Best Calorie Burn Exercises, anyone?

Options

Replies

• dorean79
    dorean79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love these workouts! I highly recommend them. They will make you sweat. Reminds me of the training I would get at sports camps when I was in high school.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred only burned 180-197 calories for me with my very best effort.

Mixing strength and cardio is the best option for burning calories. When you lift weights you burn more calories long term. Remember that it isn't really all about the calories. All exercise burns cals, it's about what is best for your body long term!

That being said, HIIT will definitely get you high burns and and you can do HIIT on the elliptical as well, which really is killer for calories burned.

Last, get a heart rate monitor so you can accurately track!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns the most calories. A combo of HIIT and strength training burns the most FAT! For me, I'm less concerned with calories as I am with burning fat and keeping lean muscle mass. Just food for thought.
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    You can't beat weight lifting for burning calories. Its known to burn up to twice the amount of calories as cardio in the same time. Also the more muscle you develop the better your body becomes at burning calories too.

Heavy weights low reps is best :) This is better than doing light weight and lots of reps.

There's a book called The New Rules Of Lifting For Women which is supposed to be very good and popular on here. Good luck with it all :)
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I get my biggest burn from Spin (indoor cycling) or circuits, it depends how much I push myself and my heart rate up though!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: zumba,running,fast walking,swimming and cross trainer are about the best honey x
  • MzBritt327
    MzBritt327 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I found for me that Zumba and Tae bo burn the most calories. But that does depend on your weight and the intensity level
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) will burn the most in my experience. For that I do BodyCombat, Power Kick, and treadmill intervals. For Power Kick, in 77 mins, I burned 592 cal (as measured by my HRM). BodyCombat, 60 mins, 468 cal. Treadmill Interval, 37 mins, 323 cal.

Just remember calorie burns will depend on your weight, intensity level, and fitness. The fitter/more healthy you are, the less you will burn unfortunately (during a workout at least).
  • fsahun
    fsahun Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone. A lot of you recommend Kettlebells...

I might sound really stupid, but where do you find classes/exercises with them?

I've never seen them anywhere.

Thanks

http://www.ikff.net/about/find-an-instructor/30.html
    There's two instructors near by you if I'm right. :)
    If you can, find an RKC trainer, that's the most strict training program.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone in here is WRONG. like flat out wrong, and just parroting what their favourite cardio is...

truth time. What burns the most calories is ANYTHING thats the most intense movement you're able to do for the period of time you are able to exercise... Thats it. That can be individual, and based upon someone's fitness level and ability.

for beginners, this is usually running cardio as they just don't have the strength to lift heavy enough to get a calorie burn or are technical/in shape enough to sprint or swim. Intermediate will be more like resistance endurance based movements like swim sprinting, rowing while pushing lactic acid thresholds. Intervals, or resistance circuit training. For advanced, this is lifting heavy weights with compound movements as it will obliterate any cardio training in the same time frame for calorie burn.. Ask anyone trying to gain weight just how hard it is when they lift heavy.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone in here is WRONG. like flat out wrong, and just parroting what their favourite cardio is...

truth time. What burns the most calories is ANYTHING thats the most intense movement you're able to do for the period of time you are able to exercise... Thats it. That can be individual, and based upon someone's fitness level and ability.

for beginners, this is usually running cardio as they just don't have the strength to lift heavy enough to get a calorie burn or are technical/in shape enough to sprint or swim. Intermediate will be more like resistance endurance based movements like swim sprinting, rowing while pushing lactic acid thresholds. Intervals, or resistance circuit training. For advanced, this is lifting heavy weights with compound movements as it will obliterate any cardio training in the same time frame for calorie burn.. Ask anyone trying to gain weight just how hard it is when they lift heavy.
    Sorry but that is just out and out not true... :)

What burns the most calories is what exercise that has the highest sustainable rate for the longest, so lifting weight for 15 seconds with a minute rest, x 3 for maybe 20 different exercises can in no way burn as many calories as cycling flat out at 80%vo2max for 30 minutes. And as a bonus do that three times a week, you increase your overall Vo2max by a significant % (5 or so percent over two months) which mean you can increase the efficiency of the workout and increase the burn of calories.

Weight training doing heavy weights for body building a 200lb person will burn maybe 600 calories per hour, which is less than running slowly for the same period ( the same 200lb person will burn 700 running@5mph) and cycling at a moderate pace uses roughly (cycling @12mph) 650 per hour. , or at a fast pace 16mph will burn 1000 calories (I average 1350 per hour)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that an hour of Zumba is about 500 caloaries.

I think zumba burns are a bit overstated, and also vary a lot class to class.
  • Jynus
    Options

What burns the most calories is what exercise that has the highest sustainable rate for the longest, so lifting weight for 15 seconds with a minute rest, x 3 for maybe 20 different exercises can in no way burn as many calories as cycling flat out at 80%vo2max for 30 minutes. And as a bonus do that three times a week, you increase your overall Vo2max by a significant % (5 or so percent over two months) which mean you can increase the efficiency of the workout and increase the burn of calories.

