Is smartphones killing your relationship?

Options

Replies

• jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I find this is true.
    I cannot hang out with most of my friends without them being on their phone's texting people the entire time. I'm sorry but if I'm going to take time out of my day to see you and do stuff with you, you should be polite enough to put the phone away for the time being.

I have a friend who likes to have a bunch of people over to play rock band on occasion, and he will actually be texting while were playing. Don't invite us over if you can't put your phone away for a while. :/

^^^^This, I find this so rude! My 'friends' who are constantly texting while hanging out. if they're so f'in bored by me then why bother coming to visit? a new environment to text in? I'm starting to just tell people who are texting "I'm sorry, I must be interrupting you because you are busy. Call me when you have some time." It's typical the text-addict will act indignant and superior or say something about their 'other friends' and how i'm not their 'ONLY friend'. I just suggest they go hang out with their other friends. I'm too old to deal with *kitten* like that.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    No but the relationship is killing the smartphone! You had that coming Calv! I love ya thought
    Just bored and needed to reply to something before bedtime, I know, sick totally sick.

But for real, My phone does blow up constantly and I'm getting ready to divorce myself if this continues! lol lol or should I say...Laugh out loud..ha ha ....That's going to be my new saying, laugh out loud from here on out, I will be spelling everything out and using correct grammer!

Yours truly
    P-rizzle! 4-shizzle, my nizzle! laugh out loud!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    This was a big issue with my ex and me. We'd go out for a romantic dinner and get all dressed up, and he'd be checking his phone constantly and laughing about whatever was on twitter or whatever. I remember one night when we were in the most romantic place, at night by a lake, and he'd been refreshing a page over and over to see what the score for some basketball game was. And when the game was over, he took a pic of the place we were at and posted it on twitter with #romantic. Which it totally wasn't because of his stupid phone.

I don't mind staying home to watch a basketball game. That's fine. Taking me somewhere nice and trying to keep up with the game the whole time is not fine.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I have this problem as well. I can not ever chill with my friends anymore, they all are on their phones religiously. I dont ever bother trying to hang out with them anymore. Its boring and its stupid to be on your phone all the time. One of my girlfriends just got dumped over her being on her phone all the time. Its a problem and if people dont think it is, ask your friends, im sure they would prefer to hang out with you and really talk to you. Ant, dont let those stupid pathetic insecure girls get to you over grammer. Like you said, Im sure they are perfect like Babymomakell and Maremare312. They really do need to let people edit the topic.

Great job editing your post... I never said I was perfect. Actually my post was a polite correction... It was YOU that decided to throw the insults around...

Why do people feel the need to correct other people's grammar? It is a bit rude unless you are an english teacher marking papers.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    ^ It is a little rude.
    I do reserve the right to screencap it and show it to all my friends, though :)
    I don't usually correct people, but I cringe on the inside, and my soul aches for them. Then I screencap it and show it to my friends :wink:
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Well my relationship just ended because my ex broke into my phone and went through every single text from the past 4 months and several Facebook messages before I woke up and caught him. So yeah I'd say they can certainly do that.

But I don't think that's quite how you meant it, lol.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    for me, poor grammar and not knowing how to spell would kill more relationships than someone checking crap on their phone ;)

BAZINGA.

I like angry birds and Google maps.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm not in a relationship so difficult to comment.

However... I have a (platonic) male friend who has been really ill for a long period of time. He didn't answer the phone, respond to emails.... The only way I ever had a chance of him responding was text.

Now he's significantly better he can send me 5-600 texts a month. Anyone else I'd ***** a bit, but after a long period of worrying like hell if he was even alive some days I always respond.... Other people who stuck to trying to ring him / call round his house etc hear from him much less so in a strange way texts have kept our friendship going and made it stronger.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    if two people have the same technology and have the same level of connectedness to the world, there should be no problem.

it's when it's not evenly balanced is when problems start. you need a compatible addiction. ;)

I agree with this, if my boyfriend was into facebook etc like I was there'd be no problem, but since facebook has taken over with sharing information he's become sick of it. He hates hearing people say "oh yeah, I saw that on facebook" and because I love facebook because I talk to several of my close friends and family more often than I would if it weren't for facebook, he hates that I'm on it all the time. I love sharing photos with instant gratification.
    I'd love to quit facebook but it's a big step! I know many people who don't have it and purely talk on the phone, text occasionally and see people face to face who are really happy with that.
  • meandtwocats
    Options
    Yes! I went to lunch with a group of friends and one of them was looking in her lap for most of the time. The next couple of times we have gotten together we did not tell her because we felt that she was not interested in our conversation but more interested in her text messages.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all who took up for me. It was very nice of you and very kind. You guys rock. It was a mistake and when I realized it, I was unable to correct it. Some people always feel to nitpick other about everything. I made a grammer mistake, so what? How many of those who felt the need to correct me or point it out use slang or shorten words? Thats not proper english. Chillin, omg, cra cra, dat, shawty, hey you, dawg, what up, for realz, yo, aint, and many more are not proper English either. I am sure if I knew you, I could pick out words that you use that are not proper. I am in no way putting people down who use those words but they are not proper.

