Ladies: Best Way To Approach You In The Gym?

Options

Replies

• susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    Is that really you in your profile pic? because if it is im pretty sure she won't mind you speaking to her!!!!! SWOON!!!!! :smile:
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it would be creepy. I'd totally talk to a hot guy who approached me at the gym. Hell, I'm checking him out so why should it be creepy that he's checking me out?

Just make sure not to "sneak up". I've always got earbuds in and music going full blast, so a little shoulder tap or something if she's rocking some tunes. Then just lead off with "How's it going?" or something similarly cheesy. :tongue:
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    Is that really you in your profile pic? because if it is im pretty sure she won't mind you speaking to her!!!!! SWOON!!!!! :smile:

100 percent agree with this. :laugh:
  • DonniesGirl69
    Options

Also.....this. LOL
  • darnnells
    darnnells Posts: 37
    Options
    I hate to be approached by guys at the gym or even stared at. Please don't do it. Save yourself from being told off or worse yet reported to management, her boyfriend or hubby! LOL!
  • ralena
    ralena Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    trojanbb... LOL!!! ...aint that the truth! I personally would love a guy to walk up, hand me his number (with his name on it) and walk away. Yeah.. let me finish my work out, but believe me... I WOULD BE KILLIN THAT MACHINE and praying the number doesn't smear from my sweat.
  • DonniesGirl69
    Options
    Lord, no wonder a single girl can't get a date......
    Most of these posts would have a guy scared to death to speak to us
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't.

Sorry.

THIS. the gym is not a singles club. it's a gym. the purpose is to get in, exercise, and get out. if i see a guy staring at me while i'm on the treadmill, i feel really uncomfortable and do everything i can to avoid eye contact. so yeah...don't.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    probably after i was done running, if a guy came up to me, and starting flattering me, and saying how great of a run i just did. and then that would start the friendly talk, and open doors ,for getting to know me better.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    The only dude that I was not completely put off by approaching me simply caught me while I was wiping down a bench I had used and simply said "Hi, you're making great progress. Call me if you ever want to talk shop" then simply handed me a business card and bid me g'day.

He made it to date 3 before I got drunk and threw up on his shoes. I call that success.
  • tlonie
    tlonie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Or "I heard you fart during your benchpress. That's some really good intensity."
    [/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ChristaFall
    ChristaFall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The thread "Why aren't more guys ballsy" comes to mind. Hmmm, not sure why. :grumble:

Keep in mind that many people lead busy lives with demanding jobs. For a lot of people there are limited opportunities for social engagement outside of work and the gym. A public gym IS a social setting whether you like it or not. Many people look at it as a more wholesome place to find friends and possibly dates than a bar crawling with bimbos or knucklehead guys. A guy is a place where you can meet folks who are dedicated to a common interest (shocking reason to be attracted to someone, I know [sarcasm]. See this site [irony].)

Some of the extremists in this thread need to look into investing in a home gym or going to a small family owned one like the smart lady a few posts up. It might be worth it in order to avoid wasting so much energy and frustration putting on a b***hface front. Do everyone a favor and wear a shirt with "F-off" printed front and back then you can ditch the unsavory, miserable, uptight, frustrated demeanor.

I don't talk to people at the gym. not because I don't want to, but because I am shy. i do know that some guys are 'creepers' not because they're really creeps but because they're sick of the mixed signals and the results that can be contrary to the signals. they just adopt a ham fisted approach figuring something may come out of it, and if it doesn't... well at least not much time/effort was wasted trying to figure her out.

If anyone sees me at the gym... come talk to me. :smile: :glasses:

Well said! Totally agree! If I was single, I wouldn't mind at all. It's a social setting for gods sake..geez.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The girls who are smiling, wearing pink victoria secret attire and flouncing on the treadmill or eliptical are the ones who want to be hit on. The chicks bench pressing, sweating buckets and have angry faces are the ones that dont want to be hit on.

Best you can do is try to make eye contact with her and smile when you see her. Maybe she will come around.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Lord, no wonder a single girl can't get a date......
    Most of these posts would have a guy scared to death to speak to us

There's a lot of creeps to be had at the gym. Especially the ones that stare at me while I use the inner/outer thigh machines :( you can't blame me for being a bit skeptical.
    The girls who are smiling, wearing pink victoria secret attire and flouncing on the treadmill or eliptical are the ones who want to be hit on. The chicks bench pressing, sweating buckets and have angry faces are the ones that dont want to be hit on.

Best you can do is try to make eye contact with her and smile when you see her. Maybe she will come around.

Pretty good way to put it...except I might be wearing pink VS whilst sweating angry buckets on the bench press...pretty sure nobody notices what I'm wearing except that its soaked though
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    So this is a question I've long since wondered about. From time to time you cross a pretty girl in the gym and you assume she has similar interests and are curious to learn more about her...So how do you initiate a conversation without sending the wrong message/signals?

Pretend this is a person who you've made continual eye contact a few-several times with. They appear friendly...but you both constantly have your music in and move with purpose...presumably because you've both just gotten out of work and want to finish up your duties as soon as possible. He comes up to you and leads off with....?

Hey, whats up?
    Come here often?
    Nice Nike's?

