Ladies: Best Way To Approach You In The Gym?

Options

Replies

• SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I use a 30lb dumbell and take it to the side of their head, drag them out by the hair and into my car. Never had any trouble with that.

Or, "Hello." before the workout always works...just hello and a smile. If they got time and they like what they see, they'll make time for you.

Now I'm singing Lionel Richie...
  • masked_habit
    Options
    It's quite simple...don't do it. That's why I wear my *kitten* (this site censors everything) face when I go to the gym. I'm not there to get hit on, I'm there to workout and it's my me time where I don't have to be social. I've always thought it was creepy when guys kept looking at me in the gym or even smiled at me. I just think when a guy keeps looking over at me that it's just another place I have to deal with some *kitten* checking me out or thinking about how to hit on me.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Women go to the gym to work out, and thats the last place they want to be hit on!! Not to mention, she will wonder if you are watching her all the time, making her more self aware of what shes doing, and it will make her uncomfortable.

So many mixed messages in this thread. Now I just need some invention that tells me which women are normal and which are total b*tches in the gym
    It's quite simple...don't do it. That's why I wear my *kitten* (this site censors everything) face when I go to the gym. I'm not there to get hit on, I'm there to workout and it's my me time where I don't have to be social. I've always thought it was creepy when guys kept looking at me in the gym or even smiled at me. I just think when a guy keeps looking over at me that it's just another place I have to deal with some *kitten* checking me out or thinking about how to hit on me.

So a guy's an *kitten* for smiling at a girl he thinks is attractive? kind of extreme, no?
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    I reckon when she's taking a water break, or setting up/packing away her workout stuff may be a better time. I get irritated if people talk to me during a workout because it distracts me and catches me off guard most of the time. But that's only because I feel gross and tired, and want to get it done as soon as possible, especially after I'm doing with work or college. So any breaks or when she's not busy is better than interrupting her - at least that would be what I'd prefer. :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly acceptable to approach a girl who is in full make-up, hair done, matching outfit, and she's glancing around while casually RUNNING on a 3.5 setting on the treadmill. barely breaks a sweat, continues for 5 minutes, gets off, stretches for 25 minutes and then leaves.

THESE are the girls that are there to be hit on!!!

girls with serious sweat and a mission, you'd better not so much interrupt anything!!!

Thats fully unfair :( - like - **** blocking effing mean- kinda unfair.

I go to the gym in black and grey and baggy tank etc to lift and lift heavy and leave looking like Ive been gangbangeded. But I also am single and know that if I spend time doing the things I love to do, and working on goals that are important to me- then Im much more likely to run into men that are also doing what they love and working on goals that are important to them and those things will be similar to mine! So if a sexy guy walks up to me at the gym and starts a fitness-related conversation while Im waiting for a machine or getting water or signing in or waiting on the bathroom or im cooling down on the treadmill or stretching.... Im going to absolutely want to keep talking to him and hopefully he'll be leaving around the same time as me and we can GO GET A DAMN CHOCOLATE MILK

**** blockers. want men to assume that every chick in the gym is either a brainless flufftard or a married woman on the edge of her seat ready to man-bash.

yo there are normal friggin women in the middle still.

TRUUUEEEEEE STORY.

It's not that I go to the gym thinking "I sure hope I get hit on today!" but if I do, I'm cool with it. I will get my sweat on regardless of if I get hit on or not, so what's the harm in a guy acting on his attraction to me?? Even though I've got a boyfriend, I don't wear a sign on my forehead that says "DON'T TALK TO ME, I'M TAKEN" and hell, I find it flattering to be flirted with or hit on no matter where I am, as long as it's done in a respectful and non-creeper way.

Oh, and I usually have on cute matching gym clothes and some makeup (because I go to the gym after work, I don't put it on specifically for the gym), and I'm still there to work my butt off. Whatevs.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym but no one would talk there! It was so boring I quit going and do all my exercising at home now. I wish someone would have wanted to socialize with me... makes the time go by faster and more fun! I am married and not looking for a boyfriend, but a little chit chat is nice!
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it's such a big deal. Someone noticing you is a compliment isn't it? I would take it as such. And if she shuts the conversation down then you know she's not interested. Nothing to lose in my book. Good luck!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When a girl is trying to do squats or pull ups, just give her a spot. She won't ask for one because of pride, so just walk up behind her and put your hands on her *kitten* (you could go hips, but *kitten* is more intimate, it tells her you're interested in more than friendship, a major turn on). Provide support as needed, she'll be extremely grateful when she's finished her set, you'll be in for sure.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    just say hi, i will chat to anyone who is friendly! man or woman! x
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So this is a question I've long since wondered about. From time to time you cross a pretty girl in the gym and you assume she has similar interests and are curious to learn more about her...So how do you initiate a conversation without sending the wrong message/signals?

Pretend this is a person who you've made continual eye contact a few-several times with. They appear friendly...but you both constantly have your music in and move with purpose...presumably because you've both just gotten out of work and want to finish up your duties as soon as possible. He comes up to you and leads off with....?

Hey, whats up?
    Come here often?
    Nice Nike's?

I don't think so...What would the ideal guy say?
    How about a nice smile, some polite manners, and a kind comment, like..."good-morning, how are you? Are you having a nice workout?"

I am not looking, obviously, but I know that a man who is comfortable enough with himself and his own ability to have good manners and just have a normal communication, is the best start! If she's kinda uptight, and cannot react favorably to a basic communication, it is not your bad.

Get used to being polite and comfortable, to be basically minding your own business, but if you are interested in someone, be able to be approachable, interested in basic friendliness. I Love those kind of smiles.