Some feel the need to nitpick at others cause it makes them feel better about themselves. It is rude to correct strangers. No one asked you for your input. I posted about something about something that Ive noticed lately and wanted feedback. I didnt want feedback on my grammer. So what if you are better at it than me. I am better than you with other things. I could go into income, relationships, and many other things but I dont want to come off as a jerk. A couple of you I recognize from the other boards always talking about relationship problems. Hmmmmm, wonder why. So what you are a teacher, that means what to people? Do you want to really compare careers, intellect, and degrees? I do not think you want to. Get over yourself and quit thinking people care about what you think.

Next time keep your opinions to yourself unless someone asks you what do you think. Thank you to all who replied to my thread. I will not post another one again. I am done with the message boards. Take care everyone.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Next time keep your opinions to yourself unless someone asks you what do you think. Thank you to all who replied to my thread. I will not post another one again. I am done with the message boards. Take care everyone.

Sorry to hear the nitpickers have put you off the forums, I for one enjoy your posts. Glad I still get to enjoy your posts on my wall :drinker:
  • Rayand22
    Rayand22 Posts: 18
    Options

Sorry to hear the nitpickers have put you off the forums, I for one enjoy your posts. Glad I still get to enjoy your posts on my wall :drinker:

I agree. Its sad that you are leaving the boards over some rude people. Your posts are great. I am glad I get to see your funny posts on my wall as well. They make me smile everyday.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It seems people just don't talk or interact anymore.

Sorry if I don't get this, or if it has been pointed out already but surely if people are using their "smartphones", be it when they're walking, sitting on a bus, whatever (having sex lol), they are interacting and normally talking to someone?!

Sorry I just find your post a bit contradictory.
  • Rayand22
    Rayand22 Posts: 18
    Options

Sorry if I don't get this, or if it has been pointed out already but surely if people are using their "smartphones", be it when they're walking, sitting on a bus, whatever (having sex lol), they are interacting and normally talking to someone?!

People are talking or interacting with people, just not with the people that they are hanging out with in person because they are always on their phones tweeting, facebooking, and texting. Please do not tell me that you never see people on their phones ignoring who ever they are physically hanging out with. Its everywhere and its annoying. Maybe it is an American thing. I do not know. Use Google, there are a great deal of articles that cover this subject. Being on your phone all the time is not spending quality time with the people who are actually out with you. That is why I do not hang out with my girlfriends as much. They are always on their phones. It is not fun. My pet peeve is when i am on a date with a guy, the phone better be put up so we can talk. I am not there to watch someone be on the phone during the whole date. It is rude.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options

People are talking or interacting with people, just not with the people that they are hanging out with in person because they are always on their phones tweeting, facebooking, and texting. Please do not tell me that you never see people on their phones ignoring who ever they are physically hanging out with. Its everywhere and its annoying. Maybe it is an American thing. I do not know. Use Google, there are a great deal of articles that cover this subject. Being on your phone all the time is not spending quality time with the people who are actually out with you. That is why I do not hang out with my girlfriends as much. They are always on their phones. It is not fun. My pet peeve is when i am on a date with a guy, the phone better be put up so we can talk. I am not there to watch someone be on the phone during the whole date. It is rude.

aha so the real issue here then isn't the fact that people use "smartphones", it is the fact that they use them when other people are around. That is annoying and yep it is happening everywhere you look!

The thing I like best is when you see a group of friends and one of them has headphones in! I mean seriously if you want to hang out that's cool but either share the headphones with me or turn the damn thing off for five minutes! :grumble:

Any man on a date with you, not paying attention to you is an idiot! :flowerforyou:
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

I agree. Its sad that you are leaving the boards over some rude people. Your posts are great. I am glad I get to see your funny posts on my wall as well. They make me smile everyday.

THIS
  • melcap86
    melcap86 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Its a sad reality but technology has taken over most of society, nothing can really be done to stop it. In fact I am one of these people who is addicted to their smartphone. My boyfriend is constantly making fun of me, but I also know when to use it and when not to use it. I personally also find it very annoying when your sitting there having dinner with someone and they are on their phone the whole time. Unfortunately, nothing can really be donw to change it and in fact in might probably even get worse from here.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Wow. MFP is pretty tame compared to a lot of other places on the Internet. I'd hate to see your reaction to some real vitriol.