Ladies: Best Way To Approach You In The Gym?

Options

Replies

• REALBIGBATBASTARD
    REALBIGBATBASTARD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What ever you decide to say, just make sure you yell real loud, just in case they have music blasting!
  • blackgirlfit
    blackgirlfit Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Everytime i go to the gym, i always get approached by a guy.

Sometimes it's when i'm leaving the gym, and a guy runs to the door and says "exuse me!! I couldn't help but notice you in there. i didn't want to interupt you but my name is [...], whats yours?"

or while i'm doing reps they would say "how many more sets do you have?" and then a conversation would go on from there

. the best thing you can do is just smile at a girl but don't scare her away. let her get her workout in. and then approach after
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Based on the way girls look at guys in the gym and threads like this....If I did that, most girls would change gym memberships, report me to the gym management, and then accuse me of being a sexual predator...and then come on MFP and complain about guys not approaching them.

Ha.
    True story.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    That is one thing I have no plans to ever do...every girl in the gym looks downright angry and ready to bite every guy's face off if we so much as glance their way.

Smart man. I don't personally know any women who you like being approached at the gym. We're there for a purpose, sweating, tired, etc. Not really the most social situation.
    I would advise any guy against it.. but if you think that the girl is into you as well then you can try to go for it. Personally I just get creeped out and act friendly out of obligation.

This. I'm not at the gym to socialize. Sooo yeah, I'd rather be left alone so I can get my stuff done and head home. :laugh:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when I was single I belonged to a gym. I used to dread walking by the weight room to go to my aerobics class because nine times out of ten, the guys would stop and leer at you. It made my friends and I sooo uncomfortable. I thought it was creepy then and still do. Although at my age, I doubt there would be much leering going on. :laugh:
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Guess I am the weird girl in the room because I don't mind at all if a guy comes up to talk to me at the gym. I like when they come to the machine next to me and just strike up conversation. To me it shows they are fearless. Sure you could wait till I leave the gym but to me that's creepy and I think you were too wussy to talk to me earlier.
    To prevent being rude just say "Hey, I don't mean to interrupt your workout, but I saw you from across the room and you caught my eye. You look like you are going strong in your workout, but I would love to hear from you." Slip me your number and tada! Not only have you energized my workout by making me feel all good on the inside, but I will call/text you haha.

I wouldn't be put off either. I think if a guy's interested enough to approach me when I look my worst, then he probably deserves to be given a chance to see me at my best. I'd call. Can't make any judgments on what happens from there, but I'd be stoked about that initial contact, I think.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't.

Sorry.

This would be my answer.

I'm there to workout... and thats it.

I've caught guys staring at me as I do things, so I started staring at them first. They prob. think I'm creepy but at least it stopped them staring at me!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    That is one thing I have no plans to ever do...every girl in the gym looks downright angry and ready to bite every guy's face off if we so much as glance their way.

Angry workouts burn more calories?

It does take more muscles to frown than it does to smile.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    So here is a good rule of thumb men. If you insist on bothering females at the gym.

Only bother the ones who are smiling.

DO NOT bother the ones with "b*tch face". Their face is that way for a reason.
    So you won't talk to them.

And women if you really want to be hit on at the gym, smile.
  • RyleeNoelle
    RyleeNoelle Posts: 361
    Options
    The key is to simply not be creepy. The gym guys I get irritated with are the ones who stare me down and make overly intense eye contact while I'm running. It's uncomfortable.
    But if I lock eyes with someone and they give me a quick, friendly, NORMAL smile, then it completely changes things.Keep it simple; say hi and ask how she's doing.. And then maybe tell her that she caught your eye, or you admire how dedicated she is to her workout. Something complimentary and not creeperish. Then give her your number and move along.
    Also, read signals! If she is unresponsive or seems at all bothered, drop it.
  • Samanthajane1984
    Options
    For me it really depends on the person. I'm a social butterfly...or so I've been told...but I still know I have the b*#$h face most of the time. I've been going to the same gym for over 3 years and now have gym buddies...most talked to me first but only normally when we need to share a machine or something. I know for a fact that it took a couple over a year to even say hi! They all also know I'm married so I'm good with a little conversation on occasion. There are still creepos at the gym...just don't be one of them!
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The best way is to be subtle about it. I once had a guy who worked for the gym at college ask me out.lol. He used his employment at the front desk to look me up on facebook. If you are going to do it, I think you need to give compliments or be sly in your approach and not come off as desperate. For example, " I always see you working hard over there" or " you are making great progress." The hard part is to distinguish who is married or not because barely anyone wears a ring while working out,IMO! I wish this guy at the gym would ask me out, but I don't think he will :(
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i have wondered the same thing about approaching a guy. You could ask to work in between their sets. There is one guy i see every time I go. obviously he works out every day or almost. haven't. worked up the nerve to say hi yet. besides we are there to workout.a compliment may work if it is honest. I have had some one notice my weight loss. that is an icebreaker.if you think of something, let me know! lol
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I hate getting approached by guys at the gym -.- I go out of my way to avoid it, like keeping my earbuds in when I'm not listening to music.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't.

Sorry.

Pretty much this. I don't like for people to approach me in the gym for anything other than "do you know if anyone is using this" or something along those lines. Maybe stand around out by the entrance or hallway or wherever and see if you can catch her there instead.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

you got it right my friend. but for some reason my angry face doesn't scare them off. they still come and make small talk.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't.

Sorry.

Amen.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

So funny. My husband, dead serious one day, said, "Do you hate me when we play basketball and are on the same team?" I said, "No!?" and then asked why....he said that I look like I hate him and I'm angry the whole time I play. Who knew.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it would be the same advice for either sex.... smile and say hi, but if you don't get any further response then don't take it any further.

I don't usually go to the gym, but when I do, I don't want to be interrupted or hit on. Other people may have a different agenda though, so all you can do is make a polite approach and only keep going if you get an actual response.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Aww. I'm hoping to meet my future husband in the gym. Approach me. It's fine. :)