Ladies: Best Way To Approach You In The Gym?

Options

Replies

• sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Apparently @ your own risk....SHEESH....Ladies please be more open...OMG. I love meeting people no matter where I am. If I meet a guy at the gym I feel like that is an instant workout buddy....we clearly have at least 1 important...common interest.

I really dont understand all the just donts...

I say be the same as I would suggest in any social setting....Talk to her just strike up a conversat. On the way out she may be more open...but I love a man of action so you may meet a woman who is impressed that you didnt let the opportunity slip to converse with her.

I say go for it....if it dosent work, it was not meant to be....

Back to the ladies....I also go to the gym for a purpose...I go anywhere for a purpose but if I get to meet someone new during my regular happenings of the day..that is great!
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    Don't. I'm there to work out and I only have 60 minutes to do so!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym for a purpose as well but that's not to say I'm not going to stop and say hello or fail to acknowledge you and give you the "look of death" because you interrupted me. Just don't try and talk to me when you can clearly see I can't speak during cardio or I'm in the middle of a set. In between sets when I'm resting go ahead and chat me up. I'm friendly.

Are you ladies the same when say you're grocery shopping because you're "there for a purpose" and "don't talk to me because I have limited time to get my shopping done"? Not every guy who talks to you is trying to hit on you and yeah, if you wear your b*tch face all the time NO ONE is going to approach you and then you'll be putting up posts wondering why guys aren't more "ballsy" because even I wouldn't approach a woman who looked like she was going to tear my head off, even if her skirt was tucked into her nylons and I'd be doing her a favor. I'd be too scared to say anything! Sorry! You're on your own!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't.

Sorry.

I'll agree...I don't think the gym is the place. Sad to say, but I don't think people are in the frame of mind at the same time.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    somebody can always tell you are interested. no need for cheesey pickup lines.
    what you do is catch up to her as shes walking out and ask her if shes attached... that should start it all off.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would be very flattered if someone approached me at the gym. If I were single, that is pretty much the only place you will find me in public during the week. I have an hour and a half time limit on child care and I have my routines planned out each day and have to attack it in the right order to get it all in. If we are on the bike next to each other or whatever machine, heck yeah, say something. I love meeting new people.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Guess I am the weird girl in the room because I don't mind at all if a guy comes up to talk to me at the gym. I like when they come to the machine next to me and just strike up conversation. To me it shows they are fearless. Sure you could wait till I leave the gym but to me that's creepy and I think you were too wussy to talk to me earlier.
    To prevent being rude just say "Hey, I don't mean to interrupt your workout, but I saw you from across the room and you caught my eye. You look like you are going strong in your workout, but I would love to hear from you." Slip me your number and tada! Not only have you energized my workout by making me feel all good on the inside, but I will call/text you haha.

Then call me weird too! I'm with you totally. I have NO problem approaching somebody if I'm interested and wish they would do the same.
  • sheila569
    Options
    I'm at the gym for a purpose as well but that's not to say I'm not going to stop and say hello or fail to acknowledge you and give you the "look of death" because you interrupted me. Just don't try and talk to me when you can clearly see I can't speak during cardio or I'm in the middle of a set. In between sets when I'm resting go ahead and chat me up. I'm friendly.

Are you ladies the same when say you're grocery shopping because you're "there for a purpose" and "don't talk to me because I have limited time to get my shopping done"? Not every guy who talks to you is trying to hit on you and yeah, if you wear your b*tch face all the time NO ONE is going to approach you and then you'll be putting up posts wondering why guys aren't more "ballsy" because even I wouldn't approach a woman who looked like she was going to tear my head off, even if her skirt was tucked into her nylons and I'd be doing her a favor. I'd be too scared to say anything! Sorry! You're on your own!
    LOL, loved your comment.
    I agree, if I'm panting you may want to wait until I hit "pause" before you try the "come here often" line :laugh:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    So this is a question I've long since wondered about. From time to time you cross a pretty girl in the gym and you assume she has similar interests and are curious to learn more about her...So how do you initiate a conversation without sending the wrong message/signals?

Pretend this is a person who you've made continual eye contact a few-several times with. They appear friendly...but you both constantly have your music in and move with purpose...presumably because you've both just gotten out of work and want to finish up your duties as soon as possible. He comes up to you and leads off with....?

Hey, whats up?
    Come here often?
    Nice Nike's?

I don't think so...What would the ideal guy say?

Well the difficult thing is that it's a gym, so the situation itself is not condusive to a girl wanting to be asked out (this is my own personal opinion and may not be the same for ALL women), but when I'm sweaty and working hard, i don't feel annoyed by someone talking to me so much as feeling awkward...All I would be able to think is "man...I wish I wasn't gross right now. I look so much better when I'm showered with clean clothes and makeup"...I would be less likely to be open to talking and probably be more shy if someone approached me at the gym.

