Ladies: Best Way To Approach You In The Gym?

Options
Easywider
Easywider Posts: 434 Member
So this is a question I've long since wondered about. From time to time you cross a pretty girl in the gym and you assume she has similar interests and are curious to learn more about her...So how do you initiate a conversation without sending the wrong message/signals?

Pretend this is a person who you've made continual eye contact a few-several times with. They appear friendly...but you both constantly have your music in and move with purpose...presumably because you've both just gotten out of work and want to finish up your duties as soon as possible. He comes up to you and leads off with....?

Hey, whats up?
Come here often?
Nice Nike's?

I don't think so...What would the ideal guy say?

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    "Excuse me but are you using that bench?"

Or if she's doing a particularly hard workout just comment on it. Ex: this cute girl was doing a killer ab workout and my husband in a non creepy way told her it was pretty serious.

Oh and if all else fails a small wave and a hi always works.:wink:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that 'while wearing a ski mask' would be a bad idea.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    That is one thing I have no plans to ever do...every girl in the gym looks downright angry and ready to bite every guy's face off if we so much as glance their way.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    That is one thing I have no plans to ever do...every girl in the gym looks downright angry and ready to bite every guy's face off if we so much as glance their way.

Angry workouts burn more calories?
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Smart man. I don't personally know any women who you like being approached at the gym. We're there for a purpose, sweating, tired, etc. Not really the most social situation.
    I would advise any guy against it.. but if you think that the girl is into you as well then you can try to go for it. Personally I just get creeped out and act friendly out of obligation.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't.

Sorry.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    So this is a question I've long since wondered about. From time to time you cross a pretty girl in the gym and you assume she has similar interests and are curious to learn more about her...So how do you initiate a conversation without sending the wrong message/signals?

Pretend this is a person who you've made continual eye contact a few-several times with. They appear friendly...but you both constantly have your music in and move with purpose...presumably because you've both just gotten out of work and want to finish up your duties as soon as possible. He comes up to you and leads off with....?

Hey, whats up?
    Come here often?
    Nice Nike's?

I don't think so...What would the ideal guy say?
    Follow her into the change room. (Disclaimer: I've never tried this technique. If you do, please let me know how things worked out for you)
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think that waiting until she is leaving the gym, maybe in the hallway or something would be a more accepted approach, I get annoyed when guys try to talk to me during my workout... I am there to look ugly, break a sweat and kick my own *kitten*... leave me alone... HAHA
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    just don't
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Guess I am the weird girl in the room because I don't mind at all if a guy comes up to talk to me at the gym. I like when they come to the machine next to me and just strike up conversation. To me it shows they are fearless. Sure you could wait till I leave the gym but to me that's creepy and I think you were too wussy to talk to me earlier.
    To prevent being rude just say "Hey, I don't mean to interrupt your workout, but I saw you from across the room and you caught my eye. You look like you are going strong in your workout, but I would love to hear from you." Slip me your number and tada! Not only have you energized my workout by making me feel all good on the inside, but I will call/text you haha.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Irish_eyes75 Posts: 475
    Options
    just don't

what joy said ;)
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    One thing you do NOT do is ..... Ask some random person that you had seen talking to her; "Do you know her? Is she a cougar?" because the person you maybe asking could turn out to be that woman's 16 year old son!!!!
    True Story!!!! :huh:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    just don't

what joy said ;)
    It's just so freaking creepy.

People wonder why I work out with my "b*tch face"
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe not. When I workout there the last thing I want to do is communicate with others.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Guess I am the weird girl in the room because I don't mind at all if a guy comes up to talk to me at the gym. I like when they come to the machine next to me and just strike up conversation. To me it shows they are fearless. Sure you could wait till I leave the gym but to me that's creepy and I think you were too wussy to talk to me earlier.
    To prevent being rude just say "Hey, I don't mean to interrupt your workout, but I saw you from across the room and you caught my eye. You look like you are going strong in your workout, but I would love to hear from you." Slip me your number and tada! Not only have you energized my workout by making me feel all good on the inside, but I will call/text you haha.
    Or "I heard you fart during your benchpress. That's some really good intensity."
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Based on the way girls look at guys in the gym and threads like this....If I did that, most girls would change gym memberships, report me to the gym management, and then accuse me of being a sexual predator...and then come on MFP and complain about guys not approaching them.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Based on the way girls look at guys in the gym and threads like this....If I did that, most girls would change gym memberships, report me to the gym management, and then accuse me of being a sexual predator...and then come on MFP and complain about guys not approaching them.

:laugh:
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    "Excuse me but are you using that bench?"

Or if she's doing a particularly hard workout just comment on it. Ex: this cute girl was doing a killer ab workout and my husband in a non creepy way told her it was pretty serious.

Oh and if all else fails a small wave and a hi always works.:wink:

THIS! a smile and a wave.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't.

Sorry.

This. Sorry! There's a term a few guy friends of mine have termed girls like me and that's a "gym b***h". I take no offense to it and laugh it off as I'm there to get my business done and that's it and don't care to talk to anyone male or female.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply! It's good to know that their are still some friendly, extroverted people out there. Sounds like a pretty minimally invasive approach that's succinct and honest...Just what I'm going for.