Best Calorie Burn Exercises, anyone?

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    .... I heard you burn MORE calories in the MORNING than you do at NIGHT? Is this true......?

Only if your body is capable of a more intense and vigorous workout in the morning than at night, and that varies from person to person.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Kinda simple actually, Get a polar HRM. Burning calories is based on effort and everyone is going to be different. MFP estimates and machines are so way off for me, it usually says I burned double.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry, forgot to write the exercises...running, high incline walking on the treadmill----no hands, moderate resistance on the elliptical, circuit training.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    for me 4 time a week cycling burns between 1350 1470 calories per 58minutes. but I am a lard *kitten*. Fast but still...
    It depends on what you weigh, and how much effort. Me I weigh 245lb, and cycle at between 18.7mph and 30mph.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The two cardio exercised that will get your heart up the highest and fastest is jump rope and using an elliptical.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    At the moment, I am working for a 500 calorie burn in a hour at the gym with a mix of cardio, but wondered if anyone had any great exercises for high calorie burn?

Also, randomly - how many calories does Gillian's 30 day shred burn, anyone know?

Thanks x

Hot Yoga/Bikram Yoga burns around 800 calories in 90 minutes! It's an amazing workout!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym, do they have a Jacob's Ladder? That'll do it.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, I can get 700+ calories burned from a 1 hour step aerobics DVD if I hold hand weights while doing it.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    All depends on how much you weigh and your intensity levels. I find this site useful sometimes, especially for a sensor check on mfp calculcations:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Hope this helps.

^This.

Not everyone will burn the same amount of calories. Jillians 30DS, for me burns about 126 calories, for a friend of mine it burns 167 calories. Everyones total burned will be different.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Low-Impact: Swimming.

High-Impact: Metabolic Conditioning. Mix of weightlifting with medium weight, bodyweight, and cardio exercises. Here's an example: 3 Rounds of Run 400m, 21 KB Swings (Guys 55 lbs/Girls 35 lbs), and 12 Pull-ups. Do all 3 exercises, then repeat 3 times. Took me 17 minutes, and I'm in pretty good shape. The idea is that you switch the primary muscle groups, whilst still working hard the whole time.
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. A lot of you recommend Kettlebells...

I might sound really stupid, but where do you find classes/exercises with them?

I've never seen them anywhere.

Thanks
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Intensity of any exercise will get your HR up and burn the calories. If you do an Insanity workout and only half *kitten* it, you wont get much. But if you put your all into it-you'll burn and sweat like crazy! If you go with just simple moves-squats, combination moves, HIIT Sprints of some sort work. Just bring the intensity and try to maintain good form! oh yeah and get a hr monitor to record it!
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Your "lard *kitten*" made my smile. I'm a Brit living in the US and your comment took me right back home again!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    kettlebells
  • livestrongforhim
    Options
    I am a swimmer and a runner and they both are GREAT calorie burners if you do them long enough :)
  • lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also, randomly - how many calories does Gillian's 30 day shred burn, anyone know?

When i wear my heart monitor level one is around 180 cals burned and level 2 is 218 cals burn
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Try a Kickboxing or an MMA conditioning class, you will burn 500-800 in the hour. you will work cardio and help build a little muscle in the arms. It's fun too!
  • Kipperdog123
    Options
    BIKE
  • mom2lynn
    mom2lynn Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor, and you can easily burn 750 - 1000 calories in an hour long class! It completely varies by instructor, but I've worn a HRM to a lot of different classes, and even a "lower" intensity 45 min Zumba class was consistently burning ~400 calories in 45 min. Plus it's lots of fun and you don't even realize you're working out as hard as you are. :) GL!