That being said, I'm engaged to....a guy I met in karate class. So, it can happen :)

I would approach it casually like someone else said-you using that? Or even if you're worried about coming off the wrong way, just say something complimentary and then give her the opportunity to talk to you later when she's cleaned up. "I've seen you here a couple times before-I didn't want to bother you but...would you like to get together sometime after you're done working out?" I dunno...I'm horrible at the whole flirting thing...

Worst that can happen is she says no...sorry if my advice isn't very helpful :(
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Just tell me my *kitten* looks smaller than last week and I am all yours!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be hit on at the gym. Ever.

I also hate it when people I don't know try to make conversation with me.

I'm so not your target audience. lol.. But you probably wouldn't be hitting on me anyway.

Good luck.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That is one thing I have no plans to ever do...every girl in the gym looks downright angry and ready to bite every guy's face off if we so much as glance their way.

pfft, I know how sexy my lifting face is! :bigsmile:
  • sheila569
    Options
    Just tell me my *kitten* looks smaller than last week and I am all yours!

THIS TOO:drinker:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    For me, don't. I am married, but I usually don't wear a ring to the gym because (1) I don't want to damage it (2) it causes callouses when I lift and (3) I don't want to risk losing it in the pool. So just because she looks single doesn't mean she is. Not to mention it is annoying to be checked out and chatted at when you have headphones in, what else do I have to do to label myself as uninterested??!?

If you absolutely HAVE to meet that girl, I say try catching her on her way out of the gym, that way you aren't messing with her routine.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've had a few guys approach me at the gym, and none of them were rude/annoying/creepy. The douchey guys tend to just try and show off how much they can bench then throw their dumbbells on the ground to draw attention. THAT'S annoying.

But anyway, one of the guys, who I've become friends with, we chit chat for a minute every time I see him, saw me wearing a race t-shirt and asked me about the race and if I'm planning on doing any more. Great conversation starter, and now we chat about other races we're planning on doing.

Another guy waited until I was done with a set of deadlifts to compliment me on workout. He said "I see you every evening working really hard, very impressive! What's your max??" So now he's a gym friend, too. Another complimented me on my weight loss and told me I'm doing a great job (I'd literally never spoken to him, but he noticed my transformation since we come to the gym at the same time every day).

I guess I don't look angry enough when I work out lol

ETA: I have a boyfriend, and I don't put off that single girl vibe, nobody's asked for my # or anything like that, but if any of them did I'd politely say that I have a boyfriend (the one that I chat about races with knows I have a bf, he has a gf too). I go to the gym to work out, too, socializing is not my goal while I'm there, but I guess I'm just a really social person and I like making friends everywhere I go!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I'd rather not be hit on at the gym. I'm there to work out. I'm not dolled up and looking for a date...not even slightly. That said, I go to the gym alone and although I am happiest that way, I don't mind a little conversation. I've had guys ask about my workout schedule, offer assistance on a difficult motion, and even give up the good bench for me. People are friendly, they ask how my workout was, ask how was my day, etc. Small talk, but no one has ever made an advance, they just go along with their lives after pleasant interactions. It's ideal really.

If you really want to get to know this lady, don't make her feel like a piece of meat to be oogled. I can say it's uncomfortable to witness eyes on your caboose while squatting. Offer to spot her while she lifts so she can lift heavier? Build a friendly, casual relationship with her and see where that leads?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Offer to spot her while she lifts so she can lift heavier? Build a friendly, casual relationship with her and see where that leads?

^^ This.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I think I actually love the receptionist at my gym haha, my friend winds me up something rotten, I dont think its cool to hit on people at the gym, but then again, lifes also short, I say, if you feel it will lead to happy outcome, go for it, if you feel unsure, turn away, get your head into your training and just appreciate that person you find attracives physical appearance in the mind lol
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Start with easy, not creepy eye contact. See if she is noticing you too. After a few times of eye contact and a nice smile, then approach. Not right in the middle of a workout but maybe towards the end or before she leaves. Just be honest and tell her you noticed her. Just like you would anywhere else. You are a good looking guy and she might be noticing you too. You won't know until you try
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree that commenting on her progress or a particular tough workout is a good way to go. A "nice set!" gets you in the door. I don't get hit on at the gym, but the guys who have talked to me have always started with something like this. One guy commented on how I could do a heavier lift than he could on the leg press machine (and then quickly told me it was because of a recent injury...little did he know I was healing from one myself). Another guy told me as I ended some laps in the pool, "You're a strong swimmer!" I think compliments like that are a good way to start off a conversation. It shows that you have interest because you've "noticed" them in the gym without being all cheesy. And it's always best in between sets or after a workout when the girl is done doing what needs to be done.