Anyone Have 'Want To Eat Everything' Days ?

Options
13»

Replies

• mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I had one of those today, my first one in a while, and I ate everything I saw. Seriously, animal crackers, chocolate, vegetable soup, watermelon, 4 hot wings, a taquito, 6 inch sub from subway, chocolate chip m&m cookie, now I'm having homemade beef ravioli with sauce. It was a very, very, very bad day for me.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,230 Member
    Options
    My best friend has a name for those days..."wolf mania". Nothing satisfies you. You're "wolfing down" everything and can't stop:)
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yup, that was me today!

Party at work, amazing food = way WAY over my calories. I just ate 2 days worth of calories. X_X

I haven't been this bad in over a month....so I'll be ok!

There are days when I'm like that and I'll munch on carrots or a few low calorie crackers.
  • Nfairley
    Nfairley Posts: 84
    Options
    I have the problem a lot, I think it's due to a stomach ulcer combined with overindulgent tendencies.
    I found myself salivating over a cheeseburger this afternoon, had every intention of buying it too...but things didn't work out that way. I had something considerable healthier and my craving is gone. I think it's easier for me to control when I get enough water in me
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Weekends are free game for me, just keep a mental note to make sure you aren't over eating.

Sticking to a diet 5 days on and slight variations for 2 days still works, let yourself be a bit more free in the weekend, it won't hurt =]

I've lost 20kg so far, and I eat some pretty bad things over the weekend, cake, ice cream etc, but it's all in moderation.

Another way to go is to have an off day every couple of weeks or so, 1 day where you eat what ever the hell you like, then back to the diet.

Also if you think you are hungry have a glass of water and wait 10 minutes, sometimes you can mistake hunger for thirst =]

GOOD advice! I take Sundays "off" which makes it easier to say no during the week. Also, I try to plan on making or getting foods (that are better for me than pizza) for dinner or dessert that I can look forward to every day that fit into my calorie & health goals, so that when I say NO to a crappy store bought cookie from the break room, I'm actually saying YES!! to dark chocolate bits on some frozen yogurt later. ;) Also try the 50% Rule: Eat half. SLOWLY. Then if you're still hungry, eat half of the half. And so on. The trick is to eat slowly and really savor it (if it's not something worth savoring, it's not something worth eating). Usually you find that half of a donut is enough of a donut with that approach.

Also, what's wrong with eggs on toast? I eat poached eggs & a piece of toast every single day!

Too much of that sort of thing seems to give me a heavy, leaden feeling in my belly even though I used to be able to have a sandwich everyday with no issues. But also, I suppose, I have been influenced a lot by the whole 'grains are bad' arguments, and the fact that people seem to lose weight better when not eating things like bread. It was a food, that if I had any in the home, I would get through 4 slices of toast and marmite before bed, lol. But now, even when out I stall at having some eggs on toast in a cafe or bread products. I don't eat pasta now, or potatoes or rice really either, I used to and oddly my weight was lower when I had potatoes and rice with meals, than since I cut those and had more protein.

I think some issue for me, is that my diet is really boring. I generally am not a cook (other than bean stews sometimes) and I sort of went into eating clean, and end up now mostly living on cottage cheese, eggs, boiled fish, boiled vegetables, fruit and greek yoghurt. I cut out the veggie burgers, the veggie sausages, the quorn, any packaged vegetarian product I used to make meals out of, basically, and lets face it, plain boiled fish and vegetables for dinner most evenings isn't exactly inspiring, but if you aren't a cook, you are limited trying to eat clean.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I get days where I walk into a cafe for a coffee and find myself longing to just get a meal (usually when I have been cycling), like eggs on toast followed by dessert, or a baked potato and ice cream, then wondering how on earth people manage 'cheat' meals or days, in the sense of, how do they choose what to have if there are so many things they like and keep away from the rest of the week ?

There are so many foods I like, that I avoid mostly due to trying to keep it clean, including chocolate, cake, doughnuts, pizza, ice cream and yes, even sandwiches, eggs on toast and baked potatoes with fillings (never been a fan of burgers really though and not a big pizza eater) . It is a shame there is no way to integrate them into a diet when you are trying to ensure you get plenty of fruit and veggies and healthy proteins each day, without going over on calories.