Ok, so I haven't read all the comments but I must say, this is an interesting topic/question. As some have said, many women are in a rush, getting their sweat on and just want to get the heck out of there... not interested in talking to a guy when looking like crap. However, you said that the two of you have made eye contact several times! That's the clincher! If she wasn't into you, she would have made eye contact with you ONCE and then made a point to ignore you after that. The fact that she is still looking at you tells me she's interested and chances are she's not going to make a move and is dying for you to acknowledge her further. Since you are both listening to your ipods, she's not going to hear the three comments you suggested above (which, by the way, I wouldn't go with any of those). Instead, make a point to walk past her when she is also walking (so that your eyes will naturally meet) and mouth "Hi!" and keep walking. She won't be able to hear you but will be able to head your lips. If she likes you, a simple "hi" will let her know you're into her too. Step two, for the next few work-outs, leave the ipod at home and continue the "hi" thing. If/when she's willing to talk to you, she will "forget" hers at home too ;) When she does forget the ipod, the door opens up to a comment like "No music today?" (with a smile). She'll know you're interested! Good luck!

I don't think so...What would the ideal guy say?
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Follow these steps to have HER initiate the conversation.

1. If she is on the treadmil, jump on it behind her and try to keep up.
    2. Work out next to her and grab either her towel or bottle of water then walk away.
    3. If she is bench pressing, put your crotch right over her head and start spotting her.
    4. If she is doing free weights, grab the ones she is walking towards no matter how light or heavy.
    5. if she goes to lay on a bench, lay down first, same with a chair, sit first.
    6. When you pass her in the hallway, keep getting in her way while she tries to pass or move real close to squeeze her between you and the wall.
    7. If she is working out and sweating really bad, wait for her to close her eyes, then start dabbing the sweat off of her.

If YOU want to initiate the conversation:
    1. Treadmill, easy just do the one next to her and and ask her how to get started.
    2. Free weights, ask her to spot you then just keep staring at her, especially bench pressing, try to raise your head and blow a puff of air when she spots you.
    3. In the hallway maneuver, grab her hands and start twirling her and comment how much you would like to take her dancing.
    4. If you see her sweating or looking thirsty, offer your bottle of water (wipe it off first).
    5. Offer to share your towel.
    6. Last, when you see her walking into the locker room, offer her to use YOUR shower at HOME.

If any of these work, PLEASE let me know, I will write a book.....!!!!

Good luck and if you try this please make a video, I would love to see the results.
  • 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok, ignore all the girls saying DON'T. If you make eye contact and she looks away, than yeah, don't approach her. But if you smile at her and she smiles back, that's a good sign. It's probably not a good idea to walk up to her while she's working out and interrupt her, so wait to speak to her when she's about to leave the gym, i.e. done with her workout. Don't leave at the same time, because that would be creepy, and maybe don't walk right up to her and stand in her path, but just say "Hi, how are you" in passing and see how she reacts. It's good to let her know you're interested, and then see if she makes eye contact with you next time you're at the gym. Just break the ice and see if she immediately puts another wall up.

I definitely think it's nice to say hi to people you're interested in getting to know. Why not meet people at the gym? You clearly do have some interest in common! The gym is a community, folks. If we keep cutting out social interactions in public places, we're all going to end up alone in front of our computers!
  • DonniesGirl69
    Options
    Follow these steps to have HER initiate the conversation.

1. If she is on the treadmil, jump on it behind her and try to keep up.
    2. Work out next to her and grab either her towel or bottle of water then walk away.
    3. If she is bench pressing, put your crotch right over her head and start spotting her.
    4. If she is doing free weights, grab the ones she is walking towards no matter how light or heavy.
    5. if she goes to lay on a bench, lay down first, same with a chair, sit first.
    6. When you pass her in the hallway, keep getting in her way while she tries to pass or move real close to squeeze her between you and the wall.
    7. If she is working out and sweating really bad, wait for her to close her eyes, then start dabbing the sweat off of her.

If YOU want to initiate the conversation:
    1. Treadmill, easy just do the one next to her and and ask her how to get started.
    2. Free weights, ask her to spot you then just keep staring at her, especially bench pressing, try to raise your head and blow a puff of air when she spots you.
    3. In the hallway maneuver, grab her hands and start twirling her and comment how much you would like to take her dancing.
    4. If you see her sweating or looking thirsty, offer your bottle of water (wipe it off first).
    5. Offer to share your towel.
    6. Last, when you see her walking into the locker room, offer her to use YOUR shower at HOME.

If any of these work, PLEASE let me know, I will write a book.....!!!!

Good luck and if you try this please make a video, I would love to see the results.

I :heart: this
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Anything you say or do around a woman who isn't interested in you is considered creepy.
    Anything you say or do around a woman who is interested in you is considered attractive.

This is a no-win situation for you.

Just be friendly, talk to staff, talk with friends. Make yourself appear approachable and fun. If she is interested, she will talk to you eventually. If she isn't she will continue ignoring you.

Some women might say that is weak, and they think the man should try and actively pursue them. These women need to get over themselves.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Ok, ignore all the girls saying DON'T. If you make eye contact and she looks away, than yeah, don't approach her. But if you smile at her and she smiles back, that's a good sign. It's probably not a good idea to walk up to her while she's working out and interrupt her, so wait to speak to her when she's about to leave the gym, i.e. done with her workout. Don't leave at the same time, because that would be creepy, and maybe don't walk right up to her and stand in her path, but just say "Hi, how are you" in passing and see how she reacts. It's good to let her know you're interested, and then see if she makes eye contact with you next time you're at the gym. Just break the ice and see if she immediately puts another wall up.

I definitely think it's nice to say hi to people you're interested in getting to know. Why not meet people at the gym? You clearly do have some interest in common! The gym is a community, folks. If we keep cutting out social interactions in public places, we're all going to end up alone in front of our computers!

Yes, ignore all of the people giving their honest feelings! What a great idea! I do agree with what you're saying though, I think the eye contact is the key here to this discussion. I'll have to remember not to look at any of the men while I'm at the gym now :devil: