your intestines that absorb nutrients. When your body can't get the nutrients it needs, it goes it to starvation mode, and preserves its weight.

Stop. Just stop.

Going gluten free will not necessarily make it easier for you to lose weight. I don't know if you've noticed, but there is still a ton of crap out there that's labeled "gluten free". There are items that are not good for you that are naturally gluten free. Mexican food can be made gluten free by using corn tortillas instead of flour. You can make Italian food with gluten free pasta. And it can be every bit as bad for you, sometimes worse depending on your substitutes, as its gluten filled counterparts.

I have Celiac disease, and have to eat gluten free for my health. It's idiotic misinformation like this that causes people to not take me seriously when I tell the waiter at a resturant that I need salad free of croutons, or to grill my chicken instead of breading it. Too many people take it as the next Big Diet Craze when it's not.

Sorry if this seems ranty, but it's been grating on my nerves lately.

Edited to say: I'm not saying this statement in particular is wrong, but saying everyone should go on a gluten free diet because it's a great way to lose weight is. Unless you need to go on a gluten free diet, don't bother. If you're eating wheat bread and pasta and reaching your goals, please continue.

Thank you for posting! This rant is far more articulate than the one I nearly posted...

I hate this fad gluten free diet garbage that's floating around. "Gluten free" alternatives are higher calorie anyway. People will follow any fad like sheep sometimes. Weight loss doesn't come from giving up perfectly healthy foods for no medical reason. It comes from lifestyle change. Please people, don't listen to this flawed logic... if you reacted to gluten, you'd know.
  • rlmadrid
    Options
    I HOPE THE GLUTEN INFO IS INCORRECT SINCE I KNOW PEOPLE WITH CILLIAC AND I WOULD HATE TO STICK WITH A GLUTEN FREE DIET.

Don't worry, there is zero truth to it. Carb-laden foods often contain gluten so limiting them in your daily diet is helpful in caloric restriction only. This has nothing to do with the fact that they contain gluten.
  • rlmadrid
    Options
    I'm curious about something. If not eating enough causes "starvation mode" why are there skinny anorexics? Shouldn't they be really, really fat as a result of "starvation mode"?

I'm just saying...

I laughed. The whole starvation mode concept is basically a myth. It is important to note that your body adjusts to caloric intake. Eating <1200 cals a day lowers your metabolism to only require 1200 cals a day. If you were to eat more, your body simply would't know what to do with the extra. That's when it may get held onto as excess weight. It's the reason all those skinny anorexic people will gain weigh quite quickly during recovery.

I hope that helped make sense of it a bit!
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i'm on the pill and it hasn't made me gain weight. i gained weight because i ate too much!

I agree 100%! I was at my lowest weight when on the pill because of the food I ate and the workouts I did.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If I don't take my birth control I will most certainly gain weight! LOL.

:laugh: Too true!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Only half is crap so you shouldn't be too hard on her.

#1, 2 and 4 are flat out wrong but getting enough water is very important and hormonal pills do have some sort of an effect on weight loss.

Not true. They refuted that long ago--there are low dose bcps that have no significant effect on body weight.Yes If you get the depo provera shot you MIGHT gain some weight but this blanket statement about it preventing weight loss or causing plateaus is simply untrue.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    NO BIRTH CONTROL?!! Sweet Jesus WHAT AM I GOING TO DO IF I BECOME PREGGERS....:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    great! :grumble: :noway:
    ok guys... for newbe like me its confusing now.:sick: Please direct me to the right post!:frown:

Try this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/668418-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag?

And ignore the title, the OP was having some fun!!

I also like this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/496770-misinformation?hl=misinformation+is+bad

I like this one too--It's very detailed, but it has a wealth of info if you really dive into it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • mulcahya
    mulcahya Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good post!

However - about the gluten.

Gluten does NOT destroy villi in the intestine in the average person, who is not sensitive/intolerant of it. In people with Coeliac disease, or a degree of gluten intolerance, gluten can affect the villi in the intestine and alter absorption. This represents up to a maximum of around 10% of the population.

However in the rest of the population, it is fine. In fact, avoiding gluten for a prolonged period of time if you are not intolerant can induce gluten sensitivity (as you are not exposing your body to it, it does not know how to process it if you try to start eating it again).