Even tho I am not available, I do like to be around men who can just be comfortable and friendly, who have good things going on for themselves, and are getting in a good workout. The same would be true if I were single.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Everytime i go to the gym, i always get approached by a guy.

Sometimes it's when i'm leaving the gym, and a guy runs to the door and says "exuse me!! I couldn't help but notice you in there. i didn't want to interupt you but my name is [...], whats yours?"

or while i'm doing reps they would say "how many more sets do you have?" and then a conversation would go on from there

. the best thing you can do is just smile at a girl but don't scare her away. let her get her workout in. and then approach after

I agree with this....I haven't been "approached" in the gym, but I have had conversation a few times while watching a gameshow or something - just harmless. I usually have earphones in, so I don't pay attention to whom is around me. If you want until after the workout, I would be more inclined to talk. A smile and wave is a good idea too.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    All these ladies saying that they're not at the gym to be hit on...well, are you really ANYWHERE (besides maybe a bar on girls night out) with the intention of being hit on? I know I don't go to the grocery store with the purpose of getting hit on, or to the gas station, or to Target, or wherever...but I have gotten hit on at all of these places. So? I don't see what the big deal is as long as a guy isn't being creepy.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So this is a question I've long since wondered about. From time to time you cross a pretty girl in the gym and you assume she has similar interests and are curious to learn more about her...So how do you initiate a conversation without sending the wrong message/signals?

Pretend this is a person who you've made continual eye contact a few-several times with. They appear friendly...but you both constantly have your music in and move with purpose...presumably because you've both just gotten out of work and want to finish up your duties as soon as possible. He comes up to you and leads off with....?

Hey, whats up?
    Come here often?
    Nice Nike's?

I don't think so...What would the ideal guy say?
    I wouldn't be pissed if someone approached me at the gym. I live in the country, where meeting people is hard enough. I think "Hey what's up" is fine. Probably better to wait until she's done her workout. Maybe buy her a bottle of water if she doesn't already have one.
  • Raivynsblood
    Raivynsblood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Guess I am the weird girl in the room because I don't mind at all if a guy comes up to talk to me at the gym. I like when they come to the machine next to me and just strike up conversation. To me it shows they are fearless. Sure you could wait till I leave the gym but to me that's creepy and I think you were too wussy to talk to me earlier.
    To prevent being rude just say "Hey, I don't mean to interrupt your workout, but I saw you from across the room and you caught my eye. You look like you are going strong in your workout, but I would love to hear from you." Slip me your number and tada! Not only have you energized my workout by making me feel all good on the inside, but I will call/text you haha.

this!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I would be stoked if a hottie came over to chat me up while I was working out. Shows he appreciates a woman that isn't afraid to sweat. If he thinks you're super hot while you're at the gym then he's gonna love it when you get cleaned up.

I do recommend waiting until she's completed her workout. Keep and eye out for her to leave and stop her then. As far as what to start with, I'd say go with an observation. Or hell, just dive right in. "Hey, I was wondering if you had time for a post workout smoothie, my treat?" If she's got plans already, ask her for a rain check and give her your number (have it already written down if you can). That way you aren't putting too much pressure on her and if she likes you she can call you.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    hm... if you don't want to interrupt her, catch her on her walk out? not really sure. i don't go to the gym anymore. when i workout at home, my husband generally comes and smacks me on the butt and pretends to hump me. not cool when i'm already pissy as hell doing p90x. *kitten*. LOL
    for the short time i went to a gym, i was only approached once. before saying a word to me, he followed me around the gym to different machines watching me. when he spoke to me and asked if i was married, i told him yes and was polite and put my earbuds back in my ear and kept about my business. he continued to follow me. i don't suggest you stalk her throughout the gym. LOL just sayin'. ;)
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    When a girl is trying to do squats or pull ups, just give her a spot. She won't ask for one because of pride, so just walk up behind her and put your hands on her *kitten* (you could go hips, but *kitten* is more intimate, it tells her you're interested in more than friendship, a major turn on). Provide support as needed, she'll be extremely grateful when she's finished her set, you'll be in for sure.

God I hope you're joking. I really hope you're joking. Because any random dude that grabs my *kitten* saying he's trying to "spot" me at the gym would get a swift backhand to the face. No joke.
  • fiercelittlebird
    fiercelittlebird Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I guess I'm another "weird" girl out there. I'm at the gym to sweat and get my workout in, but a smile and a "hey how are ya" while you use the machine next to me isn't offensive or creepy to me. If I think you're attractive I'm gonna reply with, "I'm fine, how are you?" If I am not interested I'll respond with "I'm fine, thanks." Not asking the same question back, to me, should signal that I don't want the conversation to move further.
    DON'T say things like "I've been watching you while you workout..." or "come to this gym often?" that makes you seem like a creepy creeperton and it won't get a positive response.
    Just my opinion :)
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think that waiting until she is leaving the gym, maybe in the hallway or something would be a more accepted approach, I get annoyed when guys try to talk to me during my workout... I am there to look ugly, break a sweat and kick my own *kitten*... leave me alone... HAHA

This^^^^....If you mess up my groove and/or intensity it's a non-starter. Catch me after, you would get a better response.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Women go to the gym to work out, and thats the last place they want to be hit on!! Not to mention, she will wonder if you are watching her all the time, making her more self aware of what shes doing, and it will make her uncomfortable.

^ that woman is only talking about herself, she isnt speaking for the rest of us I SWEARTAGAWD.

I feel like im on a mission here just hoping some nutter here goes to my gym and can take the good news back to everyone else that all those myths about not hitting on girls at the gym are untrue.

It's not sour, some of us don't need men flirting with us acting like tramps to validate ourselves. If the roles were reversed I'm sure there be more men feeling the same way. My guy friends hate chatty people at the gym just as much as I do.