Spinach Mushroom Quiche- Delicious!!!

Options
pittcurl
pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
Okay so we had tons of spinach and I had to make recipes fast since I hate throughing it away. I researched on here and many websites and found the perfect quiche (I believe). I just omited the onions and red pepper flakes (only b/c I didn't have them on hand), and it still turned out. I just wanted to share with ya!! Enjoy!

IMAG0068.jpg

Ingredients:
For cooking in a pan:
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms
3 cups chopped spinach
Red pepper flakes
Salt
Pepper

For the custard:
4 eggs (could use egg substitute)
1/2 cup milk (I used 2 %)
2 wedges of The Laughing Cow cheese
Salt and pepper

Method:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with some oil.

Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, followed by the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Next, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until all the liquid released evaporates. Add spinach and cook, stirring, just until spinach wilts. Let the mixture cool slightly.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in the cheese. Spread the vegetable mixture in an even layer in the pie dish. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetable mixture.

Bake at 375 F for about 35 minutes, until the quiche is slightly puffed and golden brown on top.

I initially cut into 8 slices, but after looking at the size and also the nutrition I've been eating a 1/4 of the pie.

Now here's the biggy......
Nutrition per 1/4 of the pie
Calorie 98
Fat 6
Sodium 172
Protein 8
Carbs 2
Sugar 1

Now to add some fruit to a slice of bread and call your breakfast complete or even spinach it out more with a smoothie.... 1/2c spinach, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1c soy milk, and a sprinkle of splenda...... also delicious!!!!

Replies

• aleyjewell
    aleyjewell Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stacey1955
    Options
    Hi Aleyjewel aka pittcurl,

Thanks for posting your recipe for Spinach Mushroom Quiche. It looks delicious! But I was wondering about the calorie count you put. It seems a bit lower than it ought to be for a serving size of 1/4 of the pie. So I entered the ingredients into this website http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php to have the calories calculated. To serve 4, according to this website, the calories per serving are 172 with the ingredients that I listed (see below). I am thinking if you omitted the oil and water -sauted the onions and garlic instead, that would eliminate 60 calories per serving which would make it come closer to the calorie count you came up with. I hope you find this feedback helpful. Congrats on your weight loss thus far and keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Stacey

FYI, these are the ingredients I entered (with servings = 4):

2 tbsp oil
    60 cal

6 cal

2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 cal

2 cups chopped mushrooms
    8 cal

3 cups chopped spinach
    5 cal

4 eggs
    63 cal

1/2 cup non-fat milk
    10 cal

2 wedges of Light Garlic and Herb Laughing Cow Cheese
    18 cal
  • manda2980
    manda2980 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    awwwww man that looks DEVINE!
  • pittcurl
    pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey Stacey, I'm not Aleyjewel, but thanks for checking my calculations. There's so many different "items" to select on using the mfp system that people have entered. I'm still shocked it was that low.
  • shercoup
    shercoup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    ty
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Okay so we had tons of spinach and I had to make recipes fast since I hate throughing it away. I researched on here and many websites and found the perfect quiche (I believe). I just omited the onions and red pepper flakes (only b/c I didn't have them on hand), and it still turned out. I just wanted to share with ya!! Enjoy!

IMAG0068.jpg

Ingredients:
    For cooking in a pan:
    2 Tbsp oil
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 cups chopped mushrooms
    3 cups chopped spinach
    Red pepper flakes
    Salt
    Pepper

For the custard:
    4 eggs (could use egg substitute)
    1/2 cup milk (I used 2 %)
    2 wedges of The Laughing Cow cheese
    Salt and pepper

Method:
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with some oil.

Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, followed by the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Next, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until all the liquid released evaporates. Add spinach and cook, stirring, just until spinach wilts. Let the mixture cool slightly.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in the cheese. Spread the vegetable mixture in an even layer in the pie dish. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetable mixture.

Bake at 375 F for about 35 minutes, until the quiche is slightly puffed and golden brown on top.

I initially cut into 8 slices, but after looking at the size and also the nutrition I've been eating a 1/4 of the pie.

Now here's the biggy......
    Nutrition per 1/4 of the pie
    Calorie 98
    Fat 6
    Sodium 172
    Protein 8
    Carbs 2
    Sugar 1

Now to add some fruit to a slice of bread and call your breakfast complete or even spinach it out more with a smoothie.... 1/2c spinach, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1c soy milk, and a sprinkle of splenda...... also delicious!!!!

bump
  • coopersmith99
    coopersmith99 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    YUM!
  • AndieP85
    AndieP85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    CAn anyone give me advice on how long they think this quiche would keep in the fridge? I don't imagine very long! Maybe I will just make individual sizes :)
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • marvelscale
    marvelscale Posts: 135
    Options
    Looks good - trying it tomorrow :)
  • Find_Her_Again
    Options
    Yum, saving for later! Have been trying to find ways to get more vegies in my diet!
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump!!!