I don't have that problem. After researching what hormones control appetite and hunger, and getting those in control, I no longer have that problem. It's quite liberating.
  • brandilacey
    Options
    You can still have pizza and fit it in your calories! You just gotta be smart about it...use wheat pita bread, a litle sauce, a little ricotta chz, little mozz. and some fresh toppings. I use spinach and tomato then top with italian herbs. It's around 400 calories, give or take a little depending on what I have on hand. And it's delicious! No, it's not the same as Papa John's or anything like that, but you will feel good after eating it, not bloated, greasy and tired. There are some ice cream sandwhiches, like skinny cow, you could treat yourself to once a week and fit it in no problem. For chocolate, have you ever tried True North nut clusters? The chocolate one...OMG LOVE Them. It gives me a sweet fix and lots of nuts. Also, chocolate whey protein powder in a smoothie with cherries, cinnamon and milk. YUM.

But for your question, absolutely! It's usually when I am about to start/first 2 days. I feel insatiable. Eat some good things like quinoa, avocado and nuts with your meals to help keep you full. Foods high in fiber may help your overeating. I so know the feeling, and sometimes nothing helps and I feel a little depressed bc I just really want a big mac and a banana split. I have at times used those moments to get some frozen custard, chocolate with fresh strawberries mixed it, it really helps and if I order a small, it keeps me from going too crazy with food.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Me for the last two days :(
  • socialyte1
    Options
    Some ppl have already suggested this ... but try eating things you like in moderation. As i sit here writing this i am eating my favorite candy... Mamba's. I sometimes make room for it in my calories if i have had an intense workout. You have to allow yourself a few goodies here n there. Girl.... go ahead and have you an egg sandwich! :)
  • graelwyn
    Options
    You can still have pizza and fit it in your calories! You just gotta be smart about it...use wheat pita bread, a litle sauce, a little ricotta chz, little mozz. and some fresh toppings. I use spinach and tomato then top with italian herbs. It's around 400 calories, give or take a little depending on what I have on hand. And it's delicious! No, it's not the same as Papa John's or anything like that, but you will feel good after eating it, not bloated, greasy and tired. There are some ice cream sandwhiches, like skinny cow, you could treat yourself to once a week and fit it in no problem. For chocolate, have you ever tried True North nut clusters? The chocolate one...OMG LOVE Them. It gives me a sweet fix and lots of nuts. Also, chocolate whey protein powder in a smoothie with cherries, cinnamon and milk. YUM.

But for your question, absolutely! It's usually when I am about to start/first 2 days. I feel insatiable. Eat some good things like quinoa, avocado and nuts with your meals to help keep you full. Foods high in fiber may help your overeating. I so know the feeling, and sometimes nothing helps and I feel a little depressed bc I just really want a big mac and a banana split. I have at times used those moments to get some frozen custard, chocolate with fresh strawberries mixed it, it really helps and if I order a small, it keeps me from going too crazy with food.

I might try the pizza idea, as my current diet is incredibly boring in terms of dinner. I don't eat a proper lunch anyway, just a few bits and pieces being more of a snacker, but dinner is my main meal and I am a bit bored of boiled fish or avocado with plain vegetables.
    I am Uk based, so don't know of true north or what your version of custard is.
    I suppose having a little cooking knowhow or intuition would help me, so I am not getting bored of my food so much I prefer to eat out just to get some flavour, lol.
  • brandilacey
    Options
    Ah, I see now you don't want to eat grains at all, and probably not processed foods. I am the same way for the most part. I did do without grains for months eating paleo but have since gone vegetarian but I still don't eat a lot of grains but try to have a few a week. I don't want too many processed foods, but minimally processed foods have a decent place in my diet for convienence purposes, and they are not all bad for you.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Lol hell ya we do!

I have those days. Except I have them on purpose so that they don't randomly pop up on me. If I wait and I end up being at home I go overboard. I've had days where I have recorded well over 10000 calories. That is the only time when it's bad. I eat anything appetizing in my house until their is nothing left to hold my interest. So after these little sessions I have to go shopping immediately because there's literally nothing left in my house but canned food.

