6 Things that Will STOP weight loss in its tracks!

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Stop eating gluten... it's the enemy.. really pees me off!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    One tip that will STOP weightloss in its track: eat more than you need, move less than you should. That's about it ;)

This all you need to know. Eat right, move more.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    1. Too much salt in your diet. Daily intake should be between 2 to 2.5 grams of salt. Sodium found in salt is an important electrolyte to our body functioning, but too much can cause of maintenance of water weight. When our bloodstream has too much salt in it then we need to drink fluids to dilute it to a normal balance. Likewise when you urinate the salt follows it. Hydrating well will help flush the high salt content out. Drinking too much water however in a short period of time can cause the opposite effect of too low sodium levels, also known as hyponatremia, which will cause dizziness, disorientation, and can lead to seizures. Our bodies sweat out salt as well. With marathon running, taking salt tabs every so often can help prevent this especially when drinking lots of water during the race.

2. Rid your diet of gluten. Gluten is wheat, barley, and rye and found in many products. Essentially it destroys the villi in your intestines that absorb nutrients. When your body can't get the nutrients it needs, it goes it to starvation mode, and preserves its weight.

3. Not consuming enough daily calories. Once again your body will go into starvation mode if you are not consuming enough calories. Sometimes you are consuming enough calories but the weight stays because it has got use to what you are eating. Consume 100-200 more calories for a few days to boost your metabolism, then go back to your regular caloric intake and see the pounds shed. Don't panic if you initially gain weight.

4. Eating foods with a high glycemic index. People usually don't gain weight by ingesting fat, but from consuming too much sugar. Our bodies actually learn to store sugar as fat faster if we have sugar addictions, instead of metabolizing it. So stop with the starchy foods, alcohol, pastas, breads, and the obvious cookies and cake. If you must have pasta dishes try to substitute with quinoa spaghetti noodles. Wean your body so that you aren't so sensitive to sugar.

5. Hormone supplementation such as birth control pills.

6. Not drinking enough water. Think of water as the oil for your car, your body. If your body becomes dehydrated it can't function properly slowing fat burning. Dehydration begins way before the first thirst impulse. Water is needed to flush out the toxins, increases oxygen to your muscles needed for aerobic metabolism which is the ultimate burner of calories. A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces. 120lbs=60 ounces= 7.5 glasses of water/day.

If you have any other experiences that cause plateaus please add it in the comment section and please add me as your buddy!!!!

1. Over-hype

2. Gluten is bad for intolerant people. Starvation mode is a bro-science myth.

3. Complete bull****.

4. Partial truth. Insulin control is important.

5. Unknown to me.

6. Partial truth.

Some simple Google searches can find better and more complete information based on science.

QFT. Also, My entire weight loss has ocurred while on hormones. So, Bollocks on that one as well.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    1. Too much salt in your diet. Daily intake should be between 2 to 2.5 grams of salt. Sodium found in salt is an important electrolyte to our body functioning, but too much can cause of maintenance of water weight. When our bloodstream has too much salt in it then we need to drink fluids to dilute it to a normal balance. Likewise when you urinate the salt follows it. Hydrating well will help flush the high salt content out. Drinking too much water however in a short period of time can cause the opposite effect of too low sodium levels, also known as hyponatremia, which will cause dizziness, disorientation, and can lead to seizures. Our bodies sweat out salt as well. With marathon running, taking salt tabs every so often can help prevent this especially when drinking lots of water during the race.

2. Rid your diet of gluten. Gluten is wheat, barley, and rye and found in many products. Essentially it destroys the villi in your intestines that absorb nutrients. When your body can't get the nutrients it needs, it goes it to starvation mode, and preserves its weight.

3. Not consuming enough daily calories. Once again your body will go into starvation mode if you are not consuming enough calories. Sometimes you are consuming enough calories but the weight stays because it has got use to what you are eating. Consume 100-200 more calories for a few days to boost your metabolism, then go back to your regular caloric intake and see the pounds shed. Don't panic if you initially gain weight.

4. Eating foods with a high glycemic index. People usually don't gain weight by ingesting fat, but from consuming too much sugar. Our bodies actually learn to store sugar as fat faster if we have sugar addictions, instead of metabolizing it. So stop with the starchy foods, alcohol, pastas, breads, and the obvious cookies and cake. If you must have pasta dishes try to substitute with quinoa spaghetti noodles. Wean your body so that you aren't so sensitive to sugar.

5. Hormone supplementation such as birth control pills.

6. Not drinking enough water. Think of water as the oil for your car, your body. If your body becomes dehydrated it can't function properly slowing fat burning. Dehydration begins way before the first thirst impulse. Water is needed to flush out the toxins, increases oxygen to your muscles needed for aerobic metabolism which is the ultimate burner of calories. A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces. 120lbs=60 ounces= 7.5 glasses of water/day.

