Is smartphones killing your relationship?

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Being that my fiance lives states away, no. I'd say it's neccessary.
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    Long STORY short yes.... ended my marriage of 8 years...
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I are loving this this thread :) Babymomakell you can correct my posts anytime. :bigsmile:

I use my smartphone a lot, but when I am around the wife/kids. I put it away. No big deal.

1170403838296sx3.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope... it enhances it... if you know what I mean... ;-)

but on a serious note, that while I am a bit relient on my smartphone (and my husband his)... after a couple of days I could most certianly do without it.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    It's a problem for my fiance and I (but moreso me). We will be sitting on the couch watching a movie, while both of us are on our iPhones. We check Facebook, MFP and emails while out at a restaurant, in bed, eating meals... it's pretty appalling. I really need to cut back on how much time I spend online, especially as I'm online all day at work too.

THIS IS ME AND MY HUSBAND :( makes me sad-
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Some people just have addictive behaviors. if it wasn't the smart phone in their life, it'd be another thing. Its all about self-management either way.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Cell phones, TV, and internet are a part of my life, but honestly, if it wasn't for work and strictly information gathering--I wouldn't give a **** I didn't have all three. I was still part of the age group that went outside and rode bicycles and played baseball.
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    First hand experience my BF is completely addicted we constantly argued about this. It's to a point now that he doesn't even notice the things I do because he is so enthralled with his phone...but for every thing he doesn't notice there are a couple other people who do. Sucks to say that but it's true...

I make it a point to leave my phone either in my car or in my purse when I'm home with my family. Other than the occasional MFP logging I've pretty much deleted most of the apps that were taking away from my time with my daughter (words w/friends, twitter, facebook etc) I go on these if at all on the computer when she's sleeping.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It seems people just don't talk or interact anymore.

Sorry if I don't get this, or if it has been pointed out already but surely if people are using their "smartphones", be it when they're walking, sitting on a bus, whatever (having sex lol), they are interacting and normally talking to someone?!

Sorry I just find your post a bit contradictory.

I meant IN PERSON/FACE TO FACE...sorry
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Next time keep your opinions to yourself unless someone asks you what do you think.

If you don't want opinions, do not ask for them. This is a public forum, so anyone may respond as they wish. You do not dictate what or who posts on it.
    Wow. MFP is pretty tame compared to a lot of other places on the Internet. I'd hate to see your reaction to some real vitriol.

I agree!!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I opened this just to see if someone would be a grammar nazi and correct the title of this post. lol I knew someone would!! haha
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Any man on a date with you, not paying attention to you is an idiot! :flowerforyou:

I know this was directed at Rachael above, but I have been on plenty of dates where the woman fidgeted with her phone instead of being in the moment with me, and that annoys me to no end. :grumble:
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This is the way of technology. I'm sure people thought "I never see <persons name here> anymore because we have telephones now." or when cars were more common "It feels like <persons name here> is never home any more thanks to that gosh dang car."

Adjust or gripe, this is how things are now.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Convenience in general kills relationships. It used to take effort to build and maintain a relationship with someone, even a completely platonic friendship. And those relationships meant more because a person was investing time in you (and you in them).

These days, you can be someone's "friend" by adding them on Facebook and watching their life from afar without ever actually being involved in it, aside from the occasional comment on a photo or status update. Sadly, romantic relationships are devolving into the same thing ... you've been tapping out meaningless messages to each other on your cell phones all day long, so there's no need to call or Skype or spend quality time together. The problem is that people accept this as "normal" because "the times have changed." If you're not satisfied with merely being on the receiving end of 500 text messages every day, you're just being difficult.

Well, I still maintain that it's not the times that have changed ... it's the people.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I am rarely on my phone and a lot of time don't even keep it with me. People know that and don't really expect immediate replies from me, I don't carry my phone from room to room with me or anything like that.
    My husband is ALWAYS on his phone, not playing games or anything, it's because of his job, someone is always calling or texting and I get mad about it, we can't even eat a meal without having several interruptions. He's getting better about it, at least waiting until we are done eating dinner to use it. If it's really important, they will call and leave a message, then he has to check that in case it's some sort of emergency, but most things can wait 20-30min until we finish our meal! His employees think they have to text to ***** and moan about every little thing, they used to even call at 2am and such to whine about something that def. could have waited until morning, until I said, if that phone rings after 10pm again and it's not an emergency, I will be the one answering and they WILL get the point, I guarentee they won't call late again... he was being way too nice about it
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    What study? Difficult to believe.

On the phone during sex. That is incredibly depressing.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't know why... but this bothers me... lol

"Is smartphones killing your relationship?"

Should be:

"Are smartphones killing your relationship?"

Sorry, Thank you, and Continue =)

This post was harmless. Some of you people need to lighten up. Seriously!

Not only that but he stated in the last paragraph that he noticed the error after he posted but couldn't fix it and people STILL got upset about it!
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    To all of you people who are "politely correcting the grammatical error in the topic", did you not read his post to the end?
    btw, I made a grammer error and wanted to change it but ut wouldn't let me so im sorry to offend the uptight prissy chicks who always feel the need to call people out. I guess they are perfect. never uses slang, never shorten words like lol, and never make mistakes. [/qute]

See? He knew he made and error and he pointed it out so the Grammar Police keep their badges away. Apparently they have the inability to read an entire post.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    To all of you people who are "politely correcting the grammatical error in the topic", did you not read his post to the end?

Actually, he added that edit after people noted the mistake.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Actually, he added that edit after people noted the mistake.

And your point was.....?