(Medical student)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    great! :grumble: :noway:
    ok guys... for newbe like me its confusing now.:sick: Please direct me to the right post!:frown:

Try this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/668418-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag?

And ignore the title, the OP was having some fun!!

I also like this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/496770-misinformation?hl=misinformation+is+bad

Yep - thats a good one too.
    Options
    Good post!

However - about the gluten.

Gluten does NOT destroy villi in the intestine in the average person, who is not sensitive/intolerant of it. In people with Coeliac disease, or a degree of gluten intolerance, gluten can affect the villi in the intestine and alter absorption. This represents up to a maximum of around 10% of the population.

However in the rest of the population, it is fine. In fact, avoiding gluten for a prolonged period of time if you are not intolerant can induce gluten sensitivity (as you are not exposing your body to it, it does not know how to process it if you try to start eating it again).

(Medical student)

Awww--you completely destroyed your credibility with the "good post" despite the fact that what you say about gluten is true. The OP asserts that birth control pills will halt weight loss--along with high gi foods...uum have you checked the gi of most fruit? The post is completely ridiculous and lacks reputable support.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I love unsolicited advice....tell me more.
    Options
    I love unsolicited advice....tell me more.

And downright incorrect--I Want more too!
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If I don't take my birth control I will most certainly gain weight! LOL.

^^^^ This

Because birth control, like cookies and cake, is totally an option and should be cut out. Right.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Oh Know!!!! This post just confirmed my weight loss is merely an illusion!!?!?!?!?!....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    1. Too much salt in your diet. Daily intake should be between 2 to 2.5 grams of salt. Sodium found in salt is an important electrolyte to our body functioning, but too much can cause of maintenance of water weight. When our bloodstream has too much salt in it then we need to drink fluids to dilute it to a normal balance. Likewise when you urinate the salt follows it. Hydrating well will help flush the high salt content out. Drinking too much water however in a short period of time can cause the opposite effect of too low sodium levels, also known as hyponatremia, which will cause dizziness, disorientation, and can lead to seizures. Our bodies sweat out salt as well. With marathon running, taking salt tabs every so often can help prevent this especially when drinking lots of water during the race.

2. Rid your diet of gluten. Gluten is wheat, barley, and rye and found in many products. Essentially it destroys the villi in your intestines that absorb nutrients. When your body can't get the nutrients it needs, it goes it to starvation mode, and preserves its weight.

3. Not consuming enough daily calories. Once again your body will go into starvation mode if you are not consuming enough calories. Sometimes you are consuming enough calories but the weight stays because it has got use to what you are eating. Consume 100-200 more calories for a few days to boost your metabolism, then go back to your regular caloric intake and see the pounds shed. Don't panic if you initially gain weight.

4. Eating foods with a high glycemic index. People usually don't gain weight by ingesting fat, but from consuming too much sugar. Our bodies actually learn to store sugar as fat faster if we have sugar addictions, instead of metabolizing it. So stop with the starchy foods, alcohol, pastas, breads, and the obvious cookies and cake. If you must have pasta dishes try to substitute with quinoa spaghetti noodles. Wean your body so that you aren't so sensitive to sugar.

5. Hormone supplementation such as birth control pills.

6. Not drinking enough water. Think of water as the oil for your car, your body. If your body becomes dehydrated it can't function properly slowing fat burning. Dehydration begins way before the first thirst impulse. Water is needed to flush out the toxins, increases oxygen to your muscles needed for aerobic metabolism which is the ultimate burner of calories. A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces. 120lbs=60 ounces= 7.5 glasses of water/day.

Nope - disagree with a lot of this. What will stop weight loss in it's tracks is eating too much. And what's up with all the 'gluten-haters' lately? Unless there's a medical reason there's no reason to eliminate gluten from your diet. As with everything is all about moderation.
  • LMBalfour
    LMBalfour Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Gluten and wheat will only react to your body the way you stated if you have Celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. This does not happen to everyone.These people need to be assessed, diagnosed and put on this diet by their doctor / gastroenterologist. Just wanted to point that out as I am Celiac myself.
  • bump:)
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    :)