Best Calorie Burn Exercises, anyone?

Options
At the moment, I am working for a 500 calorie burn in a hour at the gym with a mix of cardio, but wondered if anyone had any great exercises for high calorie burn?

Also, randomly - how many calories does Gillian's 30 day shred burn, anyone know?

Thanks x

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that an hour of Zumba is about 500 caloaries.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    30 DS generally gives 280-350 for my female friends that do it. A little more for me but I'm a fairly big guy. You might want to look into water aerobics as I get my most effective burns in the pool. I use an HRM and I can get as much as 800 cals in an hour.
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    it's called m-100's you probably won't complete them right off, it took me a few weeks but now that i've been doing them for a while i just made a record of 2m 55s recently, you can tell for sure it works, good luck :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkD9LwDBWW0
  • nc_blue82
    nc_blue82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All depends on how much you weigh and your intensity levels. I find this site useful sometimes, especially for a sensor check on mfp calculcations:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Hope this helps.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    HIIT will burn the most, but it all depends on your personal effort and intensity. Running burns tons, especially if you do sprint intervals. Honestly, it's not all about the calorie burn either. You need to do some strength training on top of the cardio to get good muscle tone. When you build muscle your muscle then burns more calories throughout the day. Cardio is great but too many people rely solely on cardio and don't get the results they want. High burns are good, but strength training changes your shape faster and with better results than cardio alone. Wear a HRM and you will get a good look at how much you burn during each exercise.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I find swimming to be one of the best burns out there, and it's really low impact, which I NEED. If your gym has a pool, try it out
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There's some research out there that is supported quite a bit that says HIIT is the best fat burning exercise. Google it. I used to do it on a treadmill. But, you can do it in almost anything.

Sorry, I just re-read and realized you want highest cal burn, not fat burn.

I think running is up there. An hour of running is around 600 cals.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    I used to run for 5 minutes then walk for 1 minute, repeat 10 times, so an hour of exercise. The treadmill at the gym used to tell me I'd burned between 700 and 800 calories (depending on how I had the settings in terms of speed and gradient).
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight & speed - running w/ HRM and GPS tracker outdoors gives me approx 1050-1100 calories per hour (7.5 miles per hour).

As you get lighter though the burns drop off...
  • fsahun
    fsahun Posts: 4
    Options
    Try the Kettlebell training. It's very effective since it uses almost all of your muscles, especially the snatch. At the first time, please visit an RKC trainer, beacuse of the weight you should use (she or he can decide) and show the proper exercises for you to avoid injuries or problems.
    They say the kettlebell training could burn up to 20 Calories in a minute. Don't fear (if you do) from the weight-training, you won't be muscular if you do this method.
  • cosmicrelief
    cosmicrelief Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have heard Zumba is good for it too...

Very surprised by the aqua burn.
  • RWBoston
    RWBoston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine takes spinning classes and typically burns between 700 - 800 calories per 60-minute class.

I burn anywhere from 500 - 600 calories in my Turbo Kick classes (I wear a heart rate monitor).

I definitely recommend taking an intense aerobics class!
  • ArSeN23
    ArSeN23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    it's called m-100's you probably won't complete them right off, it took me a few weeks but now that i've been doing them for a while i just made a record of 2m 55s recently, you can tell for sure it works, good luck :)

This looks awesome indeed. How do you track the calories you burn with it?
  • impossibianca
    Options
    running. nothing beats running :) an hour is about 500+ calories :)
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    .... I heard you burn MORE calories in the MORNING than you do at NIGHT? Is this true......?
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    running,swimming and rowing are meant to be the top 3 burning sports x
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    30DS always burned about 150-200 for me. (5'8", 120 pounds)

An hour of walking with some sprinting thrown in = 300-370
    Half hour of jogging is about 300
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options

This looks awesome indeed. How do you track the calories you burn with it?

with the afterburn effect taken into account it is said that if you can complete them in around 3 minutes it burns about 400-450 calories, so when i do them i figure in a flat 200 just to be safe (2 cal per rep) i figure if they say it does double that i should be ok.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi! I walk for about 70 minutes and burn 500cals but the most effective workout I do every week is my Kettlebell class, I can burn up to 1100 cals in 60 minutes, it's intense but is such a great all body workout, I love it. I also do a Thump Boxing class and burn around 800 cals.

If I had to pick only one exercise per week it would be Kettlebells, great calorie burn and great fun :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention I use a HRM so calorie burn is pretty accurate.
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love spin! My HRM says i burn about 800 cals in an hour and according to the intensity of the class it can get to almost 1000. I don't know if this is typical because my spin instructors tend to go hard and fast for the entire hour.