Weight training doing heavy weights for body building a 200lb person will burn maybe 600 calories per hour, which is less than running slowly for the same period ( the same 200lb person will burn 700 running@5mph) and cycling at a moderate pace uses roughly (cycling @12mph) 650 per hour. , or at a fast pace 16mph will burn 1000 calories (I average 1350 per hour)
    negatory. during the hours exercised, you're correct. but resistance training increases metabolism afterwards by a far larger amounts afterwards from recovery. Repairing frayed muscle tissue isn't done from thin air, it's done from calories eaten from food. Doing cardio or endurance based resistance exercise does not even remotely have this same level of afterburn as there is no overload of muscles causing this fraying of muscle tissue.

Again, I get back to asking anyone who can lift heavy how much they eat when trying to gain weight. for me personally it was 5k a day. I could lose weight on 3k a day. all this with 4-5 days resistance training a week for an hour, no cardio. so it was FARRR greater than 600 calories an hour for me. more like 1500 when factored in over the week by just how much i had to increase my calories per day once i got serious about training..

edit: and those calorie totals are off... average guy at 188HR, 70% VO2max was averaged at 420calories/45min from exercise. 5mph should be far below 188HR, I can dam near walk that speed. Thats metabolic chamber testing too, so it's 100% accurate. Unlike online calculators or MET calculators.

double edit. and 1350 in an hour is flat out impossible. tour de france riders average about 750/hour by comparison.

triple edit: proof. http://www.bicycling.com/garmin-insider/featured-stories/eating-tour-de-france

Or are you claiming you exercise at an intensity thats almost twice that of a tour de france rider in order to get your increased calorie burn???
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Running everytime will burn over 600 cals in an hour. If you wear a heart monitor and burn between 60% and 80& V02 you will also maximise and target fat burning as well.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Chill dude
  • tadpole242
    Options
    More muscle more energy to fuel it, I agree, and this is where a lot of weightlifters get it wrong. Read the study that started this whole “ weight training boosts your metabolic rate for hours or even days” , two things stand out, to get the best results, you have to train at 70% of Vo2max and stay that way for 90 minute or more. And that weight training does increase the resting metabolic rate, with an increase calorie burn of between 10% and 20% (250 calories to 500 calories per day). However the report also states this happens (or seems to only happen) in people over 50 years of age.
  • Jynus
    Options
    More muscle more energy to fuel it, I agree, and this is where a lot of weightlifters get it wrong. Read the study that started this whole “ weight training boosts your metabolic rate for hours or even days” , two things stand out, to get the best results, you have to train at 70% of Vo2max and stay that way for 90 minute or more. And that weight training does increase the resting metabolic rate, with an increase calorie burn of between 10% and 20% (250 calories to 500 calories per day). However the report also states this happens (or seems to only happen) in people over 50 years of age.
    hmm? VO2MAX has nothing to do with weight training... so why would it matter? As for the only happens in people over 50 years of age, I can honestly say thats... just off. As again, I implore you to ask ANYONE who's very strong what their calorie total is while training, I assure you it's through the roof. microfrayed muscle takes up to 50 hours to repair and recover. What exactly do you think it's repaired with if not energy from calories?? Thats biology at work, and not some phenomena that only happens past 50 years of age.
  • tadpole242
    Options

double edit. and 1350 in an hour is flat out impossible. tour de france riders average about 750/hour by comparison.

triple edit: proof. http://www.bicycling.com/garmin-insider/featured-stories/eating-tour-de-france

Or are you claiming you exercise at an intensity thats almost twice that of a tour de france rider in order to get your increased calorie burn???
    Tour-de-France rider
    Laurens ten Dam (my online friend)

Thursday, 19/07/2012 MS
    89.5mi Distance
    17,124ft Elevation
    04:29:24 Moving Time (1422 calories per hour)
    6,466 Calories

Saturday, 21/07/2012 TT
    33.0mi Distance
    654ft Elevation
    01:10:13 Moving Time
    1,971 Calories burnt (1698 calories per hour)
    He weighs around 140lb

Tuesday 23/7/2012
    8.8mi Distance
    95ft Elevation
    29:59 Moving Time
    689 Calories
    I on the other hand weigh 245lb

It’s clear from your edits that you really don’t have a clue about how this all works.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Ah the miraculous afterburn of weight training. Here we go again.

I think someone did attempt to help Jynus with his maths last time around on this topic. But apparently it didn't sink in.

Off to watch paint dry while the cardio vs weights war plays out again.

Have fun, peeps.
  • tadpole242
    Options
    Ah the miraculous afterburn of weight training. Here we go again.

I think someone did attempt to help Jynus with his maths last time around on this topic. But apparently it didn't sink in.

Off to watch paint dry while the cardio vs weights war plays out again.

Have fun, peeps.
    Ha thanks for the heads up. I didn't know. I'm new (soz)