If you have any other experiences that cause plateaus please add it in the comment section and please add me as your buddy!!!!

1. Over-hype

2. Gluten is bad for intolerant people. Starvation mode is a bro-science myth.

3. Complete bull****.

4. Partial truth. Insulin control is important.

5. Unknown to me.

6. Partial truth.

Some simple Google searches can find better and more complete information based on science.

Everything above and added #5. I have had no issues losing weight taking the pill.
    Eat right, exercise, learn moderation and don't deprive yourself of anything.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

mmm yes true but only if you have coeliac disease. As less than 1% of the population has it (1 in 133) most people can ignore this one.

Plus I'm gluten free and have been for 20 years and yet managed to put on 7st
  • nursesteveo
    Options
    Fantastic advice!

-Steve
  • sierrajade2012
    Options
    If I don't take my birth control I will most certainly gain weight! LOL.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....I'm 90+ pounds lighter and I didn't follow ANY of your suggestions except the "lots of water" and "less sugar" bits, and well....that's just common sense.

***EDITED***

ps...I lost weight when I was on birth control.

****STAFF NOTE: Post has been edited due to violations of guideline #17****
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So if I'm supposed to drink half my body weight in water I'd be drinking 156 ounces of water a day . Which is 19 8oz glasses! I'd be so full from water I wouldn't eat anything nutritious!
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    great! :grumble: :noway:
    ok guys... for newbe like me its confusing now.:sick: Please direct me to the right post!:frown:

EXACTLY. I read this and I was like, "how wonderful" then i read on... and now Im like, "shux"
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info,,,,,but i was told that sleep also can effect weightloss.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds posts from this user more spammy than anything else? This one in particular is full of outdated misinformation.

Thank you...This quote I found disturbing...

"2. Rid your diet of gluten. Gluten is wheat, barley, and rye and found in many products. Essentially it destroys the villi in your intestines that absorb nutrients. When your body can't get the nutrients it needs, it goes it to starvation mode, and preserves its weight."

Are you referring to Celiac? In a normal human, gluten does not destroy intestinal villi...

This is coming from a registered dietitian.

Some of what you say is somewhat/partly true...but...careful about giving out misinformation.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm with you for most, but not all. I'm gluten intolerant, I have an allergy, my body doesn't process gluten and a few other things the way it should because I have an allergy. I don't think gluten is an issue for people who don't medically have an issue with it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    great! :grumble: :noway:
    ok guys... for newbe like me its confusing now.:sick: Please direct me to the right post!:frown:

EXACTLY. I read this and I was like, "how wonderful" then i read on... and now Im like, "shux"
    Read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Helloitsdan provides all the information you need, and he's not in a MLM scheme trying to sell you shakes. :smile:
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    If I don't take my birth control I will most certainly gain weight! LOL.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I did gain a little weight on birth control (which is why I joined)...but there's no way I'd stop taking it...what's the alternative? IUD? Condoms? No thank you.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about something. If not eating enough causes "starvation mode" why are there skinny anorexics? Shouldn't they be really, really fat as a result of "starvation mode"?

I'm just saying...

Because there is a big difference between starvation mode which is eating enough but forcing your body to lower it's metabolic rate and actual starvation.

Your avg anorexic will not be eating close to 500 cals let alone the 1000 people wail about going to starvation mode in. It's a crappy name for something that is completely different to starvation. It's survival.

And FYI, anorexics very often plateau on the way down in weight, then their body starts to eat away at their muscle mass, including their heart, which is why they get dangerously thin.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    This may be your personal experience, but for me 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are not necessarily so.

1. Salt can cause temporary water gain, but it won't prevent you from losing fat if you are sticking to the plan.
    2. Gluten has nothing to do with weight loss. If you stick to the plan, you should lose weight.

4. Glycemic index has nothing to do with weight loss. If you stick to the plan, you should lose weight. You might get hungry more if you eat more high glycemic index foods.
    5. You can still lose weight if you take b/c pills, if you stick to the plan.
    6. You don't HAVE to drink a lot of water to lose weight, if you stick to your food plan.

PS #3? You can also lose weight eating less than recommended calories, but it will cause problems down the road with yo-yo dieting, etc.

Sorry, dear, but none of these 6 statements will stop weight loss in it's tracks. But, do whatever works for you.

Edit: You are a nurse? You work in a field of science, yet make off the cuff, unsubstantiated, baloney statements like this???
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Lies... misinformed... myths.

I could eat twinkies and McDonalds for weeks and still lose weight if I cut calories and exercised.

Research your material before posting.
  • doxieholic7
    Options
    Add me as your friend! Thank you!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: