what started it all for you?

Options
What happened in your life to make you want to loose weight and be healthier? Was there anything specific or just something you woke up one morning and wanted to do?

I know I'm overweight and have been for about 13 years now ... I know I should exercise more but can't find the motivation to ... I know the things I eat are bad for me ... but I eat them anyway

There is a big part of me that would love to just wake up and be thinner and fit and healthy and eat better etc.. etc... but everytime I think about doing it it all becomes too hard and I dont bother. Really struggling to remember to put all the things I eat in here every day and just when I had started getting of the train a stop earlier and walking to work I'm now crook and can't walk without coughing up a lung.

All these things "i know" I should do ... but can't seem to make it happen ... ever??

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My friend called me fat.
    He was right.
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My eight-year old son kept asking me if I was going to have a baby. I'm still a bit miffed. I wasn't that big, but clearly I wasn't in the right shape either.

BTW - I still love him. He's in my profile pic.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The feeling of dread the morning after I have been out with my friends on a big night out for the photos being tagged on facebook and looking like a hippo! And not being able to wear pretty clothes!
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My little sister won me a gold pass to the local gym for 3 months. So I started 1st July (coz it was about to expire- mind you she won it in March!!!), it runs out on the 1st of October and I've got a wedding to go to on the 6th :)

Timing is everything!!

I've tried lots of times before and failed catastrophically, hang in there. Your ahha! moment will happen :flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Something snapped in me one night. I was feeling extra weak, fat, and pathetic. So I made a decision to lose the blub and get stronger. When I get something in my head that I want, I make sure I get it.
  • hlw5112
    hlw5112 Posts: 33
    Options
    I woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and thought 'This is NOT who I want to be.'
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    This time?!

I could't keep up at jujutsu so I had to sort it.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Realized I actually had a muffin top, and back fat... so not pretty!!!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just got sick and tired of feeling depressed and all my clothes were getting too tight. My knees and back hurt and for the first time in my life I felt OLD!!! I knew I wouldn't go to the gym unless I had a trainer, so I used my Christmas bonus to join a gym and hire a trainer last December. Best money I've ever spent.. seriously. I've shed 50 lbs, and have no body aches or pains anymore and I have my mojo back!!!

Whatever it takes to get you there, do it.. you'll be sooooo happy you did!!!
  • chatter27
    chatter27 Posts: 121
    Options
    I couldn't stand looking at myself.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    A family member said that I looked like if you stuck me with a pin I would pop.
    It hurt to hear but she was right.
  • annamika510
    annamika510 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A guy from my choir said out loud as we were cleaning up in front of everyone else "Did you gain weight? I can see it in your face. And I know that now you are going to hate me but did you??" He is in his late 20s I think... but a few weeks after that he never showed up to choir... So who knows what happened but that killed me. One thing in private but this was in front of 30 people who i call friends.

That and my mother just kept saying to lose my "pooch"
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of getting diabetes and I almost hit a weight that I'd only hit before when I was 8 months pregnant.
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    I was talking to a friend about hiking and realized that if I stayed the weight I was and I would never actually be able to do it. I decided right then and there to make a lifestyle change and what started out as a diet is now a full blown life changing experience...
  • sarahbethfit233
    Options
    I got into a fight with a friend when I was 12 or 13 and every time we argued, she brought up my weight as an insult. So that summer, I lost about 25 lbs.
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's a great question. I've never been THIS heavy, but when I was heavier in the past, I was in my twenties and didn't feel it so much physically. Now I am 36, I travel quite a bit for my job, on my feet pretty much all day, and I FEEL IT. And I hate how physically uncomfortable I am in my own body. For me at this point it is all about health; how cute I look is secondary (although being able to wear cute dresses again will be quite nice!) .

Caro
  • ashtynplatt
    ashtynplatt Posts: 364
    Options
    Well, not fitting into my pants anymore for one. But, one morning I woke up and I was like "IM DONE! I am done eating and feeling like this!" That was about a month and a half ago,and so far I have lost 7 pounds :)
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Start by managing your food intake. Make a diet plan or rather a lifestyle plan that's realistic and one that you can follow. Once you start seeing results I'm betting you get more motivated.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    my husband told me that i am built like my mom
    my mom was 300+ lbs and had gastric bypass surgery about 8 years ago
    my husband did not know my mom when she was heavy, so he probably didn't realize was his comment insinuates.
    the most i have ever weighed is 130, and that def. comes from my dad, i was also around 100lbs until i turned 20, and then spent the next 5 years building up to and then staying between 125 and 130, so i decided that before it got out of control i would just nip it in the bud!
    i also want to have a baby in the next couple years and want to be in great shape beforehand so its easier to get back in shape afterward
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I didn't recognize the girl looking back at me in the mirror...