One thing that helps is purposely eating like that the day before you know you are about to do something big. It might only help for vigorously active people though... I burn 5000+ calories in the 5-10 hours that I'm out Mountain Biking following these binges.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oh god, yes I do.

For me, I'm alloting myself one day a week to rest/refuel (working out six days a week). If I eat what I am truly craving--junk from the Taco Bell or McDonald's or the gas station down the street-- I feel like I could swallow the Earth and still not be satisifed. So even on my rest day, I plan my meals to be somewhat healthy but still have a little bit more of what I like--but homemade stuff. Homemade pizza on a Flat Out. A BLT sandwich on Ezekiel. A chocolate mug cake (about 300 calories). Stuff like that.

But I'm trying to avoid fast food, restaurant food, and packaged goods as much as I possibly can (things like tortillas and cheese exceptions IMO of course). They have almost an addictive quality for me. I could eat an entire Pizza Hut large pepperoni, eight wings and a two liter of soda and still eat a few hours later. But if I have two homemade enchiladas or a big tuna salad, I'm good.

I'm thinking that when I eat crappy food, my body is malnourished and crying out for more. So I don't eat the empty calorie stuff anymore. :smokin:
  • fittrigirl2012
    Options
    That was me today! Kicked in a new workout routine plus running and by 3pm I wanted to eat anything that wasn't tied down... Just have to remember to make smart choices!!! You can do it... drink lots of water and get your self stuff like cukes or grapes to snack on. Just watch your sugars! Good luck!
  • nana2gavin
    nana2gavin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wish I could "like" a lot of these comments. They are very helpful.

Today is day 4 that I have eaten only "one ingredient" foods. If the ingredients on the back list more than one, I'm not eating it. It's a trial run really. No such thing as a "diet" but rather "a lifestyle change". I can't believe how easy it is but then again, I love fruit and veggies plus chicken and fish. Today, I have 595 calories left over and I feel so full there is no way I could attempt to eat them. I NEVER have that problem. I took a kickboxing class at the gym today. I burned 491 calories in 50 minutes. Man it felt good!

Anyway, I know how you feel about wanting to eat everything in a given day. Stay strong and keep within your calories! If you can and you get a craving, take a short walk around your neighborhood. I promise it will work. Sugar free gum is great too!
  • run17
    run17 Posts: 27
    Options
    I am a big believer in not depriving yourself, but only treat yourself to the foods you do not have all the time! I pick healthier versions of "bad foods" like potato chips and ice cream. whenever I feel really hungry I do a massive workout and it usually puts me back on track to eat healthy. Vegetable and fruit smoothies with greek yogurt and whey protein powder keep away the cravings! When I go to a party or a special restaurant, I allow my self to indulge in only the things I rarely ever eat. Like- crab dip, nachos, pasta in cream sauce ect. I know I am not going to have it for a long time so there is no guilt. The next day I double my excercise routine and eat my fruits, veggies and lean proteins. It is a lifestyle not a diet! No diets::grumble:
  • graelwyn
    Options
    I am a big believer in not depriving yourself, but only treat yourself to the foods you do not have all the time! I pick healthier versions of "bad foods" like potato chips and ice cream. whenever I feel really hungry I do a massive workout and it usually puts me back on track to eat healthy. Vegetable and fruit smoothies with greek yogurt and whey protein powder keep away the cravings! When I go to a party or a special restaurant, I allow my self to indulge in only the things I rarely ever eat. Like- crab dip, nachos, pasta in cream sauce ect. I know I am not going to have it for a long time so there is no guilt. The next day I double my excercise routine and eat my fruits, veggies and lean proteins. It is a lifestyle not a diet! No diets::grumble:

There are lots of foods I don't have all the time, lol, unfortunately, hence there are many foods I end up desiring to eat in one go when I am out and about sometimes. Went down the whey protein/casein protein path with greek yoghurt and just ended up with disgusting gas problems and bloated belly, lol. I note here, I am not overweight and never have been overweight, I am actually bottom end of BMI but nevertheless, wish to remain where I am, but not spend the rest of my life living off vegetables, fish, fruit and 1 ingredient foods. In the end, there are many, many people who eat healthy as heck and still die young, and many who eat bread and sugar and live into their 90s. It does make me wonder sometimes.